MIDI Sketch turns your iPad and iPhone into a music sketchpad. Quickly and easily compose melodies, chord progressions and drum patterns. It works with your favorite synths and music apps that can receive MIDI input. Once you are done, export the sketch as a MIDI file.
IMPORTANT: Please review the MIDI Sketch description carefully before making the purchase. The app itself does not produce any sound. It sends MIDI note messages to Core MIDI compatible apps and devices. Additionally, it doesn't have MIDI record functionality.
• Three simple note editing modes: pencil, edit and velocity
• Precisely edit a note's position and length on the timeline by zooming in to its exact location
• Select and edit multiple notes at the same time
• Cut, Copy, Paste, Select All and Delete actions are supported
• Velocity Mode: Select notes and drag your finger vertically to adjust their velocities
• Transpose an entire sketch by +/-24 semitones
• Adjust the grid’s vertical and horizontal zooms independently
• Import/export MIDI files*
• Supports the iOS document browser
• Change the app that MIDI Sketch controls by configuring MIDI Output
• Bluetooth MIDI support: Advertise or Discover
• Adjustable tempo and sketch length
• Can be used in any orientation on iPhone and supports iPad multitasking
* If a MIDI file consists of multiple tracks they will be imported as separate sketches.
• Fix sketches not opening on iOS 14.
• Fix crash when MIDI Bluetooth menu is accessed.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
No sound, this app is ridiculous. Should have read the reviews.
I should have read the reviews...it’s ridiculous this app does not at least play a simple sound so you know how your notes sound.
Developer Response ,
I tried to make it as clear as possible in the app description that the app itself doesn’t produce any sounds, and that it simply sends MIDI messages to the other CoreMIDI compatible apps. So, it can be hooked up with whatever synth or instrument app you run on your iOS device in background audio mode.
APP DOES NOT OUTPUT AUDIO
This app does not output audio on my device (brand new iPhone 5s), thought it would be cool but it is totally disappointing and pointless because you can't hear the notes you're typing. Might as well just use a program like GarageBand that has the same interface w midi notes except it has multiple instruments as this app FALSELY INSINUATES to have. Would not buy again if I had a 1,000,000 iTunes gift card
Lightweight, powerful MIDI Editor
I don't understand some of the negative reviews for this app. This is a not a synthesizer; it does not make sound. It's a powerful MIDI editor in a 1MB file size app. Yes, the piano roll grid can be a little tricky at first to figure out. But all the functionality is there. It does polyphonic notes. It does copy/paste, and group transposition. Zoom in and touch the left side of notes to move the note, or the right side of it to lengthen/shorten.
But the killer feature of this app is the ability to open raw MIDI files (thousands of which are all over the internet, or you can create your own with other programs), and then allow you to edit them, re-export as MIDI files, OR control other apps in real-time using Virtual or CoreMIDI (for hardware).
Despite the simplistic interface, the app has worked great for me. Some caveats - "Open in" only imports 32 measures right now. This is clearly indicated in the app description, but I hope to see it increase. Also, the app only controls one MIDI track at a time. I do not believe you can control multiple apps using different MIDI "channels". But for what the app does, it is phenomenal. Hope to see continued work on the app, as it will be used on all my devices.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Nikolozi Pty Ltd
- 994.3 KB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019-2020 Nikolozi Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.