If you’re a musician, DJ, or music enthusiast, chances are you care deeply about your music. Meta helps with every aspect of managing a digital music collection, and saves you time when you rip vinyls or download music from third-party stores.
- Batch Editing of Tags & Cover-Art
- Batch Cover-Art Adjustments (scale, crop, compress)
- Batch String Transformations
- Batch Compose Track Numbers
- Find Tags & Hi-Quality Album Covers Online
- Find and Replace Text, Words, Regular Expressions
- Rename Files (based on tags)
- Create Directory Structures (based on tags)
- Extract Tags (from filenames, paths, other tags)
- Compose Tags (based on a pattern of text and other tags)
- Built-In File Management Tools (move to recent, preview, reveal, remove)
- Import/Export of Playlist
- Import/Export of Tags as CSV
- Talks to your preferred Music-library (iTunes, Music, Doppler…)
Broad Media Support
Meta supports all popular audio file formats such as:
- MP3 (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE)
- MP4, M4A, M4B, M4V (Atom)
- FLAC (Vorbis Comment)
- OGG, OGA, OPUS, SPEEX (Vorbis Comment)
- AIFF, WAV (ID3v2, RIFF-Info)
- DSF, DSDIFF (ID3v2)
Meta allows you to define tag-panel (sidebar) configurations: groups of tags you want to edit most often. Just pick which tags to display in each setting, and name it. You'll then be able to switch between each layout at will and edit the tags associated (ex: Publishing, Classical, Podcasts…).
Fast, Clean, Reliable
Meta is a native and robust macOS app powered by Taglib, a trusted and proven open-source tagging engine. Edits will be mostly instantaneous, and there will be no need for manual saving: what you see is what you get.
- New “Import Artworks” feature, allows to batch-fetch images according to a filename pattern
Enhancements & Fixes:
- The “Browse” artwork feature now points by default to the common parent of the currently selected files
- Find & Replace now offers to save specific searches, instead of offering recents
- Find & Replace now offers a button to re-launch a search
- Some “Title Case” rules have been refined
- Fixed a bug in “Track Numbering” where the counter would reset when album names are empty
Ratings and Reviews
I've been using Meta for tagging my files for a couple of years now, and wouldn't even consider another program. It does a great job with tagging and cover art. Then, last night out of the blue I discovered that I can use it to move files into a directory with my chosen folder format. I had no idea Meta could do that, and it's value to me personally just skyrocketed. Solid program, thanks for your hard work.
poor experience (but growing on me?)
Doesn't save any sort of state so every time you open, you have to navigate to your files and load metadata for all your files from scratch. This can take hours.
Crashes often, so then have to load all metadata from scratch, potentially costing you hours.
Automates virtually nothing. You will get no assistance from web databases of music like Musicbrainz, discogs, lastfm. You will have to manually edit all metadata with no assistance.
This app is probably ok if you just download or rip stuff and want to get it into itunes piecemeal, but is not great for managing a library you have no interest in putting into iTunes/Music.
UPDATE after more time giving the app a chance:
I may have been using it wrong or at least in a way it wasn't intended. It seems it is best used as a scalpel. In other words, don't load your full library into the app every time you launch, but rather go in and edit specific artists/albums. When I limit its use to manage a catalog of local music for my bluesound home audio system, it is much more manageable.
Still occasionally the app struggles to save metadata to files and often gets stuck forcing me to cancel and close/reopen.
With some stability improvements and future integrations of internet sources of info will possibly make this a 4 or 5 star app. Until then, it is just the best looking id3 tag editor, but not quite the best.
Developer Response ,
Hi! I would advise to update to macOS Big Sur, and Meta to v2.0.4 for overall stability and performance improvements. — Ben
Well designed app
I've been using Meta off an on for a few years. I had several hundred CDs that I imported into iTunes, but there was always something needing correction. Meta was perfect for this task, allowing me to change track name, album name, artist, cover art, etc. My only suggestion would be a change to the file naming process to have a token to allow automatic numbering of tracks, useful when combining double CDs. Other than that, perfect!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Benjamin Jaeger
- 9.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2022 Benjamin Jaeger
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.