Update : The App performance has been significantly improved & there are also a ton of other features which have been added. Check out the “What’s new” section for more details!!
Microsoft Whiteboard provides a freeform intelligent canvas where individuals & teams alike can ideate, create, and collaborate visually via the cloud. Designed for touch, type & pen, it lets you write or draw as smoothly as you would with ink, you can even type in text, add sticky notes or notes grid to express your ideas & use reactions to visually communicate your thoughts. It enhances teamwork by allowing all team members to edit the canvas in real time, no matter where they are. Get started quickly by inserting a pre-built template or draw your own flowchart using our expansive shapes library. No matter what your use case, we have the right set of tools for you and all your work stays safe in the cloud, ready to be picked back up from another location or device.
-- Create freely, work naturally –
Microsoft Whiteboard provides an infinite canvas where imagination has room to grow: draw, type, add a sticky note or a notes grid, move them around – it’s all possible. The touch-first, pen-first interface frees your ideas from the keyboard, and the intelligent inking technology transforms your doodles into great-looking shapes and lines that can be copied, pasted and combined with other objects. Moreover, you can also, ink on your sticky notes & text boxes and magically see the ink get converted to text using Apple Scribble functionality (on iPads with Apple Pencil).
--Collaborate in real time, wherever you are—
Microsoft Whiteboard brings every member of a team together working from their own devices across the globe. On the Whiteboard canvas, you can also see what your teammates are doing in real time and start collaborating on the same area. It’s about getting everyone on the same page – or board.
--Save automatically, resume seamlessly –
Forget having to take photos of your whiteboards, or marking them with “Do Not Erase.” With Microsoft Whiteboard, your brainstorming sessions are saved automatically to the Microsoft cloud, so you can pick up where you left off, whenever – and wherever – inspiration strikes next.
• Improved App Performance & Reduction in crashes which has been a strong customer ask.
• Modern look and feel:
1. Streamlined user experience - an unobtrusive app UI maximizes your canvas space.
2. Creation gallery - a highly discoverable, simple way of finding and using objects and features in the application.
• Interactive content features:
3. 40+ customizable templates – get started quickly and collaborate, brainstorm, and ideate with brand new templates.
4. Shapes & Lines - Choose from an expansive library of shapes & lines to visually collaborate & ideate with your team members
5. Reactions - provide lightweight, contextual feedback with a set of fun reactions.
• Inking features:
6. Apple Scribble – Ink on text boxes & sticky notes and see your ink strokes magically convert to text (on iPads with Apple pencil)
7. Ink arrows – smoothly draw single and double-sided arrows using ink to better facilitate diagramming.
Bug fixes and performance improvement.
Ratings and Reviews
Good for a free app, could be better.
First up, I have not tried all the bells and whistles of the app.
The way I use it is, I start a call in Zoom/Teams, do share screen and then switch to this app to teach my students. The interaction is one way as in I can write on the screen while they cannot but it does not matter as most of them do the call from a desktop/laptop and in a traditional class the students do not write on the blackboard.
I wish Microsoft would add this app as a feature on Microsoft Teams, that way the app switching will not be necessary and it would be possible to move beyond the paradigm of traditional class. Another wish is to have dark mode with appropriately colored pens as having a white screen for a couple of hours can get a touch tiring.
Missing Basic Tools
This app has a great opportunity to be a great teaching, office work, and most importantly work from home tool! But there are things that you could call creature comforts that in this day and age should be included as a base app support. I’m talking Apple Pencil (1st and 2nd gen) support, left handed support (please please please as a left handed user its very hard to write/draw when it detects input from my hand as I’m trying to write), and I think smarter selection support should be included.
For Apple Pencil support, you have the basic drawing support, but for Gen 2 pencils it lacks double tap on the pencil’s flat side to change to a previous tool or eraser tool which would be awesome to have.
Left handed support is a basic need. Add it as a setting to toggle on and implement. Otherwise you just infuriate people like myself who are left handed and can’t draw or write without jumping around on the screen or leaving random lines about.
On apps like Notability, selection is very easy, you just draw around an object, if you just get part of a line/photo/box etc it is considered selected. Here you have to get the entire object to select it which is fine, but is a tad bit annoying and makes you have to go slow to get everything included you want to select. Maybe have the option for both and include it as a setting to toggle on/off.
Fix this issues to make a flow less experience
1. I just installed this app on my windows and iphone and i could say I absolutely love it but there are some issues which i prefer to be fix as soon as possible such as:
1.if you wish to select something with lasso you need to take all the object at once but in some apps you could just make a quick circle around a little part of object and it will considered as selected.
2. I really need to change the aspects of sticky notes instead of just keeping it as a big or little square like if I need to make a mind node , i prefer to put a little rectangular
3. I’m Persian so I really wish to see language support (I mean when im using to write at both languages ENG & PER in one line it will be a total mess!!)
4. And some new extra features such as changing the color of your shapes which you just draw , giving some of the shapes a fixed separate background color instead of highlighting it)
5. And please add left hand support , please please please remove stacking highlights!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Microsoft Corporation
- 39.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbek, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Microsoft Corporation