Mast is a beautiful Mastodon app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customisable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
I've also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! I hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon and Pleroma give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the increased character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
If you're a fan of details, here's what Mast contains:
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night), true black dark mode (midnight), and midnight blue themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customization
- Multiple user accounts
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Polls support (create, view, vote)
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Dedicated chat-like direct messages section
- Media galleries
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Schedule toots for the future
- Filter toots
- Endorse accounts
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Content warning overlays (shake to display again)
- Dynamic history view
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customizable gestures
- Multi-column iPad app
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- URL schemes
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customize as you see fit
- Image and video audio to text conversion
- VoiceOver accessibility for the visually impaired
- Universal iOS app (iPhone, iPad, iPad Pro)
- Supports iOS multitasking on the iPad (Slide Over and Split View)
(Requires a Mastodon account, blocks gab.com and associated domains/content from within the app by default, Mast does not appreciate or encourage hate speech masquerading as free speech)
I'm constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, I’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
Mastodon Developer: @JPEG@mastodon.technology
Mast will now become 'Mast Legacy', as an all-new, faster, and more powerful version of Mast is being worked on.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Hands down, the best looking and most featureful Fediverse client for iOS
- Looks great.
- Loads of settings and things to tweak.
- Quickly adds support for new features. Mastodon polls for example.
- Active developer who listens and fixes bugs.
- Works well with not just Mastodon, but also Pleroma.
- Tries hard to hold read position and update the timeline in a usable way.
- Loads of settings and things to tweak. Yeah, this is also in the Pros sections. I'd much rather have, less but rock solid features, and sane defaults for a bunch of the things that are settings.
- New features can be buggy or work inconsistently.
- While it tries hard to get position holding and new posts added properly in timelines, it has trouble updating timelines and reliably requesting new posts. At least with Pleroma. As of this review, probably my biggest issue with the client.
Conclusion, it's great and you should try it.
Gorgeous and loaded with features
This is hands down the most gorgeous Mastodon app on iOS. It can be a little daunting to see so many settings to fiddle around with but it’s a good thing that you can fine tune it however you want it. Browsing other instance timelines can be a bit overwhelming on desktop but Mast shows it in a chronological order and saves that instance if you want to peruse it at a later time. All the goodness of an instance without any commitment. I particularly like the long press shortcut. I have it configured for composing new toots but you can practically have share sheet, lists, new toot, search, cycle through themes or just do nothing. There’s a thumb scroller if you prefer to use your phone with one hand. It’s these little things that make this app a joy to use.
One annoying issue I recently had to face was that in the latest version 1.7.6 it would crash on Notifications tab. I had to nuke out the notifications and cache from settings to make it work again. A personal pet peeve of mine is that the toots are a tad too sensitive to touch. More often than not I happen to swipe the toot left or right when I intend to scroll up or down. Regardless of these, Mast makes tooting fun.
PS: Look out for the options under the breadcrumb next to your profile in the app. Scroll down to Entertainment. Be entertained!
Very promising, pleasant to use, minor snags yet
I've been using Mast for a few days so far, and it's been quite great! The interface feels well thought out and behaves as I'd expect it to. It supports the Mastodon features you need (message privacy, CW's, sensitivity and textual descriptions for pictures), and feels pleasant and fast.
Some toothing problems in this revision, but I expect they'll get fixed soon!
* the "activity" view crashes very often
* you can use the app one handed! Great when waiting in line: double-tap images to zoom, throw them away to dismiss; unfortunately, dismissing animated GIFs requires stretching your thumb all the way to the X in the far left corner (Mast does picture in picture, which seems neat but I don't use it)
* It still loses scroll state on occasion (but is pretty good at retaining the position usually!)
* content-warning posts, once revealed, can't be closed again; the only way I found to do that has been to scroll away, which restores the warning (weirdly: I've seen background refreshes restore the content warning without any interaction from me)
Overall, I think this app is more than worth the price! Once the crasher bugs are fixed, I'd absolutely recommend using it for anyone's Mastodon needs!
- Shihab Mehboob
- 63.2 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 17+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.