Mariana is a new software bass synthesizer from Moog Music capable of reaching the deepest depths of low-end tone and weight. Moog has long been a pioneer in electronic bass, from the iconic Minimoog Model D to the Taurus Bass Pedals, Sub Phatty, and Minitaur. Mariana continues this tradition in the form of a groundbreaking software synthesizer for iOS, MacOS, and Windows. Optimized for vibrant bass sounds that sit perfectly in the mix, Mariana is a powerful tool for artists and musicians across all genres and workflows.
Mariana is a dual-layer synthesizer, allowing you to mix together two completely different synthesizer sounds and process each layer individually. Each layer is built around two oscillators with precise and inventive controls to dial in your bass tone to make it punch through a mix and stand out from the rest, with a sub-oscillator adding even more low-end weight. Two resonant Moog filters and a third filter specifically for the sub-oscillator let you shape your sound, adding warmth while rolling off high frequencies or pushing up the resonance for added bite. With stereo crossover functionality, Mariana is optimized for quickly dialing in stereo content while simultaneously preserving a strong mono bass foundation.
Warm saturation and a tight compressor add extra punch to your bass lines while an illuminating real-time metering section lets you monitor your sounds and dial them in to a professional standard. Flexible built-in delay and chorus effects operate on separate layers and can expand the stereo image of your sounds or preserve a solid mono signal. Whether designing your own bass tones from scratch or using one of the 200 included presets as a starting point, Mariana is an accessible and versatile tool for any modern production environment.
Mariana is fully equipped with three LFOs, three envelopes, and two random generators per layer and a creative and extremely deep modulation editor. Nearly every parameter of Mariana can be modulated internally, via MIDI, or via virtual CV from the Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins, and Mariana's modulation sources can be sent to and received from the Moogerfoogers for a self-contained modular Moog ecosystem right in your DAW. With an optimized user interface and seamless integration into any DAW (digital audio workstation), Mariana is the most accessible way to add the unmistakable Moog bass sound to your productions.
• Modern Moog Bass: Mariana pulls from the lineage of classic Moog bass instruments to deliver a new bass synthesizer with cutting-edge features for sculpting powerful bass lines.
• Dual Layers: Two separate synthesizer layers allow for complementary sound stacks or independent duophonic playing that can be mixed together.
• Deep Modulation: A vast array of modulation sources, destinations, controllers, and functions with a deep mod matrix editor allow for complex modulation of nearly every parameter of Mariana.
• Intuitive Interface: A beautiful, resizable, and user-friendly interface gives you effortless control over your bass sounds.
• Metering and Compression: Built-in effects, compression, and metering let you add punch to your bass sounds and dial them in to a professional standard.
• Interconnectivity: Mariana can interact with the Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins via virtual CV, creating a modular Moog ecosystem right in your DAW.
• Flexibility: Mariana can be used as a standalone app or a plug-in inside your favorite DAW, supporting powerful AUv3 compatibility.
• Preset Library: A vast library of presets covering a wide range of musical styles and genres provides a starting point for users to dive right into musical creation - or transform stock presets into something completely unique.
• AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions
• MPE Controller Support
• 7 and 14-Bit MIDI
• MIDI Program Change Support
• Share over Mail or other iOS applications
• Performance improvements.
• The keyboard can now be expanded and collapsed in the plugin versions, as well as in the standalone desktop version of Mariana.
• The Low Pass and High Pass Filter of Synth 1 and Synth 2 now have an option to change filter slope to 0dB, 6dB, 12dB, 18dB and 24dB.
• 45 newly designed presets using the new filter slopes with the group name “Moog 1.1".
• Improved saw and sharktooth wave shapes in the oscillators to remove aliasing at certain duty cycle settings.
• Edited preset notes and tags are now directly saved to the current user preset without requiring an explicit preset save.
• The plugin size of Mariana is now stored and recalled from DAW sessions.
• Standalone window was not resizable right after software unlock. Fixed.
• Preset tags were not saved to exported/shared presets. Fixed.
• Right after software unlock succeeds, save as was not enabled. Fixed
• Mod amount rings in modulation summary would sometimes not update. Fixed.
• Sharing presets on Windows could delete temporary files that didn't belong to Mariana. Fixed.
• Swapping Synth 1 and 2 did not swap panel modulation assignments. Fixed.
• Upon plugin instantiation Mariana could crash on some machines while performing the software unlock licensing. Fixed.
• Clicking on Init while previewing presets would play a random preset preview. Fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
loving the sound (sounds like a moog!) and the interface is really nice . lots of innovative ideas here on the UX - especially the way they handle modulation and the visual feedback on each knob. taking some inspiration from folks like Bleass, but keeping in the Moog visual vernacular...very nice work. the dual synth layers really expand the possibilities, though i usually like to keep it simple. Mariana excels at both.
This app sounds great. I haven’t really tried making my own patches yet and tbh it is a bit intimidating with all the modulation options, but there are a lot of super usable presets that come with it and I love the sound.
One quibble: if you want Background Audio on for the standalone version, for some reason the app NEVER saves this setting. Not sure why… it’s really the only setting under Configuration I need to change so I tried changing a few others, closing the app and re-opening to see if it was an issue across all the settings… it’s not! It just won’t save Background Audio as on. Should be fixed.
Another quibble: dang this is a very CPU-hungry synth. I run a 2018 iPad Pro so it’s not exactly the latest tech, but when I add an instance of Mariana in AUM or Loopy Pro, the DSP % goes up by like 30-40%… waaaaay more than any other synth I own (including the other Moogs).
But it sounds so good!
Early Impressions, major flaw
Over all this seems like an incredible synth, but there appears to be no way to use its native keyboard in AUM? It can obviously be played by other MPE capable midi plugins but that requires additional configuration and often idiosyncratic changes to the sound from the keyboard in the native app. Would be great to not only have access to the keyboard in resizable plugin window, but to be able to load it standalone as a midi processor. While using standalone the expressiveness of this synth is its greatest feature.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback Jubal,
We're evaluating enabling the keyboard in the plugin and making it collapsible. Please be on the lookout for it in a future update.
❤️your friends at Moog
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Moog Music Inc.
- 63.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 14.4 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Moog Music
- In-App Purchases
- Bass Booster #1 $4.99
- Bass Booster #3 $4.99
- Bass Booster #2 $4.99