Marvin 3 17+
eBook and Comic Book Reader
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Refined by years of reader feedback and suggestions, Marvin 3 is the sequel to the acclaimed eBook reader for your iPhone and iPad. With over 150 new features and enhancements, Marvin is the perfect companion for people who are passionate about their books and comics. Get Marvin and find out why readers call it "the most brilliant eReader to come out in a long time".
Together with unprecedented customisation features, here are a few highlights of this release:
- Built from scratch with a brand new interface.
- Opens DRM-free EPUB books, CBX, and CBR comics.
- Supports all the latest iOS technologies including Split View, Slide Over, Spotlight, Touch ID, Today Widgets, iCloud, and iPad Pro.
- High-fidelity rendering with the most comprehensive set of customization options you're likely to use.
- Multi-theme UI with optional automatic light/dark switching.
- Vertical scrolling with auto scroll, guide bars, and edge tapping.
- Goodreads integration.
- Karaoke (speed reading).
- External Bluetooth keyboard and remote control support including customizable key commands for in-book navigation and control.
- Side-load your own fonts.
- Reading statistics.
- Integration with Marvin Side-by-Side (*).
- New library viewing modes and management tools.
- Quick launch panel on iPad.
- Fully customizable, independent, portrait and landscape multi-column modes.
- Whole book page numbering.
- Substantially improved highlighting.
- Footnote popups.
- Photo exporer.
- Reading journal with photos, tags, and maps.
- Extensive import and export tools.
(*) Works best on devices that support Split View and Slide Over, and requires the corresponding Marvin SxS app.
Visit appstafarian.com for a complete and impressive feature list.
Marvin opens DRM-free EPUB books (basic support for 3.0), and CBZ/CBR comics.
If you're into DRM-free books, we worked hard to make Marvin the best way to enjoy them.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
This update includes:
* New: Improved compatibility with iOS 11 and latest devices.
* Fixed: Dropbox connectivity problems.
* Updated: Improved Dropbox sync performance.
* Updated: Improved performance of image effects in comic viewer.
* Fixed: Display artefacts on latest devices and system software.
* Updated: Twitter and Facebook share sheets replaced by system share sheet +++
* Miscellaneous performance improvements and fixes.
+++ From iOS 11 onwards, native Twitter and Facebook share sheets need to be replaced with the standard system share sheet. To post you will need the official Twitter and/or Facebook apps installed.
Thanks a lot to everyone who took the time to submit a bug report and provide feedback.
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing eBook Reader, with decent Comic Support
I think this app is incredible and feature rich, and found the investment to unlock all the features with a one time in-app purchase reasonable. After reading the app description, I learned this is the first version with .cbr & .cbz support. When you combine a comic reader with this apps support for OPDS feeds, you’ve got a great way to quickly import multiple comics wirelessly with absolutely no trouble.
My suggestions to make the comic experience better would be to implement a feature that allows double tapping the screen to zoom in and quickly bring the comic into edge to edge focus of the device display. Additionally for iPads, it would be awesome to allow for a two page layout in a landscape orientation.
I look forward to the next update to full integrate into iOS 12!
Actually… Still works!
The fact that this App has not been updated for 5 years is unfortunate. Yet, it is remarkable also, because the App remains unrivaled. For those 5 years (and many more before) this has remained absolutely the best App for anyone who cares about the aesthetics of the reading experience, iPhone screen real estate, menu options etc.
I’m writing this review to help other readers who, like me, are not thrilled by the alternatives to Marvin.
It did seam that the iOS 16 killed Marvin. I, together with other users who wrote about this, thought so, and I started looking for the replacement. Nothing came close, so I decided to toggle Marvin one last time. By accident, I found out that YOU CAN STILL HIGHLIGHT TEXT, and do all the things we’ve been able to do before. You just have to be a little patient. When the “text selection menu“ comes up (from the system, not the app), just tap the arrow on the right. Tap the seemingly blank sections of the menu that will appear, and you’ll get the options you’ve had before - highlights, notes, dictionaries etc)
So, although Marvin has been wounded by this iOS 16, it has not been killed.
Undoubtedly, this App, clearly abandoned by its developers, will die sooner or later. But, until it dies, it shall remain the best.
The Best There Was
Marvin 3 is the best reading app ever created. None of the mediocre store-linked apps that dominate the field even come close. Not Books, certainly not Kindle, and, sadly, none of the many other failed efforts no longer extant due to the corporate monopolies that have rendered eReaders a dead market.
Whatever it’s flaws, Marvin 3 is a skilled labor of love unmatched by anything before or since. It’s the last attempt to serve serious readers rather than greedy publishers, a vanishing breed in a world of ever-increasing functional illiteracy.
I can’t blame the developer for giving up, but I do wish it were otherwise. I’d gladly pay more for an evolving product than I do for my MS Office or Adobe Creative Suite subscriptions, or any of the other mediocrities that dominate the software industry through rapacious business practices rather than elegant design. A good reader is worth more to me than just about else I buy, and I wouldn’t mind being paying accordingly for something truly wonderful.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Appstafarian Limited
- 87.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2013-2016, Appstafarian Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Features $4.99
- Fabulous Tip $4.99
- Generous Tip $0.99
- Amazing Tip $1.99
- Incredible Tip $2.99