Magic Maps 2 is a tool for creating beautiful, informative maps. It includes a rich feature set and is much easier to use than high-end GIS packages. Here are some things you might do with Magic Maps:
• Color states or countries using data from a CSV file
• Create a custom map of sales territories
• Export a movie file showing how data have changed over time
• Mash up Shapefiles, GeoTIFF files, and custom points into a single map document
• Convert ArcGIS Shapefiles to KML
Maps created with Magic Maps have a signature, high-quality look because the program is built from the ground up using Apple's Core Graphics technology. Map layers can be managed similar to layers in Photoshop: simply drag to rearrange, check a box to add a drop shadow, use the slider to change opacity. Choose custom colors, point shapes, and line widths to create the look you want.
Magic Maps lets you choose and customize the map projection. Show the whole world with a Winkel Tripel projection, or reduce distortion with an equal area or conformal projection. If you want to create crisp-looking maps without the fuss of traditional GIS, or if you have a lot of geographic data you'd like to explore visually, Magic Maps is the tool for you.
• Layer-based map presentation
• Multiple data fields per layer
• Timelines of data totals and averages
• Click an entity to see its associated data
• Select multiple entities with a selection box
• "Top 100" list for any data field
• Click "Play" to watch any map evolve over time
• Multi-touch zooming and panning
Flexible data import
• Import data from CSV, KML, or Shapefiles
• Copy-paste data directly from a spreadsheet
• Support for UTF-8, Unicode, Latin-1, and Windows text encodings
Versatile map export
• For print or presentations: Export vectorized PDF
• For the web: Export PNG or SVG
• For spreadsheets: Export CSV data
• For YouTube: Export QuickTime movies
• For Google Earth: Export KML
Add custom points
• Point-and-click to add a point
• Manually enter decimal degrees or Degrees-Minutes-Seconds
• Geocoding of worldwide addresses and place names
• Batch CSV import
Add custom layers
• Import KML
• Import ESRI Shapefiles
• Import GeoTIFF
• Link data to custom layers
Fully customizable appearance
• Use the Paint tool to color a simple map
• Choose colors to represent text categories or numeric ranges
• Move labels by clicking and dragging
• Leading lines connect labels to their source
• Customize any fonts, colors, and sizes
• Choose one of six shapes to represent points
• Choose solid lines or one of four dash patterns
• Optional drop shadows on shapes
• Adjustable movie playback speed
Built-in math functions
• Compute year-over-year change
• Sum multiple variables together
• Divide one variable by another
• Scale by powers of 10
• Compute rolling average
• Compute weighted average
• Interpolate missing years
Professional map projections
• Albers Equal Area
• Lambert Conformal Conic
• Plate Carée
• Winkel Tripel
• Customize central meridian and standard parallels
Basic GIS functionality
• Count points within an area
• Aggregate point data within an area
• Draw a radius of a specified distance around points
• Compute distance to nearest point on another layer
• Perform simple queries using Smart Layers
• Area and length computations
Built-in geographic templates
• Countries of the world
• U.S. states, counties, metro areas
• Canadian provinces, Mexican states, and a combined North America template
• Australian states and territories
• Link data against FIPS codes or state/country name
What's new in Magic Maps 2
• Popover text fields for defining custom data ranges
• Include map legend on exported images
• Export QuickTime movies as high-def 1080p
• Higher-res physical earth template
• New "Earth at Night" template
Trouble importing? Find my email in the Help menu and we'll work it out.
May 2021 Update
• Fix an issue where map layers could not be exported as KML
Ratings and Reviews
A GIS Bargain
For geographic data visualization, this is hard to beat at any price. At the price, it is a bargain. Magic Maps 2 offers tremendous flexibility to analyze, display, and present data. It offers much better customization than web-based platforms.
Working with shape files to build a custom map need is very simple. This provides tremendous display flexibility. I have used downloadable shape files to visually present data on city wards, school districts, state legislative districts, and congressional districts. If you can find the shape file, Magic Maps can display it.
In particular, I should highlight my experience with support from the developer. This is unmatched in my experience. I have written him with issues. He has responded within hours and a fix follows shortly thereafter. Just stunningly great support.
The One and Only.
Magic Maps 2 is an extraordinary bargain in an area where the Macintosh OS is woefully difficient. That is in the area of mapping, cartography, Geographic Information Systems, and displaying spatial distributions. Whether the suject is a socioeconomic issue such as the distribution of wealth and poverty, regional illiteracy, or the geography of a disease, good maps showing good data are vital for sound analysis and policy.
Magic Maps 2 is an easy to use application that can display data through an area shading process, using know boundaries such as states, counties, urban placed, census tracts, and even census block groups. No other application on a Mac can do this for anything less than hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
I am impressed! I am a retired university professor who taught mapping classes for over three decades, so I think that my opinion is informed.
Map Maper 2 does not do many things, but what it does do, it does exceptionally well. If you want to create your own maps using the free boundary files created by the U.S. Census Bureau, this application is made for you. It imports many commonly used file structures and displays them flawlessly. It imports thematic (subject) data to polygons and points (such as cities) and export the finished products in a variety of common formats. Its exported pdf files can be edited in vector graphics programs such as Canvas 6 for the Mac.
The developer also offers a statistics analysis program that allows users to visualize and better understand their data before mapping it.
A great program at a great price!
Fails to import US address unless you have lat/long. I only tried one import but kicked out 14 for 14 cities in NC.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Evan Miller
- 67.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Evan Miller
- In-App Purchases
- 12-Month Free Trial
- 3-Month Subscription $13.99
- 12-Month Subscription $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.