Metatext is a free, modern, open source, and accessible Mastodon client.
- Multiple accounts: You can add multiple accounts and even use several accounts simultaneously with iPad multitasking.
- Emoji: Metatext has a searchable custom emoji picker and supports animated custom emoji.
- Timeline management: Metatext remembers your home timeline position and can load gaps in either direction
- Mastodon features: Metatext supports most Mastodon features including lists, profile directory, and syncing filters
- Accessibility: Metatext supports VoiceOver, Dynamic Type, dark mode, and motion reduction.
- Private: No tracking or any information shared with third parties.
What is Mastodon? It's the social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization. Check out joinmastodon.org for more info.
Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org for updates!
- Added Chinese (Hong Kong) and Ukrainian translations
- Updated translations for other languages
- Bug fixes
Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Ratings and Reviews
Very good app for Mastodon
I am very happy with this app as a Voiceover user. It’s functionality is excellent. Unlike the official Mastodon app, this app includes rotor actions that make using it much faster and easier. I have found only two bugs in the app with Voiceover. First, the “load more” button in the timeline view can’t be activated while using Voiceover. Second, when in your list of following or followers, you can’t activate entries to go to the person’s profile page after scrolling past the first few entries in the list. Neither bug is a huge deal though. The only thing that would be nice as an addition would be the ability to view the public timelines of instances you aren’t signed into. Thanks so much to the dev for making such a great and accessible app available for free.
Love this app, sadly…
I love MetaText so much, so much that I had to give it five stars. Unfortunately, the fact that there will no longer be updates is beginning to affect its functionality in a serious way, at least on my fairly large instance. In particular, I am no longer able to use it to search. If I need to search for anyone or anything, I have to use an alternate app or desktop. This is a fairly recent development. MetaText is so easy to use, I still use it anytime I want to post something on the go or just scroll through my feed or one of my lists. But it no longer fulfills ever need, sadly.
As I understand it, the developer had important, personal reasons for needing to leave it behind, so I certainly wish them the very best. I’ll probably keep MetaText until it no longer posts— I just like it that much.
Great app for Mastodon!
This is an excellent alternative to the official Mastodon app! I appreciate the account switching feature! Some features that are available on web version of Mastodon aren’t available in this app though. I’d like the ability to edit my posts and follow hashtags, those two features would make this app even better! I’ve also noticed sometimes the app lags a bit, like when feeds load for several seconds. This may be due to the number of hashtags I’m following, but thought I’d mention it anyway. Sometimes clicking on things (hashtags, profiles, etc.) has a short delay before loading the next page. Aside from all that, I still recommend this app! It’s served me very well so far!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Metabolist, LLC
- 32.8 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Basque, Catalan, Czech, French, Gaelic, German, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2021 Metabolist