Start your 7-day Free Trial or subscribe now in the app, through your iTunes account!
Met Opera on Demand delivers instant and unlimited streaming of more than 850 full-length Metropolitan Opera performances on your iPad & iPhone—and on your HDTV or connected sound system as well via Apple TV with AirPlay.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone app is free to download. Explore the app and the catalog, and enjoy a sampling of free preview content. Now you can sign-up for the 7-day Free Trial or purchase a subscription right inside the app for complete and unlimited access to everything available.
Highlights of this unparalleled collection of opera performances include:
• More than 180 presentations from every season of the Met’s award-winning "Live in HD" series of global movie-theater transmissions, featuring opera superstars Roberto Alagna, Natalie Dessay, Joyce DiDonato, Renée Fleming, Juan Diego Flórez, Elīna Garanča, Jonas Kaufmann, Anna Netrebko, Deborah Voigt, and many more
• Classic Met telecasts dating from 1977, including "Aida" starring Leontyne Price, "La Bohème" starring Luciano Pavarotti and Renata Scotto, and more
• More than 600 radio broadcast performances dating back to 1935, representing nearly all of the most popular operas ever composed and many of the greatest singers in Met history including Björling, Callas, Corelli, Horne, Nilsson, Sutherland, Tebaldi, Te Kanawa, and Tucker
All Met Opera on Demand videos include English subtitles, and many recent HD performances also include subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish, as well as English Closed Captions (CC.) Videos released 2022 and later will also include Audio Description (AD). Subscribers can use AirPlay to watch all videos with the full offering of multi-language subtitles on their TV via Apple TV. New operas are added every month. The app also offers a “Continue Watching and Listening” feature that allows you to stop at any time and resume right where you left off whenever you’re ready. You can bookmark your favorite performances for easy access at any time as well.
If you subscribe in the app:
Ratings and Reviews
New Version is Terrible
What happened? Why would you downgrade the app? Now it can’t be used in landscape orientation on iPad (the only way I use it and the best way to watch content), all my favorites are missing, all prior watch history is gone… I don’t understand why this would be done with no prior warning. I pay a lot for this service, and I expect better.
App has gone downhill
I used to love watching operas on this app. It was seamless to watch an opera, easy to continue watching an opera that I had not yet finished, and the quality was wonderful. Now my continue watching queue is wiped out and if I have to stop in the middle of an opera, when I go back to the video (after having to search for it again), it doesn’t pick up where I’ve left off. The worst quality is that the app stops at the end of each track so I have to keep hitting play throughout the opera. The app works fine on my Roku and it seems to be okay on my laptop (when I watch through the met opera website); however, on my iPhone it is a mess. I don’t know what the developer did, or what they were trying to achieve, but they have ruined this app. It is such a shame since the content that is available is priceless. What isn’t priceless is the $15 I pay a month for a now unusable app. Please go back to the old version. It was perfect.
As the title says, this app on the Apple TV is a hot mess for subscribing. I had to try at least 30 times before I finally was able to (apparently) sign up for the 7-day free trial (very generous /s) and billing thereafter.
Even though I got signed up, however, it didn’t unlock the app, so I never got access to the content. Instead, I spent further hours going around in a circle of it asking me to subscribe and then telling me I’d already subscribed. Despite multiple attempts I have not been able to see a single opera because the app thinks I’m not a subscriber.
There’s only so many times one can bang one’s head against a brick wall before giving up. I like the Met but will try the English Opera or some of the various other streaming options out there now, with confidence they will at least take my money and provide the promised access in return.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Metropolitan Opera Association, Inc.
- 77.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 11.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2023 The Metropolitan Opera
- In-App Purchases
- Met Opera on Demand $14.99
- Met Opera on Demand $149.99