Magellan Jr is the bold new professional analog modeling synthesizer for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Modeled after its acclaimed big brother, Magellan for iPad, you can now create powerful music wherever you go. With extensive MIDI capabilities and near-zero latency, Magellan Jr is a fierce live-performance machine.
Complete with a full FX rack, three oscillators, dual filters, multiple unison stages, extensive modulation matrix, arpeggiator, and a polyphonic step-sequencer - the aural possibilities with Magellan Jr are infinite! Magellan Jr and Magellan are completely compatible: presets, sequences and sound recordings are easily interchangeable.
Visit YONAC.COM for video demos and Magellan Jr's *full* spec list
\\\ Synth ///
• 3 oscillators w/selectable waveforms
• Osc unison stage w/ adjustable detune & width, up to 12 simultaneous wave generators for super-saw type effects
• Realtime PWM Modulation for osc 1 & 2
• FM module w/ dedicated blend, ADSR envelope & contour
• Oscillator 2>1 ring mod
• Noise generator w/ adjustable tone
• VCA ADSR envelope
• Separate voice unison stage w/ settable stereo spread, detune
• Dual Keyboards
• Dual Touch Pad controls w/ settable key & scale, adjustable glide & individual voice parameterization
• Polyphonic, Monophonic, Poly/Mono Legato operation modes
• Matrixpad modulation w/ configurable x/y destinations and optional snapback
• Realtime oscilloscope displaying output signal (iPhone 4S and later)
• Audio backgrounding
• Tap tempo
• 10 voice polyphony (5 voice for iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4)
\\\ Filters ///
• 2 filter banks, configurable in series or parallel
• Dedicated ADSR envelope for each bank; selectable envelope curve, adjustable contour
• 11 Filter types for each bank:
• "Magellan" 24dB Resonant Low Pass
• "Victor" 24dB Resonant Low/High/Band Pass
• "Voyvoda" 12dB Low/High/Band Pass
• Formant, Comb, All-Pass, Notch filters
\\\ Modulation ///
• Dual LFOs
• 3 freely assignable destinations per LFO
• Dedicated amp setting for each LFO destination
• 3 reset modes
• Adjustable phase & delay
• Frequency tracking & BPM Sync
\\\ Arp ///
• 10 arp patterns; Settable note value & gate; swing
• 6 octaving modes, plus settable note and octave repeats
\\\ Sequencer ///
• Analog inspired 16/32 step polyphonic sequencer
• 8 track poly output per pattern in 16-step, 4 track poly out in 32-step "link" mode
• Settable pitch, velocity, gate, octave per step
• 6 stepping algorithms
• Timeline for creating song length sequences w/ patterns
• Import/Export song files containing sequences
\\\ Chordmaker ///
• Create/save chord progressions, played by pressing a single key
\\\ FX ///
• Comprehensive FX rack w/ adjustable flow order. FX include Equalizer, Compressor, Reverb, Stereo Delay w/ BPM sync, Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Waveshaper/Distortion, Bitcrusher, Sonic Expander
\\\ Recording & Sharing ///
• Built in tape deck for recording app audio
• Export/Import audio files via email, WiFi, Intua or Sonoma Audio Copy/Paste
\\\ Connectivity & MIDI ///
• Use as Audiobus input or FX processor
• Inter-App Audio Instrument or FX
• CoreMIDI & Virtual MIDI with In & Out ports
• Control Magellan w/ external MIDI controllers
• MIDI Out w/ settable channel or omni
• MIDI Learn w/ over 250 control destinations
• Save MIDI CC maps
• Sync w/ external MIDI clocks to control sequencer & arp
\\\ Presets ///
• SPAWN artificial intelligence algorithm for generating countless new presets with a single touch
• Over 300 factory presets
• 2 banks & a song by Sunsine Audio
• A bank by New Wave Presets
\\\ Requirements ///
• iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, or later
This version of Magellan Jr introduces Ableton Link integration, and also includes numerous optimizations and modernizations under the hood.
Simply access Link settings by going to Menu -> Prefs -> MIDI, and touching the provided button. Join a local or networked Link session to sync Magellan Jr’s global tempo with that of other client apps. In addition, our implementation provides beat-syncing for Magellan Jr’s built in sequencer so that you will always be in phase with other beat-syncing apps.
Ratings and Reviews
Crashes on iOS 10.3.2
This is a unique software synth with a lot of possibilities. It is powerful but sometimes a little too congested with buttons, etc. Finding the right balance between number of features and a smooth interface is a challenge, I understand. Overall it does a pretty good job with this balance. I'm just concerned that support and updates are starting to lag... with the latest iOS update 10.3.2 the app will not open on my iPhone 7 plus. Hopefully either iOS or Magellan will address this issue-- otherwise the software is useless.
Great synth. Amazing layout, great sound, randomizer for creating new random synths.
Also this synth sounds and runs better than almost any other synth I've used. Yonac makes quality software for musicians.
The only bone I hate to pick is that unfortunately a lot of the synths sound very steppy but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also lfo amounts are rediculous for pitch modulation. Setting the amount of osc pitch at anything above 1-3% they sound rediculous. Please fix and add more variety.
Sync mods or maybe other waveforms beside the basic four would be nice. Theres just nowhere near the amount of sonic variety that sunrizer has (but they discontinued it) but also its totally king of its corner of the sonic pallete and it sounds amazing
Please increase the price to $400
I love this synth. It's not sample based, mind you, but a great realization of an analog synth on iOS.
The only thing is they need to charge a lot more for this. Yonac is ripping itself off by charging this insane, bargain-busting price. Raise the price to $400 please!!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.