Mapboard GIS is an iPad app for drawing geologic maps with an Apple Pencil.
It combines the natural editing workflow of pen-and-paper mapping with
the precision, flexibility, and scale-independence of geospatial information
systems (GIS). Its forward-looking design helps beginner and expert
mappers produce multiscale, topologically consistent geologic
MOTIVATION AND DESIGN
Mapboard GIS was born out of frustration with both paper– and GIS-based mapping workflows.
It attempts to bring digital mapping workflows closer to the process of working with paper maps.
It hides a sophisiticated spatial engine behind simple
tools for drawing, erasing, and reshaping features.
This allows mapping time to be spent refining interpretations
instead of fighting with technical tools.
- Simple but powerful editing tools geared towards pen-based mapping
- Powerful and configurable feature snapping and erasing
- Sophisticated onboard Spatialite engine
- Iterative topology solver to fill map units
- Direct Spatialite geodatabase export (openable in QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.)
- Tether to remote PostGIS for work across large datasets and real-time collaboration
- User-configurable data types for line and polygon features
- Interoperable with standard formats (mbtiles, Spatialite, PostGIS)
and open-source + commercial software
- Load MBTiles basemaps
- Satellite, streets, and topographic basemaps
- Dark mode support
- Geologic line types
- Added a basic user interface for creating and managing Mapbox GL offline tile packs
- Fixed a bug with the control panel for creating tile layers from external URLs
- Fixed some minor display bugs
Ratings and Reviews
Best potential for replacing paper mapping
This app looks like it could become the best chance of replacing paper mapping I have seen. Being able to import mbtiles and having a spatialite database in the backend makes this a real contender. There are some bugs but it is the first public release so no surprise there. Works smoothly and easy to draw geology and structures.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Daven Quinn
- 37.1 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Daven Quinn
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version $29.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.