Amazing play-along w/pro sound. Practice like never before. An app for musicians by musicians. From Jazz to Classical. A must-have for any musician and music teacher.
Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro is the most INNOVATIVE and EXTENSIVE music tool for musicians out there. This app is invaluable for students of all levels, as well as professional performers, composers, arrangers, and teachers. There are plenty video tutorials and an online manual accessible within the app.
Play-along, Practice Improvisation. Reharmonize any song with the tap of a button. Create 12-keys workouts to practice. Study Target Notes and Upper Structures.
Print Scores with Full Harmonic Analysis, or just as the chord changes or Export as MIDI.
Play-along in different styles with the option to personalize chord voicings, styles including several piano comping, bass lines and rhythm variations to choose from. The only play-along that uses functions and chord-chordscales pairings to create the accompaniment track.
Map templates with different styles from Jazz to Traditional Harmony and Contemporary Harmony.
The app comes loaded with jazz workouts, jazz harmony, traditional harmony and jazz standard progressions. Also available on mDecks.com ready to import into the app: 1000+ Jazz Standards Progressions, 1000+ Jazz Standards Reharmonized and The complete Bird Bebop Progressions. All fully analyzed by savvy musicians with tons of experience.
Study Tonal Harmony like never before! Learn all functions and cadences in all keys.
Write your own music using a map that reveals the secrets of tonality.
Use it as a Fake Book on your gig or Practice Improvisation.
You can do all this and much more with Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro. You will not find anything like this on the market today.
This app is a no-brainer for musicians and music teachers.
Some reviews of Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro:
"...This app wins our strongest recommendation for an app so far." - Berklee Groove
"...an app that blew my mind." NoteTreble
"If only Brian Wilson had this music app when he ..." - FeedmyApp
"I've been looking for a harmony/chords/tonal app that is functional, deep enough, and with a great interface. Well, I'm not looking any further. This app just blew me away... " - KVR
"...an App I’d never teach high school (or college) music theory without!"
"An innovation beneficial to students, teachers, and composers alike..." - NoBrainerAppReviews
So, what can you do in Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro?
• Create Harmonic Progressions and Songs.
• Load Chord Progressions, Songs & Jazz Standards.
• Study Harmony from the Beginning, to the most Advanced concepts used by Bach, Beethoven, Bill Evans and John Coltrane.
• Practice Ear Training and Learn Functions in every Key
• Practice Improvisation using it as a Play Along
• Study Jazz Standards
• Study Classical Pieces
• Learn Classical Functional Notation
• Learn Jazz Functional Notation and Arrows and Brackets Analysis
• Learn Voicings & Voice Leading
• Study Modulations: Common Tone, Common Chord & Direct
• Learn ALL harmonic functions and cadences in ALL Keys in Major and Minor
• Study Bass-lines and Chord Inversions, and how to notate them in different styles
• Chord-Scales for every function
• Learn classical concepts such as the Neapolitan 6, the German augmented six, secondary dominants, etc
• Learn jazz concepts such as the SubV7, the related IIm7, the passing half diminished, etc
• EXPORT MIDI
• Create and Print Scores & Workout Sheets in any key, notated as Chord Progression and/or Functionally
• Transpose the Map to fit your instrument’s transposition
• Balance voices independently and concentrate in the study of Bass-Lines, Inner-Lines and any other combinations
• Work in THREE different modes: Browse Mode, Progression Mode, Audio Mode
• Create Progressions using Song Structure with Section, Repeats, Intros, First Endings and Exits
• Teach your Harmony Class with ease using your favorite audio tracks, performers and composers
• HUNDREDS OF PRE-LODADED progressions with standard cadences, jazz workouts, jazz standard, pop/commercial progressions, turn-arounds and audio examples.
MIDI OUT. UI Improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great samples, awful user interface
The developer offers great samples, appealing voicing/chords and very nice percussion sounds but the goodness ends there because the whole program is just not ready to accomplish its full potential. The user interface, its functionality and ease of use are way, and I mean way below par. It’s a great app if you just want to play along but if you push it to write your own stuff in a simple concise manner, this app will be exceedingly frustrating. Expensive too if you buy the Real Book.
Awesome and not so awesome...
This app offers one a remarkable visualization of cadence. And It’s an excellent way to rapidly analyze jazz standards. And though a supremely valuable tool for music education, I find it frustrating to use for other purposes. I’d like to recommend this app for both, play-along practice and composition, but shortcomings of the UI make these frustrating experiences. The transport, tempo, key change, bar-repeat controls are dinky and often buried in menu folders making play-along unnecessarily difficult to manage. The map appears to be a wonderful tool for composition. But it seems to be missing chord audition and undo/redo functionality (Auto-save would be very useful too.). One really needs a piano or guitar and pen and paper to audition chords and record chord changes in order to avoid unraveling composition with a few poorly executed choices via UI. I open the app on two devices at once. I use MTH as a sketch pad on my iPad and I record my final decisions on MTH on my iPhone when I don’t have access to a piano keyboard. Am I missing some useful information here? This is no good. So, five stars for active visualization (Bravo). But sorry to say, I’m still leaning on other apps for play-along and composition. MTH is so very close to ideal. Keep it coming, please.
So much potential but..
There is so much depth in this app and the quality of the player audio is better than the other app I use regularly. But the user interface is dreadful. Things you need to press all the time are tiny and hard to find. Large chunks of the screen are wasted on things that I don’t want to see and I often can’t figure out how to get popovers and menus to go away. Things you need to access frequently are squirreled in deep menus and I feel like I need new glasses just to use this app. The UI should just be redone completely with a focus on common use cases. Ironically I saw an ad for this app and clicked through only to realize that I had purchased it years ago and gave up on it then. I had forgotten about it and decided to give it another chance. My main feeling when I’m using it is just confusion. I’m sorry to be negative about something that is a labor of love for someone - it’s just very idiosyncratic and arcane to me.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- MDECKS MUSIC, LLC
- 291 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 mDecks.com
- In-App Purchases
- 1000+ Jazz Standards $19.99
- Target Notes $9.99
- Upper Structures $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.