MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.
The MediaInfo data display includes:
- Container: format, profile, commercial name of the format, duration, overall bit rate, writing application and library, title, author, director, album, track number, date...
- Video: format, codec id, aspect, frame rate, bit rate, color space, chroma subsampling, bit depth, scan type, scan order...
- Audio: format, codec id, sample rate, channels, bit depth, bit rate, language...
- Subtitles: format, codec id, language of subtitle...
- Chapters: count of chapters, list of chapters...
The MediaInfo analyticals includes:
- Container: MPEG-4, QuickTime, Matroska, AVI, MPEG-PS (including unprotected DVD), MPEG-TS (including unprotected Blu-ray), MXF, GXF, LXF, WMV, FLV, Real...
- Tags: Id3v1, Id3v2, Vorbis comments, APE tags...
- Video: MPEG-1/2 Video, H.263, MPEG-4 Visual (including DivX, XviD), H.264/AVC, Dirac...
- Audio: MPEG Audio (including MP3), AC3, DTS, AAC, Dolby E, AES3, FLAC, Vorbis, PCM...
- Subtitles: CEA-608, CEA-708, DTVCC, SCTE-20, SCTE-128, ATSC/53, CDP, DVB Subtitle, Teletext, SRT, SSA, ASS, SAMI...
MediaInfo features include:
- Read many video and audio file formats
- View information in different formats (text, tree)
- Export information as text
- Graphical user interface, command line interface, or library (.dylib) versions available (command line interface and library versions are available separately, free of charge, on the editor website)
- Integrate with the shell (drag 'n' drop, and Context menu)
Some frequently asked questions can be found at http://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo/Support/FAQ
- Update to MediaInfo library 19.07 with bug fixes, see https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo/ChangeLog for more details.
- Add media compare feature for subscriptors
Ratings and Reviews
Simple and usefuly utility, well executed and robust for its purpose
This is an awesome little app which does one thing: tells you exactly what is inside your media files. It does this extremely well.
It accepts every video file format that I'm aware of. The GUI is lean and straightforward. The output is detailed and efficiently presented. This app is far better than the built-in info functions in IINA or VLC, which I have used in the past. It’s really useful for managing and tidying a (video) media library---you can easily see which files are bloated with audio tracks, which are lower quality than you want, wrong language, etc. It feels like it should be built into the Mac operating system.
1. For side-by-side, I made a copy of the app in Applications and run two instances next to each other. This is at least 90% a good enough solution.
2. You can choose to open a whole folders of media files. After a minute or two for several TB of movies, the files are listed in the drop-down menu (nonalphabetically!!! CC: devs). You can easily go back and forth between them.
Close to perfect utility app
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review and constructive criticism points.
For point 1, it is planned to have a comparison feature in the future.
For point 2, we order on operating system order, but we understand that alphabetical order is preferred, we'll fix that in a near future, with maybe a tooltip indicating that there is a drop-menu when there are more than 1 file analyzed.
Indispensible Little Gem of an App
I use this thing all the time. I get useful information out of it and people think I'm some kind of wizard. The new JSON output is great. (pretty-printed would be even better!)
But the feature I'd like the most is to be able to compare two (or more) media files and quickly identify just what's different.
Developer Response ,
File comparison feature is currently being developed.
(and right, we need to polish a but the JSON output as well as the XML one)
Does exactly what I need it to. I only with that you could have multiple working windows open displaying different individual file information to compare.
- 4.8 MB
OS X 10.6 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © MediaArea.net
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.