Microsoft Translator is a free, personal translation app for more than 70 languages, to translate text, voice, conversations, camera photos and screenshots. You can even download languages for offline translation for free to use when you travel!
• Text translation into over 70 languages*, for online and offline use
• Camera translation to translate text within photos and screenshots
• Voice translation to translate speech, and a split-screen mode for two participants having a bilingual conversation
• Multi-person conversation translation - connect your devices and have in-person conversations with up to 100 people across multiple languages
• Phrasebooks for verified translations and pronunciation guides to help you learn important phrases in foreign languages when you travel
• Look up alternate translations and meanings of a word to find the best translation to express yourself
• Download languages for offline use for when you travel without an internet connection
• Hear your translated phrase out loud to help you learn how to say the translation
• View transliterations (pronunciation guides) to help you pronounce the translation (includes Pinyin support for Chinese)
• Share your translations with other apps
• Pin and save your most frequent translations for later
• Translate websites on Safari using the Microsoft Translator browser extension
• Speak to your Apple watch to get an instant translation
• Automatically sync translations between your phone and Apple watch
Translator supports the following languages: Afrikaans, Arabic, Bangla, Bosnian (Latin), Bulgarian, Cantonese (Traditional), Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Fijian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong Daw, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kiswahili, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malagasy, Malay, Maltese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Quer'etaro Otomi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tahitian, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, and Yucatec Maya.
Microsoft Translator is powered by cutting-edge technology used by Office, Bing, Skype, Internet Explorer as well as by partners such as Twitter, Yelp, eBay, WeChat and more.
*Some features are not available in all languages.
// Request for User Permissions //
1. View Network access
To detect whether the device is on Wi-Fi, mobile data, or not connected to a network. This helps the app know whether it should translate while online, or use an offline language pack.
2. Network access
For access to Wi-Fi or mobile data to perform text or speech translations, and download offline language packs.
To take pictures for image translations, and to scan QR codes when joining a conversation.
To translate speech.
To open photos from the device for image translation.
To open photos from the device for image translation, and to save downloaded offline language packs.
Bug fixes and general improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Quality app should charge for it.
I use it to find characters left out of the 2nd addition Collins while translating the other…. Well I will keep that to my self… though it all started with a Websters for 7 dollars ever English speaking person should buy and start at “letter” the problem with the binding in the 2 simpler books is an issue I may need to buy them twice. This app can do much more than the two books. But I enjoy the ancient characters considering the keyboard can distinguish them better. The knew characters are PC but the old characters are better at guiding. This program recognizes both and uses a slightly different font to help recognition of characters one may find on on the street as a business owners personal touch.
One time I was looking up characters in mandarin to see how it was said they surprised me with a addition to it that only a teacher would say.
The attributes of one’s hand weighting may account for the inability to compute a translation for my personal righting but the “cost accountant” probably said hold on that.
Probably not the fairest review...
I just got this ten minutes ago, but I want to say how good it is. I also got another translator where most features are paid for by subscription (which I probably won’t do because I don’t travel), but this Microsoft app is totally free and no ads or in app purchases, including the camera scan option!! I can’t say much else because I just got it, but from what I’ve seen, it’s terrific. And I previously had another app that also had limited translations and so on...
The thing I find annoying (and yet I understand) is the Monthly part of subscriptions. I’m fine to pay just once like seven dollars or whatever, but the fact that it costs monthly (even when you don’t use it and its hard to unsubscribe) is what makes me avoid it. At the same time I get it, they got to make money to improve translation. I would if I used it more... but this one is fine because its free and Microsoft can and does afford it. If they can’t you could switch to Google but I don’t like it as much...
Better than Google Translator
I moved to Switzerland and I used to use google translator for everything since it had image translation feature that came very handy when in restaurants, or in streets. However, after using Microsoft translator, I never went back to Google app. First off, MS translator does much better job of pronouncing the words or a phrase by slowing it down for each retry. Secondly, when translating through image capture, it puts the words in the original image. Google and other translators bunch them all up in an unformatted paragraph which make it unclear where a sentence ends or starts. Very nice work by MS. The only improvement I would recommend is to have the landscape feature work. Currently, everything must be in portrait.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Microsoft Corporation
- 138.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.