Merlin Project Express is the slickest project management app for the Mac – optimized for home and semi-professional users.
Do you only work on projects occasionally? Then subscribing to Merlin Project Express is precisely for you. Only pay when you actually use the app, and once you’ve tried it out in your own time.
• Annual or monthly subscription required to create & work on projects
• No subscription required to open and view existing Merlin Project documents
• 14 days free trial included
Are you a project professional? Then take a look at our main product "Merlin Project", which is also available here in the App Store.
Prices vary depending on geographical location. Subscriptions are billed via your credit card or iTunes account. Your subscription will renew automatically unless canceled within 24 hours prior to the end of the current subscription period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. You may cancel automatic renewal by selecting Manage App Subscriptions in your iTunes Account settings and selecting the subscription you want to modify.
Visit our website to learn more: https://projectwizards.net/products/merlin-project-express
New calculated fields:
The following new fields are available as columns for the work-breakdown view, the assignments view and the resources view:
- Expected Work Variance: Contains the net difference between Expected Work and Planned Work. A positive value means more work compared to the plan.
- Expected Duration Variance: Contains the net difference between Expected Duration and Planned Duration. A positive value means a longer duration compared to the plan.
- Expected Start Variance: Contains the net duration between Planned Start and Expected Start. A positive value means a delay in the start.
- Expected End Variance: Contains the net duration between Planned End and Expected end. A positive value means a delay at the end.
- Expected Cost Variance: The difference between Expected Costs and Planned Costs. A positive value means increased costs compared to the plan.
More flexibility in the utilization views:
In the assignments view, you can now also display selected fields of the associated activities in rows for assignments. The following new columns are available for this purpose:
- Code (Activity)
- Notes (Activity)
- # (Activity)
You can also display the corresponding fields of the assigned resources in the work-breakdown view. The columns are marked with the suffix "(Resource)".
More overview in the work breakdown view:
- Customize the display of assigned resources via the context menu of the resource column. With the new "Show content" option, you can now select whether column content is only displayed on the activities or also on activity groups.
- The minimum operating system is now macOS 11.
- The view settings inspector now closes automatically when you select a new table row.
- If you enter actual work values without a time unit in the inspector, the unit is automatically taken from other fields already filled in.
- If activities are still assigned when deleting resources, a warning dialog is now displayed.
- Timescale tiers in Gantt charts can now also be selected via the "Display > Timescale > Tiers" menu.
- When adding new columns, you can now select multiple list entries.
- Documents from some MindManager versions could not be imported.
- Under macOS Sonoma, Merlin Project may not be able to access calendars and reminders.
- File attachments could receive an incorrect timestamp.
- When editing headers or footers in the print preview, Merlin Project could crash under macOS Sonoma.
- When changing print settings, the print preview did not always adjust correctly.
- The help menu was too wide under macOS Sonoma.
- Help texts for menu items were not displayed under macOS Sonoma.
- Some pop-up menus were displayed in the wrong place under macOS Sonoma.
- CTRL clicks did not work in the style inspector.
- General stability has been improved.
Ratings and Reviews
The LITTLE Brother of Merlin Project
Overall, I like this app very much. It is significantly less expensive to RENT than Merlin Project, and noticeably less powerful. Most of the professional Project Management features of Merlin Project won't be missed - but a few will be. For example, there's no view or report that shows a resource is overbooked (as far as I can see).
It's important to note that the FILES are compatible between Project Express and Merlin Project, so you can always rent its big brother to get a missing view or report.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the app. We appreciate your feedback.
Better than MS Project on a Mac
For the price of a latte per month, you can have a powerful tool for building and managing projects. The beauty of Merlin is you can keep it simple or deep dive into utilizations and cost. Need to get a project approved by management? You can quickly create colorful Gannt charts and export them to your presentation software. Did someone in your group build an MS project program and you just want to look at it? Merlin reads and writes MS Project. Don't have a Mac? For the same price of MS Project you can buy a new Macbook Merlin. Or buy an iPad and Merlin for half the cost ,keep your Windows machine and buy 100 lattes.
Developer Response ,
Exactly Freudiemac, keep it simple and go for as much information depth as you need with a great flexibility on the devices to use it. Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it.
Love or Hate
I've been using this app for a couple of years already and while lately the developers have improved the UI and made some meaningful changes, I still run into extremely frustrating situation. Either resource assignments don't calculate correctly or you get conflict warnings without any explanation or simply basic controls are burried and takes forever to do simple operation. That's why I love it and a hate it at the same time!
Developer Response ,
Thank you CHRISmanWeb for your review. Feel free to contact our support when ever need to, we'll be happy to help you: email@example.com
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- ProjectWizards GmbH
- 36.7 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © ProjectWizards GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $4.99
- Annual Subscription $49.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.