Start your 7-day Free Trial or subscribe now in the app, through your iTunes account!
Met Opera on Demand delivers instant and unlimited streaming of more than 600 full-length Metropolitan Opera performances on your iPad & iPhone—and on your HDTV or connected sound system as well via Apple TV with AirPlay.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone app is free to download. Explore the app and the catalog, and enjoy a sampling of free preview content. Now you can sign-up for the 7-day Free Trial or purchase a subscription right inside the app for complete and unlimited access to everything available.
Highlights of this unparalleled collection of opera performances include:
• More than 100 presentations from every season of the Met’s award-winning "Live in HD" series of global movie-theater transmissions, featuring opera superstars Roberto Alagna, Natalie Dessay, Joyce DiDonato, Plácido Domingo, Renée Fleming, Juan Diego Flórez, Elīna Garanča, Jonas Kaufmann, Anna Netrebko, Deborah Voigt, and many more
• Classic Met telecasts dating from 1977, including "Aida" starring Leontyne Price, "La Bohème" starring Luciano Pavarotti and Renata Scotto, Jon Vickers as Otello, and more
• More than 400 radio broadcast performances dating back to 1935, representing nearly all of the most popular operas ever composed and many of the greatest singers in Met history including Björling, Callas, Corelli, Horne, Nilsson, Sutherland, Tebaldi, Te Kanawa, and Tucker
All Met Opera on Demand videos include English subtitles, and many recent HD performances also include subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish, as well as English Closed Captions (CC.) Subscribers can use AirPlay to watch all videos with the full offering of multi-language subtitles on their TV via Apple TV. New operas are added every month. The app also offers a “Continue Watching and Listening” feature that allows you to stop at any time and resume right where you left off whenever you’re ready. You can bookmark your favorite performances for easy access at any time as well.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone App requires a Wi-Fi internet connection to stream videos and content availability is subject to change.
If you subscribe in the app:
- GDPR Updates
- iPhone X
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good, but could improve
Every content owner wants to provide their own streaming service to cut out the middle man and collect all the profits, but delivering first-class software and infrastructure presents different challenges than content production. This app is not bad — they’ve fixed a number of issues I see in earlier reviews over the five years this app has been out. It would still be nice to use AirPlay on free previews (and return to them after leaving the app), and browse by artist. Also, like some other reviewers mention the sound quality could be better. I suspect it is being compressed too much, though the video quality is good.
I love Met, but this app is outdated
I go to met very very frequently and am absolutely charmed by Met recording’s video/sound quality.
However, here are a few suggestions to make this app a bit modern (maybe closer to the Deutsche Grammophon apps):
- allow offline contents please
- fix the subtitles (if you turn on the subtitles and leave the app playing in the background, the subtitles will not appear unless you go back to the homepage and re-enter the opera again)
- now, the dream - to make this app truly cutting-edge, the Met should offer viewers to switch between multiple angles. Sometimes the director’s cut may cause the users to lose sight of the breathtaking grandeur of the opera’s staging. The ability to switch between, wide angle and close-ups would be truly amazing.
- since for every opera the met has already prepared massive amounts of information on the program pamphlet, why not also provide them here on the app in addition to the just synopsis.
Keeps crashing please fix
I paused while watching one of the shows on my Fire TV and when I tried to play the show, the app crashed completely. Now it does not recognize my email address when I tried to sign in again. I even tried a different email but it kept saying the new email was invalid. I was basically forced to cancel my subscription. What a shame. The catalog of operas looked so promising, the quality of the shows was top notch but this app has too many flaws and bugs. I implore the developers to fix this issue. Judging by the many negative reviews here, some action/accountability needs to be taken. Many people share the same sentiment.
- Metropolitan Opera Association, Inc.
- 82 MB
Requires iOS 9.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- © 2019 The Metropolitan Opera
- In-App Purchases
- Met Opera on Demand $14.99
- Met Opera on Demand $149.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.