A delightful Mastodon client
Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
Mastonaut is a Mastodon client for Mac.
Mastodon is a distributed social network of over 2 million users and hundreds of servers catering to the most varied set of interests and topics. Mastonaut is an easy-to-use and beautiful window into this world. Browse, follow, interact, and contribute to this amazing community from the comfort of your Mac.
As a lovingly-crafted app from a Mastodon user to other Mastodon users, Mastonaut is made to integrate with macOS in the finest aspects. Some features include:
* Thoughtful interface, made for the Mac, with simple usability and powerful capabilities.
* A concise status composer, that also lets you submit posts with image and video attachments that can be drag-and-dropped from Finder.
* Keyboard navigation, so you can quickly browse through your feed
* Polls support: Vote on polls right from your timelines, and compose your own, right from Mastonaut.
* Instance emoji support: Each mastodon instance has its own set of custom and often animated emoji. Mastonaut makes sure you can enjoy them at their best by letting you see them in your timelines, and also letting you insert them using a picker in the composer. But if you're a pro you can also insert instance emoji by simply typing their shortcode between colons.
* Versatile column-based layout, that allows browsing anywhere from a simple and straightforward single-column mode, to a many column window that lets you keep everything that's happening now right in front of you.
* Multi-Account support, so that you can manage and post from several accounts (even in different servers) at once (and quickly switch between them via keyboard shortcuts).
* Mention auto-complete: Just type the first few characters from a user's handle to get Mastonaut to suggest them to you.
* Full support for media and content warnings (spoiler warnings), so that you don't have to see what you don't want to see.
* Annotated media support, so you can access the accessibility labels of attachments in posts, but also insert annotations on your own posts.
* Search: Find users by handle or display name, and lookup hashtags.
* Delete & Redraft: We all make typos, so Mastonaut lets you quickly delete and re-draft your statuses. It will even reuse the attachments from the original status so you don't need to upload them again.
* Notifications: Get notified when other users mention you, or favorite your toots. Notifications can be configured per account.
* Share extension: Share webpages, text, and images right from other apps such as Safari, Photos, or Finder.
* Saved tags: Bookmark your tags to easily browse through them later.
* Account editing support: You can update most of your accounts settings from Mastonaut, including your avatar and header, your bio, fields, and more.
The goal for Mastonaut is to be the best client for Mastodon, period. User feedback is extremely welcome, as this is the only way that such a bold goal can be achieved.
If you're unfamiliar with the Mastodon network and would like to learn more, visit joinmastodon.org.
To learn more about Mastonaut, visit mastonaut.app.
Note to Pleroma users: Although Pleroma servers are supported, there are some quirks and differences in the APIs that makes it hard for a client to support both Pleroma and Mastodon fully. In cases where API issues are present, Mastonaut opts to honor Mastodon's behavior first. Bugs have been filed with Pleroma's developers for the known issues, but since Mastodon is a complex system, comprehensive support can't be guaranteed. Feel free to reach out at the support link for Mastonaut if you have any questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Mastonaut will not interact with servers that are known to not moderate the content posted by their users. The list of blocked servers is not comprehensive, and might change under request from Apple, or at the discretion of the developer. The list of blocked servers is available at the support link. Thank you for your understanding.
This is a small update that fixes rendering issues with the latest version of macOS.
Ratings and Reviews
Solid native macOS experience despite lacking some features
As an ardent lover of both the Fediverse and native macOS apps, I could easily justify the price tag for a native app. The app is indeed delightful to use.
I would love to see it become more feature rich, e.g. combine multiple hashtags into one column. see the “Followed” list of an account, etc. Already sent an email for feedback.
Good with glaring issue
Almost everything about Mastonaut is good, with the exception of the UX of interacting with CWs. opening a CW requires clicking a tiny button, and if the toot has an image attached I have to hit a SECOND button to show it. On all other clients ive used, opening a CWed toot is just a single click anywhere on the CW itself.
Great Mastodon client
Mastonaut has most of what I want in a Mastodon app, and it is regularly improving.
One thing I wish for: the notifications/activity panel to stay open between app launches. It's a little thing, but it's kind of tedious to have to reopen it every time I launch Mastonaut.
Otherwise, I'm pretty happy. Buy it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bruno Philipe Resende Silva
- 10.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019-2021 Bruno Philipe Resende Silva