MainStage 3 lets you take your Mac to the stage with a full-screen interface optimized for live performance, flexible hardware control, and a massive collection of plug-ins and sounds that are fully compatible with Logic Pro X.
The Ultimate Live Rig
• Perform live with more than 80 instrument, effect, and MIDI plug-ins or work with Audio Units plug-ins
• Add your sounds from Logic Pro X and GarageBand to bring your studio sound to the stage
• Support for the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro provides convenient controls for layout, editing, and performance
• Combine instruments and live audio, such as keyboards and vocals, in a single Patch
• Switch between Patches without stopping sound output or cutting off held notes
• Design rich keyboard Patches using splits and layers, the Arpeggiator, and other MIDI plug-ins
• Perform with stereo or multitrack backing tracks using Playback
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger sampled instruments
• Connect your favorite hardware and use it to play and control your plug-ins
• Use USB and MIDI-equipped controllers like keyboards, foot pedals, and drum pads
• Instantly set up a large variety of hardware using automatic device recognition
• Quickly assign hardware knobs, buttons, and faders to onscreen controls
• Manage sophisticated rigs using the Assignments & Mapping overview
Designed for the Stage
• See only what you need during your performance using a customizable, full-screen live interface
• Screen controls adapt for each Patch using Smart Controls
• Smart Controls offer dynamic performance controls that change with each Patch
• Easily view your Mac screen from a distance using a high-contrast, full-screen performance view
• Play deeply sampled, professionally mixed, and fully customizable drum kits provided by Drum Kit Designer
• Perform electronic beats with the Ultrabeat drum machine
• Play classic ’70s- and ’80s-style synthesizer sounds using Retro Synth
• Play faithful models of vintage keyboards with Vintage B3, Vintage Electric Piano, and Vintage Clav
• Perform inspired sounds using a collection of synths that provide analog, wavetable, FM, additive, granular, spectral, and modeling synthesis
• Quickly find sounds or create unique new ones with Alchemy, the ultimate sample manipulation synthesizer
• Play or create a wide variety of rich sampled instruments with the EXS24 Sampler
• Turn your favorite hardware synthesizers into sampled instruments using the Auto Sampler plug-in
• Transform simple ideas into elaborate performances using nine MIDI plug-ins
• Instantly turn a simple chord into a rich performance with the Arpeggiator
• Play a single note to trigger predefined chords with Chord Trigger
• Perform a part and conform notes to a specific scale using Transposer
Creative and Production Effects
• Play your sounds through realistic acoustic spaces using Space Designer convolution reverb
• Use a range of multi-tap, vintage tape, and stereo delays
• Add movement to your tracks with a variety of modulation effects
• Get the perfect mix with a collection of EQs, dynamics, and other mixing tools
Guitar and Bass Gear
• Build your own guitar or bass rig with Amp Designer using vintage and modern amps, cabinets, and mics
• Design a custom Pedalboard from a collection of delay, distortion, and modulation stompboxes
• Access a full-screen Tuner to quickly get in tune
• Over 1800 instrument and effect Patches
• More than 750 meticulously sampled instruments
• 4600 Apple Loops in modern urban and electronic genres
Minimum System Requirements
• Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
• 6GB available disk space for minimum install / 57GB hard disk for full Sound Library installation
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Midi and video playback
I have used Mainstage onstage in 6 different cover bands for my entire keyboard rig and for playing backing tracks with click to drummer. 100’s of gigs and not one single crash. Simple setup of 2 live USB keyboards and anywhere from 2-8 wav file backing tracks playing. I now want to add sequenced lighting and video screen playback in sync with backing tracks and any simple plug in similar to the audio playback would suffice but nothing. Apple has chosen to stay in the “Toy” world and sell a cheap app with limited use. This is a great program but lacks pro features that other software has. It has it’s uses but I will be finding something else as the recent update just ignores user requests just so they can port over already developed items from Logic Pro into Mainstage and call it an update. If you want a Toy to play with get MainStage, if you want a pro level piece of software to run your live show look elsewhere.
BUGS, Bugs, bugs.
I like this this program and how you can use it for performances but OMG it is buggy! I have to keeping reverting back to saved so that the sound from the app can replace the distorted sound from using too long. So I can’t see anyone actually using this on stage because of all the bugs. I would hope that who ever are the programmers can try to work all of this out, it is a great program that I can use for around 20 minutes and then……distortion of sound, even high resonace apperaring ovet time. I would never use this on the Main stage, I couldn’t rely on it. This is an Apple application, you would think it would be more reliable and able to function over time with the app being open for awhile? I really don’t know who the developers are? is it Apple ? or a 3rd party working for Apple? But guys, you need to do some work to fix this in the future.
A great tool
For the price, look at what you get: you get ALL of the synths featured in Logic Pro, the effects racks that come with Logic Pro, it works with Logic Pro Remote, and is endlessly customizable to your needs.
I use this with high school kids. It is the centerpiece of my jazz ensemble and high school bands. We can get things programmed in a matter of minutes. I can program backing tracks for pieces that call for them in my high school band, set them up to be controlled via our keyboard controls, easily make patches for my jazz band when funky keyboards are needed. It is very simple to use and figure out. The last version would have occasional crashes; those problems seem to be fixed. A perfect solution to the emerging needs being generated by modern composers.
In the practice room, I have it set up to run a drone and imitate concert hall acoustics so that intonation and playing to the hall can be practiced the RIGHT way: by LISTENING.
For me, it's a must and a no-brainer. I know of no other app that does what MainStage does- on any platform. Especially at this price point.
- Apple Inc.
- 1.3 GB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2007-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.