The best-selling Princeton field guide to the land and marine mammals of the United States and Canada is now available in digital form on the App Store.
All the beautiful and accurate illustrations as well as the easy-to-use functionality of the book have been kept while also adding extra features such as:
● The ability to expand the high-resolution images by tapping or rotating the device.
● Photographs that complement the illustrations of certain species.
● Calls for over 150 species (including multiple calls for some species).
● Quick swiping through the 459 mammals.
● The ability to easily find a species using either common or scientific names and in taxonomic or alphabetic order.
● The ability to only show species for a specified postal code.
● A compare feature that lets you view two species at the same time on the same screen.
● Interactive tracks that quickly link to the associated mammal.
● A personal record of mammal sightings that can be exported using email.
*Uninstalling/reinstalling the program will result in the loss of your list; it is recommended that you export the list regularly to avoid any loss of data.
Updated app for the latest iOS and devices.
Made the app "Universal" (runs on iPhone and iPad).
As with any update you may lose your "My List", please have a copy saved elsewhere.
Ratings and Reviews
Bought the app and not very good. Drawings not real pictures and not very well put together. I want my money back. Don’t waste your time on this one
This app makes some very questionable design choices, making it difficult and unpleasant to use. Two examples: first, even though the description says it will work with the iPad, it is NOT an iPad native app, meaning you either have to double the resolution or deal with a tiny display. It is basically unusable on the iPad, which, given the nature of the app, is inexcusable. This needs to be updated to support the iPad. Second, the app does not support changing orientations. You must hold the device in a particular orientation (portrait) at all times. For the relatively high price, I expect much more than what you get out of this app. Avoid it.
I have Sibleys and really love it, so I bought this one and am really disappointed. Come on, this is for the US, it should not be in the metric system. If you want to have metric and the US system, that would be fine. For 9.99 its a rip off to only have metric measurements. The calls leave a lot be be desired. Not in the same class as Sibleys. It also needs to be updated to support the new bigger screens.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.