Mela 4 – AUv3: Synth, FX, MIDI 4+
Build Music, Design Sound
Mela is a modular music-making tool that scales with your needs. With its intuitive interface, you can seamlessly build fully custom monophonic synthesisers, unique audio effects, and complex MIDI processors. Mela can run as a standalone app on iOS and macOS or as an AUv3 plug-in inside your favourite DAW such as AUM, Drambo, Logic Pro and many more.
A Mela preset is made up of ordered modules arranged on lanes that process audio and MIDI signals. Each lane can receive and send signals to and from the host or other lanes using buses. The modulator modules can modulate any parameter of any module on any lane. The lanes and modules can be easily added, removed or rearranged making the preset as complex or as simple as desired. Mela comes with 42 modules, with new ones added with every update. The following are some examples from different categories.
- MIDI processors: arpeggiator, chord, note echo, scale, strummer
- Synth building blocks: virtual-analog oscillator, FM operator, noise, filter, amp envelope, distortion
- Modulators: envelope follower, envelope generator, LFO, macro control, MIDI source, random
- Audio effects: chorus, delay, flanger, phaser, compressor
- Utility: level metering, MIDI logger, audio oscilloscope
Inside a host, Mela can be loaded as one of the following plug-in types: Instrument, Audio Effect or MIDI Processor. The only difference between them is the number of audio and MIDI inputs and outputs. Otherwise, the features are identical and a preset created in one type can be opened by another.
Mela's capabilities continuously improve, evolve and expand based on its long-term vision and user feedback. Feel free to get in touch for anything Mela related.
Say Hello: nikolozi.com/contact
Mela 3 vs Mela 4: nikolozi.com/mela/getting-started/#mela-3-vs-mela-4
DS Oscillator Module:
- This module is based on a distortion synthesis technique.
- You can morph the waveform between a square and a sawtooth using the Shape parameter.
- You can adjust the harmonic richness of the waveform using the Harmonics parameter.
- The module graph displays the waveform the oscillator is generating.
- Drag the graph horizontally to adjust the Shape parameter or vertically to adjust the Harmonics parameter.
- Double-tap the graph to reset the waveform to the default shape.
- In Mela 2-3, this oscillator was known as "Pitch Dist", but the new module name describes the algorithm more accurately.
- The Pitch Processor module applies vibrato to the input Pitch signal.
- It's driven by a sinusoid LFO which retriggers on every note-on event only if no other notes are held.
- The LFO's rate can be tempo synced or set in hertz.
- The module can be inserted either on the Audio or Instrument lane.
Pitch Ratio Module:
- The Pitch Processor module modifies the input Pitch signal by multiplying it by a ratio of 2 integers. This is especially useful for ring and frequency modulation synthesis.
- The Ratio control displays the resulting ratio multiplier that's applied to the input Pitch signal.
- The ratio is simplified by reducing the numerator and denominator to coprime numbers.
- Tapping on the control gives you the option to quickly set the ratio to one of the common musical intervals.
Pitch Bend Module:
- The Pitch Processor module transposes the input Pitch signal according to the Pitch Bend MIDI messages it receives.
- Its parameters allow you to set positive and negative transpositions to have different values.
- The module displays the current Pitch Bend value in semitones as well as provides visual indicators for the Pitch Wheel position.
MIDI Source Module:
- All MIDI CC messages are now supported by MIDI Source.
- The module now also supports Release Velocity.
- The Input parameter's "Random" value was renamed to "Random on Note-on" to improve clarity.
- Added the Smoothing parameter, which is useful for smoothing out the discontinuities in the modulation signal generated from the incoming MIDI messages.
- Mela's UI has been simplified by merging the sidebar functionality into the toolbar.
- Removed redundant buttons.
- Tapping on the Preset Selector will toggle the Preset Browser visibility.
- On the iPhone, the lanes now extend to the edges of the device, utilising the screen fully.
- Added the Theme Designer in the Settings.
- It allows you to customise Mela's appearance.
- When the Theme field is set to "Custom" the Theme Designer becomes accessible.
- Use the Copy and Paste buttons to save and load custom themes.
- It's a list of 5 colours in hex format in plain text and can be easily shared with other Mela users.
- You can view themes created by other artists by tapping on "Artist Themes".
- Added "White" as one of the selectable themes.
- Mela now allows the host to query for a small number of the plug-in's most important parameters. Mela defines these based on what the user has assigned to the Perform View. For example, Logic Pro for iPad will display the first 3 parameters of the Perform View.
- Changed FM Operator's Intensity maximum value from 800% to 400%.
- Fixed a preset title text to be correctly truncated when it's too long to fit properly.
- Fixed the Settings toolbar being truncated in Logic Pro for iPad.
- Updated the Getting Started document.
- Added presets that showcase new features.
Ratings and Reviews
Probably my favorite synth on the App Store and it triples as a fantastic audio and midi effect. 100/10.
Developer Response ,
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nikolozi Meladze
- 3.3 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2017-2023 Nikolozi Meladze. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.