Start your 7-day Free Trial or subscribe now in the app, through your iTunes account!
Met Opera on Demand delivers instant and unlimited streaming of more than 700 full-length Metropolitan Opera performances on your iPad & iPhone—and on your HDTV or connected sound system as well via Apple TV with AirPlay.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone app is free to download. Explore the app and the catalog, and enjoy a sampling of free preview content. Now you can sign-up for the 7-day Free Trial or purchase a subscription right inside the app for complete and unlimited access to everything available.
Highlights of this unparalleled collection of opera performances include:
• More than 120 presentations from every season of the Met’s award-winning "Live in HD" series of global movie-theater transmissions, featuring opera superstars Roberto Alagna, Natalie Dessay, Joyce DiDonato, Renée Fleming, Juan Diego Flórez, Elīna Garanča, Jonas Kaufmann, Anna Netrebko, Deborah Voigt, and many more
• Classic Met telecasts dating from 1977, including "Aida" starring Leontyne Price, "La Bohème" starring Luciano Pavarotti and Renata Scotto, and more
• More than 400 radio broadcast performances dating back to 1935, representing nearly all of the most popular operas ever composed and many of the greatest singers in Met history including Björling, Callas, Corelli, Horne, Nilsson, Sutherland, Tebaldi, Te Kanawa, and Tucker
All Met Opera on Demand videos include English subtitles, and many recent HD performances also include subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish, as well as English Closed Captions (CC.) Subscribers can use AirPlay to watch all videos with the full offering of multi-language subtitles on their TV via Apple TV. New operas are added every month. The app also offers a “Continue Watching and Listening” feature that allows you to stop at any time and resume right where you left off whenever you’re ready. You can bookmark your favorite performances for easy access at any time as well.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone App requires a Wi-Fi internet connection to stream videos and content availability is subject to change.
If you subscribe in the app:
Ratings and Reviews
Not buggy for me!
I tried the week trial on an iPad Pro and an Apple TV 4K. Everything worked fine. The content is Excellent after all this IS the Met. However there are several disappointments. The audio is only PCM stereo on the Apple TV 4K. NO Atmos audio or Dolby 5.1 Also NO 4K video. The subscription is pricey.
I have a AVR and full Atmos speaker setup connected to the Apple TV 4K. The Met app audio was mediocre compared to the competition like Carnegie+ which has Atmos and Dolby 5.1 audio and also many 4K Operas. Since the Met subscription is $15 and Carnegie+ is $8 I believe the Met sub is way overpriced… close but no cigar until the Met drops the price or gives out promo codes…. FWIW Carnegie+ is available as a Apple TV “channel” not as an app.
Amazing array of Content, but Terrible Customer Service
I am very unhappy with the amount of time and effort it took me to resolve an issue. It felt to me that MetOpera started from a position of not believing me despite repeated sending of proof that I had paid for the
subscription and my telling customer service that I had been using the app until just a few days ago without incident. Instead I had to make repeated calls to
apple which totalled roughly 1.5 hours of time and send repeated emails to MetOpera as well. Rather than thinking there may have been an issue on their end
(which indeed there was) instead they made me do all the legwork. Very frustrating experience and a big waste of my time.
Apple TV app is so broken!
I absolutely love the content but the Apple TV app is so buggy and broken! I have 2 different ATV remotes and the app doesn’t work reliably with either. These problems have been around for well over a year and still haven’t been fixed. These bugs seriously negatively impact the experience. Please fix these bugs and you’ll have a great app to go along with your great performances.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Metropolitan Opera Association, Inc.
- 69.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2021 The Metropolitan Opera
- In-App Purchases
- Met Opera on Demand $14.99
- Met Opera on Demand $149.99