The #1 Blog Editor for the Mac!
MarsEdit is the best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
Free to download! Unlock a free trial in the app, purchase a full license, or continue to use the app for free to maintain an archive on your Mac and work locally with your published blog posts.
- Works with WordPress, Micro.blog, Tumblr, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens of other systems that support standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Work offline with local drafts on your Mac, preview the formatting and content of your posts, and publish when you're ready to share with the world.
- Easily browse for a photo from your iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom libraries, and embed it for automatic upload with your blog post.
- Avoid common browser-based problems like losing your edits by navigating to another page, poor spelling for lack of a spell checker, etc.
- Perfect for professional bloggers and casual writers who don't want to mess around with clunky web-based interfaces. If you're lucky enough to have a Mac, nothing is more powerful or more elegant than MarsEdit.
- Write in Rich Text "WYSIWYG" that will be converted automatically to HTML when you publish, or hand-tune the HTML in a syntax-highlighted code editor. Markdown fan? Write in Markdown in the HTML editor and see a live-preview of the HTML rendering in the preview window.
- Compatible with macOS 10.12 or higher.
Coming to the Mac from Windows? MarsEdit is similar to Live Writer, the popular Windows blog editor, but differs in some ways. Ask around and read MarsEdit reviews to decide if MarsEdit is right for you.
This update includes the following changes:
- Improved performance and reliability of main window preview of blog posts
- Large images are now constrained visually to fit the width of the Rich Editor
- Added reset buttons in preferences to restore default fonts and colors
- Search now matches when words are found separately in a given post
- Improved VoiceOver accessibility of font preferences
- Errors pertaining to blog configuration or networking now include buttons to open blog settings or network log, respectively
- Prevent a hang that could occur when trying to upload an attachment on a blog that only supports the legacy Blogger API
- Now displays an error instead of crashing when a blog returns an unexpected value when downloading a post
- Fixed an erroneous "Unsupported API" message in preferences
- Fixed a bug that prevented the site icon from loading for some blogs
- Fix a visual glitch with the Post Kind popup menu
- Fix a repeated error alert when refreshing an unconfigured blog
- Scripting: Fixed a bug that prevented setting category names on Micro.blog and other systems that don't support adding new categories
Version 4.5 was a substantial update featuring support for syncing WordPress media items, among other things.
Please leave a rating or review in the App Store. It means a lot.
Questions or concerns about the app? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Makes blog life much easier
I’m a full time writer and have tried numerous apps and methods for writing, editing and posting to the four blogs that I write for. Mars Edit is easily the best I’ve found. For the two larger blogs it makes the editors happy because the HTML formating is always correct unlike any option with Pages, Word or even Evernote. One long-form blog I still write primarily in Pages for it’s outlining capabilities that I use for notes but then paste the final verbiage in MarsEdit, format, add any graphics and post knowing the HTML will be spot on. For one large blog and one of my own I never need to do any other editing directly in Wordpress, just press ‘post’ and it’s done. Two of the blogs, one large, one my own, sometimes require some extra editing of photos but that’s not a problem and still much easier than other options.
Having all of my posts organized in one place is extremely beneficial and makes finding old writing quicker and easier. Also makes cross-posting much easier on the few occasions I’ve done it. All of the editing tools I need are there.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thoughtful review! I appreciate it. I hope MarsEdit continues to serve you well for all your blogging needs.
Years in the Making
I've relied on two blog editors in over a decade of publishing content to MovableType and WordPress. First was ecto, but it stopped being a viable editor a loooooong time ago. I moved to MarsEdit 3 that looooong time ago, and virtually every blog post I've written for over a decade has been written in MarsEdit.
MarsEdit 4 is a beautiful, simple, efficient upgrade. It carries forth and improves the features every blog owner uses and needs, and enhances others that blog owners didn't THINK they needed but now will. :-) If you're still editing your blog posts in a Web interface, embrace MarsEdit and the power of a full Mac app for your editing. You'll save time, frustration, and energy.
The best got better with version 4.
Five stars? Yes, it's that good
So, you write a blog. Get MarsEdit. Yes, it's that good. ME was feature-rich and lovely to use when I bought it in 2007. Since then, I have seen results achieved by a tightly-focused developer’s obvious, relentless effort. Daniel has methodically smoothed the bumps and rounded the edges.
And smooth, baby, smooth.
I am a writer. I churn out columns, articles, and full-length non-fiction books. I started with the likes of Word 4.1a and MacWrite. I’ve used all of the current, modern word processors. I use the excellent Scrivener for all of this work.
But blogs? Blogs are different.
MarsEdit knows this. ME is a bespoke, focused creation with the tools needed to setup, write, and edit your blog. Upgrades are thoughtful and explained.
Support? I've had occasion to email a question, always receiving a quick response, sometimes the same day, certainly the next. No formulaic nonsense, either; Daniel actually reads emails, takes the time to understand the user issue, asks pertinent questions, and offer solutions.
Stop looking. Yes, it’s that good.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice review! And I'm glad to hear how valuable MarsEdit has been to you over the years. -- Daniel
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Red Sweater Software
- 20.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Red Sweater Software
- In-App Purchases
- 14-Day Free Trial $0.00
- "MarsEdit 4 Full License" $49.99
- Upgrade from MarsEdit 3 $24.99
- Recent Upgrade from MarsEdit 3 $0.00