MarkMyWords is a comprehensive writing environment for everyone who creates articles with markup-formatting.
MARKUP SUPPORT: Markdown + Extra, MultiMarkdown, Textile, Wikitext, BBCode, HTML
# MarkMyWords feature-overview:
- support for various markup-languages
- live preview of the formatted article or preview the HTML-code
- selection of various inbuilt CSS styles and possibility to use own CSS styles for preview
- support of CriticMarkup
- comprehensive set of options for the text editor
- use your own text-templates
- large collection of keyboard shortcuts to perform text manipulation
- headline Navigation-Popup
- a flexible "distraction-free mode"
- export documents (RTF, RTFD, HTML, DOC, ODT, PDF, Textbundle, Textpack)
- extendable with plugins
- import CSV spreadsheets as a formatted table
- quick saving of documents to predefined locations
# Open file-format
MarkMyWords DOES NOT use databases or proprietary file formats for saving documents. All documents created with MarkMyWords are saved as plain text files by default and are therefore Application- and Platform-Independent. So you have full control over your texts. MarkMyWords also offers an option to store documents in the open Textbundle-format.
# Advanced Text Editor Features
The text editor offers many useful features to simplify the writing of texts. In addition to the automatic closing of brackets and quotes, the editor also provides an automatic list generation. Moreover, an automated table creation is available for MultiMarkdown and Markdown Extra. In addition, a rich set of keyboard shortcuts for the most common formatting and actions for moving/copying text within documents is available.
# Options to adjust look'n feel of the editor
MarkMyWords also provides many options to offer a comfortable working environment by setting many aspects of the editor to your personal preferences. Next to settings for font-color, -style and -size, there are also options for spacing of lines, paragraphs, etc. and the option to display line numbering next to the editor.
# Live preview
The live preview shows your texts in the formatted state. When displaying you can either use on of the inbuilt CSS-Styles or use your own CSS-Styles. It is also possible to display CriticMarkup formatting.
By using templates MarkMyWords you can write articles with repetitive text structures even faster.
You can create templates yourself and insert them at any time into a document. In conjunction with the other functions of MarkMyWords you can create texts faster and more focused.
# Extending MarkMyWords
The feature-set of MarkMyWords can be extended by its own plugin system. By using the widely used scripting languages Perl, PHP, Python or Ruby, individual plugins are developed with ease that meet the individual requirements.
# Distraction-free mode
The distraction-free mode hides all elements and thus directs the full concentration to the actual text. Just alike for the normal editor, extensive options are available for the distraction free mode to customize the environment to your preferences.
For more information about MarkMyWords, visit Xelaton.com. There you can also send me a message in case of problems or questions via the contact form!
New, alternative markup conversion engine, developed in the Swift programming language, implemented. The new engine can be activated via the Preferences > Markups > Use the internal Swift version of the Markup Converter (Beta version: In continuous development)
- import CSV Table now with support for tsv files (Tab Separated Values)
- advanced text statistics for each document can be displayed by clicking on the word/character counter
- new help page system implemented and help pages revised
- Smark parser updated
- Textile parser updated
- clipped text in the German user interface fixed
- various small adjustments made to the user interface in the preferences
- minor improvements and adjustments in the attachment system
- minor adjustments for saving-behavior
- in the File Browser when searching, both file name and file content will be queried for the search term
- various code cleanups
- some adjustments to the main menu, "Item" tools removed, the items for startup window and file browser are now under "Window" and the One-Click Style Editor under "Format", duplicate items removed
- comment menu command for Smark is now correctly being applied to text blocks
- improved preview behavior for empty documents
- access to Base URL settings improved
- button to switch between preview and code view added
- support for doTheMath removed
- fixes bug that prevented the activation of the full screen mode via the menu and keyboard shortcuts
- menu Markup now appears in the German user interface in German
- problems with the presentation of some cheat sheets in the dark mode solved
- resolved an issue of displaying some buttons in the dark mode in macOS High Sierra and earlier
Ratings and Reviews
Please don’t insert your app as the default app for markdown files
I’ve been meaning to write this for sometime. The app itself is good, but somehow after installation all my markdown and .tex files end up with the MarkMyWords icon and with MarkMyWords as the default app to open the files. Not good. Even after changing it in the “Get Info” window for a file, the icon remains. If I open MMW, the app once again becomes the default app for these file types.
I’ve reluctantly uninstalled the app as the only way to curb this intrusive behavior. For a filetype (such as like markdown or tex) that can be opened by many apps, I want to decide what the default app to open the file is.
Disappointed that a developer would do this.
Developer Response ,
I'm sorry to hear you have a bad feeling about MarkMyWords, but your assumption is wrong. MarkMyWords doesn't actively claim filetypes for itself, but this is a native macOS behavior. The thing MarkMyWords does is to explain macOS which types of file-extensions it can open and provides appropriate file-icons for the files it can open. If you change the default-application for a file-type and the icon doesn't change means the selected application doesn't provide a appropriate file-icon for the file-extension. To make a change to the default-application to open a certain file-type you also need to click the "Change All.."-Button, which appears when choosing another application. If you have further questions, use the support-form on Xelaton.com please.
Useful but needs work
This is a decent tool that have some potential. The php textile parser is a little laggy at times. I would say the UI needs a LOT of work and the icon is horrific. Not to mention the name…just bad…sorry just being honest. It would not hurt the developer of this app to try out iA Writer to get some ideas. The features however get the job done. A good companion if you do a lot of work in basecamp with writeboads. This is the only tool I have found thus far for creating templates written using the textile syntax.
This developer “gets it”!
Open standards. Open formats. Keep It Simple Sam. I have every one of this developers’ products and couldn’t be happier.
I sync all my notes on my Synology DiskStation. I don’t use “the cloud”. Everything works flawlessly. Plus, I have the peace of mind knowing that all my data is in an easy to migrate format (markdown usually) and not housed in some proprietary database “locking me in” to a specific Company or software package.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! (Danke schön!)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.