Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro is the most INNOVATIVE and EXTENSIVE music tool for musicians out there. This app is invaluable for students of all levels, as well as professional performers, composers, arrangers, and teachers. There are plenty video tutorials and an online manual accessible within the app.
Play-along, Practice Improvisation. Reharmonize any song with the tap of a button. Create 12-keys workouts to practice. Study Target Notes and Upper Structures.
Print Scores with Full Harmonic Analysis, or just as the chord changes or Export as MIDI.
Play-along in different styles with the option to personalize chord voicings, styles including several piano comping, bass lines and rhythm variations to choose from. The only play-along that uses functions and chord-chordscales pairings to create the accompaniment track.
Map templates with different styles from Jazz to Traditional Harmony and Contemporary Harmony.
The app comes loaded with jazz workouts, jazz harmony, traditional harmony and jazz standard progressions. Also available on mDecks.com ready to import into the app: 1000+ Jazz Standards Progressions, 1000+ Jazz Standards Reharmonized and The complete Bird Bebop Progressions. All fully analyzed by savvy musicians with tons of experience.
Study Tonal Harmony like never before! Learn all functions and cadences in all keys.
Write your own music using a map that reveals the secrets of tonality.
Use it as a Fake Book on your gig or Practice Improvisation.
You can do all this and much more with Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro. You will not find anything like this on the market today.
This app is a no-brainer for musicians and music teachers.
Some reviews of Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro:
"...This app wins our strongest recommendation for an app so far." - Berklee Groove
"...an app that blew my mind." NoteTreble
"If only Brian Wilson had this music app when he ..." - FeedmyApp
"I've been looking for a harmony/chords/tonal app that is functional, deep enough, and with a great interface. Well, I'm not looking any further. This app just blew me away... " - KVR
"...an App I’d never teach high school (or college) music theory without!"
"An innovation beneficial to students, teachers, and composers alike..." - NoBrainerAppReviews
So, what can you do in Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro?
• Create Harmonic Progressions and Songs.
• Load Chord Progressions, Songs & Jazz Standards.
• Study Harmony from the Beginning, to the most Advanced concepts used by Bach, Beethoven, Bill Evans and John Coltrane.
• Practice Ear Training and Learn Functions in every Key
• Practice Improvisation using it as a Play Along
• Study Jazz Standards
• Study Classical Pieces
• Learn Classical Functional Notation
• Learn Jazz Functional Notation and Arrows and Brackets Analysis
• Learn Voicings & Voice Leading
• Study Modulations: Common Tone, Common Chord & Direct
• Learn ALL harmonic functions and cadences in ALL Keys in Major and Minor
• Study Bass-lines and Chord Inversions, and how to notate them in different styles
• Chord-Scales for every function
• Learn classical concepts such as the Neapolitan 6, the German augmented six, secondary dominants, etc
• Learn jazz concepts such as the SubV7, the related IIm7, the passing half diminished, etc
• EXPORT MIDI
• Create and Print Scores & Workout Sheets in any key, notated as Chord Progression and/or Functionally
• Transpose the Map to fit your instrument’s transposition
• Balance voices independently and concentrate in the study of Bass-Lines, Inner-Lines and any other combinations
• Work in THREE different modes: Browse Mode, Progression Mode, Audio Mode
• Create Progressions using Song Structure with Section, Repeats, Intros, First Endings and Exits
• Teach your Harmony Class with ease using your favorite audio tracks, performers and composers
• HUNDREDS OF PRE-LODADED progressions with standard cadences, jazz workouts, jazz standard, pop/commercial progressions, turn-arounds and audio examples.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Amazing app, but...
This app is great. I love the Standard add on. However, when writing progressions, I am unable to add a pickup note. When I make a blank measure at the beginning with beat 4 having a chord, the drum AI treats that 4th beat as the first one, and it throws the rest of the song off. Also, in the complete map I’m unable to find 9 chords. Thanks!
Finally ready for prime time
I’ve had this app for quite a while but hadn’t used it ... earlier versions seemed to me to be brilliant and intriguing but also frustrating. The core functionality was obscured by bad UX/UI. I stuck with iRealPro which is more modest in its aspirations and simpler to use. I don’t want to interrupt my practice time to monkey with an app. The harmony map is a cool idea but I don’t find much use for it.
Finally, MTH has matured to the point it’s really usable, especially if you buy the 1000 jazz tunes in xml format and import them.
The developers are responsive to comments. I’m sure further refinements are continuing.
I’d recommend this for any serious student of music, either classical or jazz-based, or any player who wants to deepen their understanding of tonal harmony.
Exporting backing tracks as MIDI creates amazing options. You can make a backing track in MTH and export it to your DAW to orchestrate it, or export it to MuseScore and see/edit it as a score, to use the backing track as a basis for a band arrangement!
A forum to share user-created backing tracks would be a killer addition.
Maybe the developer could be persuaded to create a companion app: mapping atonal harmony pro!
Great idea, egregious execution
I don’t write many reviews, but couldn’t hold back here. An expensive and highly aspiring application which should never have been released to the public without sufficient beta testing. Not only is the UI laborious and non intuitive, but the program is incredibly buggy seemingly without any effort from the developer to address obvious concerns. One basic example would be that the program does not automatically open selected items. Rather, the user is forced to manually close a a screen view before he/she can work with a selected item, ie. song file in a portion of the program/different screen view. Screen icons are tiny and unintuitive as well. It really is too bad because the program would be a fantastic teaching tool if not for the horrendous UI, essentially rendering the app useless.
- MDECKS MUSIC, LLC
- 291 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020-2021 mDecks.com
- In-App Purchases
- 1000+ Jazz Standards $9.99
- Upper Structures $5.99
- Target Notes $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.