Join over 42 million people. Have fun. Learn your fave language and impress the hell out of yourself with what you can achieve. Let real native speakers teach you their language from the streets of their home town through our Learn with Locals video clips.
Give us a try – your first lesson's on the house.
Choose your language:
Spanish, French, Japanese, German, Korean, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Arabic, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Polish, Turkish or Danish.
Here's why we're different:
We've got killer learning science behind the scenes. It speeds up your learning and helps you remember your new words, as if your mind keeps hitting the save button. Not that you'd notice. You're too busy watching fun video clips, seeing real locals in bucket-list destinations and playing little quiz-type games. The opposite of textbook learning.
Wherever you Memrise, you're a million miles from the classroom.
Then the good bit happens. You're in the moment, a local wants to talk. Do you freeze up? No. Not on our watch. You recall the key phrases you learned. You speak naturally. Not perfect but it's still good banter. You aren't worried. You're just going for it. You're off-the-charts confident.
Download Memrise to:
- Learn with locals: we took real native speakers and shrunk them into the app. Your miniature friends help you learn fun, conversational phrases. A few swear words too.
- Practice games: our science does one-to-one coaching with your mind, while you have fun with Speed Review, Listening Skills, and Classic Review. Our Difficult Words sessions, powered with Apple's Core ML, is designed to help you master those trickier words.
- Improve your pronunciation: so when you say 'beaucoup' (a lot) you never accidentally say it 'beau cul' (nice ass). Record yourself and our smart tech will tell you if you got it right or need to try again.
- Learn anywhere: download your course to learn in places that don't have signal and seem to be stuck in the 80s.
- Build an entertaining habit: learn as much or as little as you want. You only need 5 minutes a day to improve. Perfect for making your loo break a lot more fun.
You need a Memrise subscription to access all courses and features. But the courses and features that are available vary depending on the language of your device.
• Once your purchase is confirmed, your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account.
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless you cancel at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• Your account is charged for renewal within 24-hours before the current subscription period ends.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewals by going to your Account Settings on the App Store.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication.
Follow us on social media for inspiration on your foray into the language learning world:
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/memrise/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/memrise
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/memrise/
We knew you were coming over so we cleaned up the place. We brushed up some old code, refreshed server errors and vacuumed some bugs. Can we fix you a drink?
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
With Memrise, language learning’s a game—the irresistible kind that anyone can pick up and play. It teaches you everyday words and phrases—perfect for your next trip abroad—and reinforces them with fun quizzes and playful images. We get an awesome sense of progress every time we use it.
Best Learning App!!!
Memrise is really good! It has similar learning styles with other apps, the flash card style memorization, but it also has audio and the “robots” saying the words sound very human, they are male and female voices so you can catch some of the nuances of each. One of the best features is it has video of natives saying the words. You can keep repeating the video until you have really understood the words. This helped immensely in my Japanese lessons. The interface is really good too, easy to use, intuitive for practicing specific things, you can focus on just listening, spelling/writing/reading even your own pronunciation. They recently added video of writing the hiragana and katakana. Now I can see the stroke order, and practice reading people’s handwriting and have more ideas of what it’s gonna look like on a billboard or sign here in Japan. I’m really really pleased with this app. Oh, and to top it off, you can download the lessons so they will be available offline. I really can study anywhere. I thought 60$ for the year was reasonably priced, but I was bummed I didn’t see the 100$ unlimited, I think I would have liked to have bought that instead. This app beats the others, in my opinion by a long shot. You have to download all the free ones and practice each just to get a similar well roundedness that Memrise has, and then you still won’t get the most useful feature, the videos. I would recommend it to everyone trying to learn Japanese!!! Go Memrise!!!
Developer Response ,
Hi StingraeC, Thank you for your feedback! We love you're enjoying Memrise. If the "robots" sound very human is because they are! :) We use real humans for our videos and audio clips so you can enjoy a full immersive experience. The Japanese course is one of our favourites too! And so are the Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, Korean, Russian, German, English... :) Keep on learning!
Please make other options available
I am a new 18 year old college student and wanted to be able to learn new languages on my own time and this app looked promising. For the most part it is. I can say that i have learned some helpful words and romanization for the words, however, as amazing as this app is I find it incredibly frustrating that I cannot proceed without paying absurd amounts of money per month. I signed up for a free trial which in my opinion should mean that i have free reign of the app for the duration of a week. Unfortunately I am only able to take the first lessen, everything else is locked and if I wish to move on an add pops up on my screen to pay for the pro version. I understand that it is a way for the makers to get paid for the app but if the app is free then I should be able to believe that it will stay free. As an educational app that I know many people are using for their own benefit and growth there should be a way for individuals to use the app without having to pay so much. Even if that means that they can only do a lesson each day at least they can proceed to learn, and if they want to do more like an entire section then they could pay a small fee around about 5 to 10 dollars. I just find it slightly unfair that this app is shown as a free learning app and after being on it for 10 minutes it wants you to pay 20, 30, 50 dollars. The app is great but that main factor is what makes me dislike it immensely.
- 337.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Memrise
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Language Learning Plan $8.99
- Annual Language Learning Plan $79.99
- Memrise Subscription Offer $45.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.