Maxel is an efficient and easy-to-use download manager which can:
- Resume most downloads, even if your mac restarts
- Speed up downloads by splitting the file into up to 100 segments
- Automatically retry stalled downloads and manage your download queue
- Drag & drop selections from webpages into Maxel to download any links within
- Kickoff downloads from within Safari/Chrome/Firefox
- Log into file sharing websites from Maxel's built-in browser to download authenticated files
- Compute MD5/SHA1 hashes of files to detect corruption
- Use SSH public key authentication for SFTP
- An API for adding downloads in scripts
Maxel supports the following protocols: http, https, sftp
- Dark Mode Support
- Brazilian Portuguese Localization
- Fixed a bug where app could crash when browser windows are closed early
Ratings and Reviews
Does what it claims very well
The download speed of safari vs Maxel is a massive difference. Normal download time for a 7.5gb file was estimated at two hours in safari, Maxel finished it in less than 20 minutes.
Easily the best downloader for Mac.
As an ardent supporter of the Downlthemall Firefox plugin for a decade I became sick of it’s instability and wanted a standalone program that functions well in the Mac ecosystem. This program has been a pleasure to use as it’s intuitive and simple to use while being feature rich. This feels like a fully fleshed out program unlike other clunky standalone programs and browser addons which I’ve tested out, it’s also being actively developed. I've sucessfully been able to download 20+ files each in 5-10 parts simultaneously without my system being too taxed, and even with connection interruptiongs everything resumes without a hitch and unpacks flawlessly.
Fantastic little app
Have you ever tried downloading files in your browser and wondered why it takes such a long time? Well, wait no more, because Maxel is a handy little app that drastically speeds up your file downloads. It also manages downloads in the background, resuming interrupted ones that your native browser would fail to redownload upon crashing (and we’ve all been there). The app has been in active development with an extensive beta phase and the developer is highly receptive to feedback - definitely give this app a try, especially if you frequently fetch large files from the web. The time you save is well worth the few bucks spent.
- Chris Li
- 5.6 MB
macOS 10.14 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2011-2016 Chris Li
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.