- Moved subscription management to a separate panel which can be opened from the Merlin Project menu.
- Improved general stability.
- Sometimes, the list of resource calendar exceptions did not refresh correctly.
- The height of Gantt bars can now be reduced down to 2 points.
Ratings and Reviews
First, allow me to qualify myself - I am a Project Management Professional with 30 years experience in project management and have been teaching project management, including MS Project, for the past 18 years. My first impression is that it is fairly decent tool and pretty easy to use if you know the best practices in scheduling. Note: I have not explored the muti-user, complex functions of the SW.
I have only used the sheduling portion of the SW. That’s OK becauese I have found the rescorce planning and loading in all scheduling tools to be require a so much investment in time to set up and maintain as to be cost prohibitive. That said, in the several days I have taken to explore Merlin, I suggest the following improvements:
1. Incude all the task relatonships. Only FS and SS are included. FF in particular is missing and most useful. SF should be included for completeness.
2. There is no network diagram view. While this view to look at the overall projct is generally imposssible to fit on one screen in a useful way, the network view is most useful in finding “hangers” and to check that all the necessary predecessors are defined and there are no incorrect ones.
3. The calendar assumes a 40 hour 5 day workweek. It does not allow a 7 day workweek unless you schedule 24 hours a day and 168 hour workweek.
4. The user manual documentaton found in the trial version of “Help” is merely a description of the each screen. If does not provide detailed informtion on how to use the functions of the SW. For example, there is not listing of supported predecessor relationships or how the calendar variables interact.
Allow me to qualify myself so you can validte the veracity of my comments - I am a Project Management Professional with 30 years experience in project management and have been teaching project management, including MS Project, for the past 18 years.
I rated it 4 stars because it does comply in large measure with best practices, is reasonabley intuitive and is available at a reasonable cost.
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much Steve for your positive review and your suggestions on how to improve Merlin Project Express and its documentation. We really appreciate your thoughts and forwarded them to the responsible colleagues. We already replied to you in a direct email, so just to make sure other users don't get the wrong impression: - Express includes all four dependency types - You can change the default calendar having 40 hours for 5 days per week to what ever actual calendar you need. For more information please contact the Merlin support by email. Thanks again.
Doesn’t Let me Subscribe
I actually like this app, but it doesn’t let me subscribe to extend my service. Wish I could use it. Reaching out to the developer, but may need to look for another app.
Developer Response ,
Subscriptions are managed by Apple's App Store. To view, cancel or manage them you should follow the directions offered by Apple. If starting a subscription isn't working for you, your have most likely issues accessing the App Store server and trying again later, helps. Please contact us, in case you hadn't done so already, to keep us in the loop and for further investigations. Thanks.
You Only get 14 day free trial with Annual Subscription
I would have paid for annual subscription if it came with the 30 trial period, as it states iin the app store.
Developer Response ,
Oh thank you for reporting this. The description in the app store will be changed to reflect the correct amount of free trial included.
- ProjectWizards GmbH
- 25.4 MB
OS X 10.11.6 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © ProjectWizards GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $3.99
- Annual Subscription $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.