The #1 Blog Editor for the Mac!
MarsEdit is the best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
Free to download! Unlock a free trial in the app, purchase a full license, or continue to use the app for free to maintain an archive on your Mac and work locally with your published blog posts. MarsEdit 5 can be unlocked at a discounted upgrade price by users who previously unlocked MarsEdit 4.
- Works with WordPress, Micro.blog, Tumblr, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens of other systems that support standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Write when and where you want to, with or without an internet connection. Fine-tune your next post on the boat, plane, or train, and publish it when you're back online.
- Browse your Apple Photos, drag images directly, or insert images into your blog post with the click of a button. MarsEdit uploads them all when you're ready to publish.
- Avoid common browser-based problems like losing your edits by navigating to another page, poor spelling for lack of a spell checker, etc.
- Perfect for professional bloggers and casual writers who don't want to mess around with clunky web-based interfaces. If you're lucky enough to have a Mac, nothing is more powerful or more elegant than MarsEdit.
- Write in Rich Text "WYSIWYG" that will be converted automatically to HTML when you publish, or hand-tune the HTML in a syntax-highlighted code editor. Markdown fan? Write in Markdown in the HTML editor and see a live-preview of the HTML rendering in the preview window.
- Compatible with macOS 10.15.4 or higher.
Coming to the Mac from Windows? MarsEdit is similar to Live Writer, the popular Windows blog editor, but differs in some ways. Ask around and read MarsEdit reviews to decide if MarsEdit is right for you.
This update includes a number of fixes to the plain text syntax highlighting, as well as a variety of other improvements:
* Plain Text editor improvements *
- Performance improvements and lots of little fixes
- Fix a bug that prevented syntax highlighting when an Emoji character was part of a post
- Restore functionality of "Check Spelling while Typing"
* Other Improvements *
- Restore MarsEdit 4 behavior of focusing on the body when opening an existing post
- Fix a bug that caused focus to shift to Local Drafts after publishing a Micropost
- Cmd-F shortcut now activates search field in post editor window, even if post content is not focused
- Upload Utility window now closes after clicking the "Upload Now" button
- Fix a bug that could cause the content of a post in Rich Text mode to disappear when pasting or undoing
- Fix an issue with the layout of the Post Templates blog settings section when the template text is long
Version 5.0.2 included these changes:
- Fix a bug that caused text flickering in plain text mode
- Fix a crash that could occur when editing in plain text mode
- Fix a bug that caused Tumblr Photo posts with large images to make the post editor window too large
- Add Find and Replace menu item with Cmd-Opt-F shortcut
- Clicking the circle in the calendar date picker now jumps to today
MarsEdit 5.0.1 included the following changes:
- Fix a bug that would cause version 5.0 of the app to expire (stop launching) after a few days
- Fix a crash when dismissing the Micropost panel on macOS 12 and earlier
- The Micropost panel now prevents posting a completely empty post
Version 5.0 is a major upgrade offering the following new features:
- Updated app icon with a modern style suitable latest macOS
- New Markdown syntax highlighting in plain text mode
- Rich editor now based on modern WebKit2 for improved performance and reliability
- New "Micropost" interface for streamlined publishing of short-form posts
- New calendar-based date editor changing publish dates
- New inline find/replace interface used throughout the app
- Support for inserting photos and sketches directly from iPhone or iPad
- Lots of little fixes here and there
If you have a minute, please leave a rating or review in the App Store. It means a lot.
Questions or concerns about the app? Get in touch at email@example.com. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Even better. Responsive developer. App does it best
If you have a need to blog, especially to wordpress, and if you ever get tempted to use applescript, share sheets, or shortcuts on your mac, don't look to wordpress to help you, but MarsEdit has forever been focused on bringing the creature comforts of your Mac to your wordpress blogging experience.
Over the years (starting since version 1), I've interacted with the developer and he's always been responsive, thoughtful, and open about the product and plans. Even though I don't have the extra features (*ahem* custom posts *wink*) I'd like to see, this is definitely put together by a developer that wants the experience of blogging to be mac native and work well! And the app delivers 100% -- Version 5 is excellent. so much so that I have it here on the app store and through setapp
SO looking forward to becomig more proficient with MarsEdit
As a long time dead Windows Live Writer (currently Open Live Writer) user, I've been hoping to find something to replace them order to abandon Windows fully and stick with MacOS (hopefully iOS iPad someday?). Having a responsive developer with deep roots in the Apple world constantly debugging and improving gives me hope. Although I'm just a week or so into using MarsEdit, it is almost exactly what I've been looking for ... add the ability to upload photos, video and PDF files to a separate image server ... be it publicly accessible cloud-based (ie. AWS S3, etc) or a SFTP low-cost server ... and I'll never look back. 😉
Indespensible for bloggers
If you have a blog, you need this app. I use it to write and review my writing in a different way to catch typos and code issues. I crank the type-size up and use Georgia so I can read what I wrote. And I use it to create local copies of my posts in case WordPress effs them up somehow. I even use it to write HTML emails via code. Plus, the developer is very responsive to solve problems (though, there are few). Just buy it already.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind words and positive review!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Red Sweater Software
- 19.5 MB
- Requires macOS 10.15.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Red Sweater Software
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade from MarsEdit 4 $29.99
- 14-Day Free Trial $0.00
- "MarsEdit 5 Full License" $59.99
- Recent Upgrade from MarsEdit 4 $0.00
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.