Calculate times of sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset and more for your location at any given date.
The following data is calculated:
- Solar noon
- Day length
- Equation of time
- Civil twilight (Dawn/Dusk)
- Nautical twilight (Dawn/Dusk)
- Astronomical twilight (Dawn/Dusk)
- Azimuth at sunrise and sunset
- Altitude during solar noon
- Sun track
- Date and time of Seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter)
- Solstice and Equinox dates
- Date and time of next solar eclipse
- Moon transit
- Moon phase
- Date and time of next new moon
- Date and time of next full moon
- Azimuth at moonrise and moonset
- Altitude during moon transit
- Moon track
- Date and time of next lunar eclipse
Some information for the current day can also be viewed in the notification center.
To specify the location of interest either get the position from the built-in GPS or Wifi receiver or select a city from a database with over 400,000 cities in over 200 countries.
- Fixed: When choosing Google Maps as map provider the data (altitude/azimuth) of current position of sun or moon was not correct.
- Fixed: Widgets: On the day of the switch from/to DST the sunset time might have been off by one hour for locations in the far east or Oceania.
- Fixed: When enabling or disabling GPS tracking on the map page the current location on the map was not updated as expected.
Ratings and Reviews
Mostly great app and love the new widget, but...
Update: “system” theme fixed in widget so it automatically switches between light and dark. One star added.
I’ve used this app for years, mostly to check the sunrise and sunset times, and the moon phase. I love the new widget. My one nit is the color scheme. I have iOS set to automatically shift from light during the day to dark at night. It would be really nice if LunaSolCal also supported this. In the main app, the only choices are dark and light. The widget offers dark, light, and system. I hoped that “system” meant that it would select whatever scheme iOS was using. But as far as I can tell, system doesn’t do anything. Still, other than that it’s a great app.
UPDATE: Once Great!
11 MAY 2019
Thank you for the reply.
Since leaving my updated review about this problem I have discovered that sometimes opening and closing the app is enough the restore notifications. However when that fails, turning off the alarm in question, turning it back on, re-selecting both the time and the tone restores notification mode.
I do not use “do not disturb” mode, so that isn’t the problem here. My other apps consistently send notifications so I don’t think it’s a problem with the settings or iPhone. It seems that when I mute a notification while the alarm is going off the app turns off future notifications. I haven’t tested this, it may only be an annoying coincidence. I gave back 2 stars because of your quick reply And I figured out how to fix it.
Alarms for sunrise and sunset no longer work. I have turned them off and back on, adjusted them (to go off one minute before the event, etc.) and changed the alarm sound; nothing works. Alarms still go off for moon rise and moon set, solar noon, and the equinoxes so I don’t think it is my iPhone being squirrelly.
Unfortunately, the sunrise and sunset alarms are most important alarms. Not having them is a huge disappointment.
This is a fantastic app — as it always has been — it works very well with the latest iPhone OS. I especially like the customizable alarms which you can set for any number of celestial events.
Keep up the good work guys!
Developer Response ,
One reason why certain alarms won't work might be that the (scheduled) "Do not disturb" mode has been turned on on your iPhone.
I check this app multiple times a day. I am always checking where the sun and moon are in the sky. I love the well thought out graphics. It is easy to use and a great aid for explaining the solar and lunar dynamics to others. There are no substitute apps for this one. It is one of a kind!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Volker Vocking
- 77.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Volker Voecking Software Engineering
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.