Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro is the most INNOVATIVE and EXTENSIVE music tool for musicians out there. This app is invaluable for students of all levels, as well as professional performers, composers, arrangers, and teachers. There are plenty video tutorials and an online manual accessible within the app.
Play-along, Practice Improvisation. Reahrmonize any song with the tap of a button. Create 12-keys workouts to practice.
Print Scores with Full Harmonic Analysis, or just as the chord changes or Export as MIDI
Play-along in different styles with the option to personalize chord voicings, styles including several piano comping, bass lines and rhythm variations to choose from. The only play-along that uses functions and chord-chordscales pairings to create the accompaniment track.
Map templates with different styles from Jazz to Traditional Harmony and Contemporary Harmony.
The app comes loaded with jazz workouts, jazz harmony, traditional harmony and jazz standard progressions.
Also available on mDecks.com ready to import into the app: 1000+ Jazz Standards Progressions, 1000+ Jazz Standards Reharmonized and The complete Bird Bebop Progressions. All fully analyzed by savvy musicians with tons of experience.
Study Tonal Harmony like never before! Learn all functions and cadences in all keys.
Write your own music using a map that reveals the secrets of tonality.
Use it as a Fake Book on your gig or Practice Improvisation on Jazz Standards and Jazz Workouts.
You can do all this and much more with Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro. You will not find anything like this on the market today.
This app is a no-brainer for musicians and music teachers.
Some reviews of Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro:
"...This app wins our strongest recommendation for an app so far." - Berklee Groove
"...an app that blew my mind." NoteTreble
"If only Brian Wilson had this music app when he ..." - FeedmyApp
"I've been looking for a harmony/chords/tonal app that is functional, deep enough, and with a great interface. Well, I'm not looking any further. This app just blew me away... " - KVR
"...an App I’d never teach high school (or college) music theory without!"
"An innovation beneficial to students, teachers, and composers alike..." - NoBrainerAppReviews
So, what can you do in Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro?
• Create Harmonic Progressions and Songs.
• Load Chord Progressions, Songs & Jazz Standards.
• Study Harmony from the Beginning, to the most Advanced concepts used by Bach, Beethoven, Bill Evans and John Coltrane.
• Practice Ear Training and Learn Functions in every Key
• Practice Improvisation using it as a Play Along
• Study Jazz Standards
• Study Classical Pieces
• Learn Classical Functional Notation
• Learn Jazz Functional Notation and Arrows and Brackets Analysis
• Learn Voicings & Voice Leading
• Study Modulations: Common Tone, Common Chord & Direct
• Learn ALL harmonic functions and cadences in ALL Keys in Major and Minor
• Study Bass-lines and Chord Inversions, and how to notate them in different styles
• Chord-Scales for every function
• Learn classical concepts such as the Neapolitan 6, the German augmented six, secondary dominants, etc
• Learn jazz concepts such as the SubV7, the related IIm7, the passing half diminished, etc
• EXPORT MIDI
• Create and Print Scores & Workout Sheets in any key, notated as Chord Progression and/or Functionally
• Transpose the Map to fit your instrument’s transposition
• Balance voices independently and concentrate in the study of Bass-Lines, Inner-Lines and any other combinations
• Work in THREE different modes: Browse Mode, Progression Mode, Audio Mode
• Create Progressions using Song Structure with Section, Repeats, Intros, First Endings and Exits
• Teach your Harmony Class with ease using your favorite audio tracks, performers and composers
• HUNDREDS OF PRE-LODADED progressions with standard cadences, jazz workouts, jazz standard, pop/commercial progressions, turn-arounds and audio examples.
New voicings option available: Avoid parallel and hidden fifths and octaves.
Reharmonization Techniques: Reharmonize any song with one tap using different techniques used by the masters.
12-Keys Workouts: Create workouts in all 12-keys for any progression (1 to 8 measures long) instantly.
Ratings and Reviews
Unmatched by anything else out there
An amazingly rich and deep tool for functional analysis of chord progressions. I’m using it to get a better understanding of how the music I listen to and write works, and why it works that way. Contextualizes the chords for you.
Fabulous composition tool
I wish I would have had this app years ago when I first started studying composition.
Starting with a key and simple diatonic chords, you can explore chord changes through related keys, borrowing chords from other keys, easily auditioning different ideas. You can also put together a chart with your chord changes, then have the app play back your progression with accompaniment (piano/bass/drums) in multiple different styles, with different variations every time. It’s like having a skilled backup band to instantly play through your changes. Once you have something you like, you can easily export to a DAW like Cubasis.
The developer is very responsive. I’ve emailed him several questions about various features and he’s been back to me with informative answers promptly.
I was a bit put off when first installing the app, and it asked me to create a user ID for an online database. I realized that all I needed to do was create a nickname and password - that was it. When I’m creating progressions, I simply mark them as ‘private’ and they are not shared with the community. But if you wanted to share them with other band members or students, you could easily do so.
I’m still exploring and learning, moving through the constellation of related chords and tools. The online database of chord changes is like a dictionary of familiar progression fragments, a very useful and inspirational resource.
This is a great app! I've had it for ~a month, and it's really helping me get a more intuitive feel for harmony. I've read harmony books in the past, but having this app by my side as an easily "playable map" while studying feels so efficient. When I think about chords now I find myself imagining them at their particular location on the map, and seeing the surrounding harmonic neighborhood. I love it for composing too, especially the way it does voice leading. Other harmony apps I've tried don't do this, and I find that their abrupt voicing distracts me from hearing the actual harmony as clearly. This app does it right.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.