Do you think learning can be funny? Would you like to laugh while you learn English? Meet our award-winning friend Heckerty — a 409 year old green-faced witch, hilarious and with a heart of gold.
An Editor’s Choice by Children’s Technology Review, a Mashable Kids Pick and proclaimed a “must have” by The Unofficial Apple Weblog, “Meet Heckerty” delivers. The superb narration and interactive animations are ideal for children 3-8 years old, as well as anyone learning English.
Kind and gentle, Heckerty learns every day from her own silly mistakes. And as kids laugh their way through her zany adventures and their magical interactive animations, they discover important life values — caring, inclusiveness, loyalty and integrity.
Everyone loves Heckerty and as you watch your child improve their reading and vocabulary while laughing with Heckerty, you will, too!
So download “Meet Heckerty” now and discover just how magical a child’s story can be!
• Editor's Choice, Mashable Kids Pick and named a “must have” by TUAW. Rated 5 stars by users & reviewers and a Shorty Award 2013 finalist for best app.
• Superb narration by famous British broadcaster; created by one of England’s most acclaimed storytellers, all in beautiful gentle English storytelling style
• Ideal for kids and adults to improve English reading & vocabulary — to be read out loud or as a bedtime story. Perfect for ESL (English as a second language) and children on the autism spectrum.
• Rich, entertaining interactive animations and graphics. Kids enjoy the storytelling, learning words and spelling as they play, and discovering values like diversity, inclusiveness and caring at the same time.
• Designed for children alone or with an adult (choose between the "Read to me" and "Read by myself" options).
• New bonus stories and games videos - tap the image at the bottom of the contents page. Requires Internet connection.
• Added support for recent iOS devices.
• Tested under iOS 11.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A Fun and Funny Witch
(This is an updated review) I'd previously reviewed "Meet Heckerty" and given it a lower star rating owing to some technical problems and what seemed to be a lack of tech support. I've since been contacted by the developers who very nicely explained the miscommunication and have a fix for my problem (repeated crashes) on the way.
So I'm now happy to give "Meet Heckerty" 4 stars, because the story of a witch whose face turns green is fun, the illustrations and animations are very nice, and the narration (by Heckerty herself) is a treat: the voice of a real storyteller. Note that because the illustrations have fine detail and are somewhat small on the page, "Meet Heckerty" is going to be a more satisfying experience on an iPad than an iPhone-sized screen...though the images are pleasing even at the smaller size. Also, be sure to read the "Hints and Tips" before jumping into the story in order to enjoy various features like hearing individual words pronounced when you tap them.
Fun, interactive way to read
In addition to being a fun children's story, Meet Heckerty offers a fun, hands-on alternative to reading. The app provides the option to have the story read to you, or you can read the story on your own. Regardless of which option you choose, the story comes to life through all the interactions (tapping on the words for help pronouncing, tapping on a character or item to set it into action, etc.). An app for all children learning to read to enjoy!
Enchanting! Fun for little and big kids of all ages.
I bought this app for my kids on the recommendation of a good friend. They're 5 year old twin boys, and were totally enchanted by the story. There are clickable animations on each page, and all of the words are clickable. They click away and make silly combinations with the words, and echoes, and stuff like that.
I'd highly recommend it for kids of any age, and to be honest - I found myself clicking around the app quite a bit myself, and I'm 44!
- Broomstick Productions inc
- 100.6 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2017, Broomstick Productions, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.