Start your 7-day Free Trial or subscribe now in the app, through your iTunes account!
Met Opera on Demand delivers instant and unlimited streaming of more than 700 full-length Metropolitan Opera performances on your iPad & iPhone—and on your HDTV or connected sound system as well via Apple TV with AirPlay.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone app is free to download. Explore the app and the catalog, and enjoy a sampling of free preview content. Now you can sign-up for the 7-day Free Trial or purchase a subscription right inside the app for complete and unlimited access to everything available.
Highlights of this unparalleled collection of opera performances include:
• More than 120 presentations from every season of the Met’s award-winning "Live in HD" series of global movie-theater transmissions, featuring opera superstars Roberto Alagna, Natalie Dessay, Joyce DiDonato, Renée Fleming, Juan Diego Flórez, Elīna Garanča, Jonas Kaufmann, Anna Netrebko, Deborah Voigt, and many more
• Classic Met telecasts dating from 1977, including "Aida" starring Leontyne Price, "La Bohème" starring Luciano Pavarotti and Renata Scotto, and more
• More than 400 radio broadcast performances dating back to 1935, representing nearly all of the most popular operas ever composed and many of the greatest singers in Met history including Björling, Callas, Corelli, Horne, Nilsson, Sutherland, Tebaldi, Te Kanawa, and Tucker
All Met Opera on Demand videos include English subtitles, and many recent HD performances also include subtitles in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish, as well as English Closed Captions (CC.) Subscribers can use AirPlay to watch all videos with the full offering of multi-language subtitles on their TV via Apple TV. New operas are added every month. The app also offers a “Continue Watching and Listening” feature that allows you to stop at any time and resume right where you left off whenever you’re ready. You can bookmark your favorite performances for easy access at any time as well.
The Met Opera on Demand iPad/iPhone App requires a Wi-Fi internet connection to stream videos and content availability is subject to change.
If you subscribe in the app:
Fix for display bug on 12in or larger iPad devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great great great
Requires good wifi bandwidth -- i.e. a cable internet connection through wifi; DSL is not enough. We subscribed to cable Internet just to use this app, and it works. The sample clips will show you whether your bandwidth is adequate.
The login facility is indeed clunky. I wonder how many phone calls the help desk gets to reset passwords.
The controls are a little irritating. Example: the user can add a favorite to the favorites list, but it is not the aria or track that is added, but the entire opera. That's no better than just knowing which operas you like. Wouldn't it be better to be able to watch and listen to all your favorite arias one after another?
Content: absolutely great. I should say more about how wonderful it is to have access to these recordings on the iPad, but I hope the prospective subscriber can imagine, or maybe has seen the HD screenings in theaters. The sample makes you want to sign up right away. Very worth the subscription prices, monthly or yearly.
Don't miss "The Audition."
Just needs a few things to be amazing.
Like a lot of others, I almost don't want to says anything negative because I really love that this exists and that the met provides such easy access to their archives. Still, it is far from perfect. As others have mentioned the fact that it does not remember your place can be a pain, especially when an accidental push of the home button means you have to start over and find your location. Luckily they break it down into chapters, but it's still something I'm used to in nearly every other app (even safari saves your place in the middle of a video if you change apps).
Perhaps the biggest complaint, though, is that the audio seems incredibly compressed. When a full chorus is singing it gets really tinny and kind of unbearable. I've listened to the same sections streamed through the met's website and the sound quality there is much better. I have a great connection (about 10mbps) so i'm pretty sure its not that, and the video always looks pretty good. You won't notice if you're listening through the iPad speaker, but plug in headphones and it can be distracting.
Actual airplay support (not just mirroring) would also be a plus, and would maybe convince me to get apple tv!
Anyway, I hope they improve it, because I love both the service and the level of quality that I find in all of the met's productions.
I love met operas and this app delivers full catalogue that is pure delight to watch. Unfortunately the app is very buggy and I hope developer is working on improving it to meet the quality of the content presented.
Few suggestions for upgrading the app:
- improve sound quality. At home I use very good sound equipment and it is obvious that the sound used in even HD streams is very compressed. Operas are ultimate sound test and I know how good opera can sound if you have the right equipment. Ideally you should provide an uncompressed sound for ultimate experience.
- please provide the ability to download streams and audio recordings for offline use. I like to stream audio recordings when I drive and every time my car goes through the poor or no signal area I have interruptions that I hate.
- improve the info and bio on the recordings and artists that you showcase. They deserve all the credit and currently are treated like sub notes on the otherwise excellent content
- allow us to ‘favorite’ recordings that we love and would like. I would like to have ‘My list’ feature prominently placed on the app home page.
- add 4k HDR content for newer recordings. 1080p is so outdated.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Metropolitan Opera Association, Inc.
- 69.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 The Metropolitan Opera
- In-App Purchases
- Met Opera on Demand $14.99
- Met Opera on Demand $149.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.