MetroHero is the free DC Metrorail app you need AND the one you deserve, designed by commuters, for commuters. Unlike other popular apps like Transit and Citymapper, and even local apps like 'DC Metro and Bus' and 'DC Metro Transit', we crunch all of our own numbers, meaning that we provide lots of information that you can't find anywhere else.
MetroHero lets you see the position of every Metrorail train in real time, giving you the clearest picture of the current state of the entire DC Metro system. See dynamic estimates of exactly how long it will take you to reach your destination given current delays, track work, and even single-tracking. Harness the power of live crowdsourcing to see and report problems at stations and on individual trains. And you can forget about empty station boards and endless streams of 'DLY'— if there's a train ANYWHERE on the tracks, we'll tell you where it is.
Here are just some of the ways MetroHero will revolutionize your Metrorail commute:
* COMMUTE TRACKING: Input your morning and evening trips to and from work to see next train times, travel time estimates, elevator/escalator outages, active MetroAlerts and recent tweets—all in real time and as soon as you start the app—without having to tap anything.
* LIVE LINE MAPS: Pick a line and watch trains move through stations in either direction in real time.
* LIVE GOOGLE MAP: Watch trains travel through the entire rail system in real time.
* DETAILED STATION INFO: Tap any station to see extended arrival times for trains in both directions, plus any elevator/escalator outages, active MetroAlerts, and recent tweets.
* DETAILED TRAIN INFO: How delayed is that train? How long has it been holding at that station? How fast is it going? Tap on it to find out.
* CROWDSOURCED REPORTS: Help other MetroHero users avoid headaches (or give them a heads-up when things are going right) by tagging stations and trains.
* AUTOMATIC UPDATES: No need to swipe to refresh what you see; it's always up-to-date.
* OPTIONAL NERD STUFF: View detailed stats about the entire rail system for each line and direction—including headways, schedule adherence, and other neat metrics—in real time or as trends over time, all from your phone.
And best of all, all of our curated data is available for free for data wonks and app developers alike! Visit www.dcmetrohero.com/api for more information.
(Still have questions? Check out our FAQ at www.dcmetrohero.com/faq)
* Offline Mode! Start the app once with an Internet connection, and you won't need one to start it ever again. Useful for accessing the app's offline features, like the static Metrorail System Map, while in an underground Metro station or train tunnel. Online-only features will become available automatically as soon as an Internet connection is acquired.
* Better visuals for the latest Apple devices.
* Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is genuinely a lifesaver, and on the rare occasion I haven’t had access to it but have been on Metro, I’ve missed it a lot. I deal with a lot of anxiety about public transportation, and WMATA (with is malfunctioning trains, arcing insulators, track fires, single tracking, and random speed limitations) seems to aim to validate my anxiety as much as possible. MetroHero honestly brings me so much relief—even when I can’t control the other factors, at least I know that the next train is headed to my destination, has 8 cars, and is 1 minute away but moving slowly! It allows the illusion of control and certainty while dealing with a terribly inconsistent and uncontrollable system. I also love that you can report on the conditions of the cars/stations—believe me, when it’s 90 degrees and 70% humidity out, it’s good to have a heads-up that that train has malfunctioning AC!
So glad you guys are finally on the App Store!
Best WMATA app!
I’ve been using this app for a few years and it only gets better. I love having the ability to see if the train approaching. This is especially helpful because of how time is reported by WMATA. When is the Apple Watch app coming out?!!!!! Please tell us it’s coming.
THE DC Metro App
I’ve used CityMapper, Transit, Moovit, the official DC metro app, etc etc I’ve tried them all. This is by far and away the best app for the DC Metro.
Yes, this sounds like a review by someone who was paid.
No, I wasn’t.
This app has legitimately been a godsend many times and that’s why I’m so enthusiastic about it.
It’s accurate, reliable, and in the rare instance that there’s a bug the developers have been quick to make fixes.
The ability to quickly see what’s being tweeted about the metro and where is awesome, as are the live maps.
Stop reading this review and just download the app now.
- James Pizzurro
- 7.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2018 Hodgepig Productions
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.