"Get into a book like never before: Metabook brings multimedia interaction to reading." -CNN
"Buckle your seat belts, bibliophiles! The new app from Metabook that's now available exclusively in Apple's App Store doesn't revisit 'Midnight' so much as reinvent it." -The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"A unique, all-encompassing experience." (AUDIOFILE EARPHONES AWARD WINNER) -AudioFile Magazine
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Metabook™ for iPad and iPhone allows you to experience John Berendt's true crime classic—which spent a record-breaking 216 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list—like never before.
Filled with exclusive content, stunning visuals, and immersive media, the inaugural release from Metabook™ brings Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to life for the book's longtime fans and first-time readers alike.
- Original text of the book
- Audio dramatization of the book starring Dylan Baker (audiobook narrator of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson), Laverne Cox (Orange is the New Black), Barbara Rosenblat (Orange is the New Black), Dion Graham (Madam Secretary) and a highly acclaimed cast, led by audiobook director Robin Miles
- A new profile of the author John Berendt
- Simulated 3D rendering of the iconic Bird Girl statue
- Cast of characters and character updates
- Images and anecdotes of the book's now-famous people and places
- 360° virtual panorama of "The Garden of Good and Evil"
- E-postcards from Savannah's Bonaventure Cemetery
- Architectural Digest spread of Mercer House, the lavish scene of the crime
- Crime scene photos with new commentary by John Berendt
- Never-before-heard audio recordings of Jim Williams, the story's infamous central figure
- Exclusive interviews with John Berendt and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Alfred Uhry (Driving Miss Daisy), who is adapting Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for the stage
- Original music
- Social media sharing
- User-friendly navigation
- Beautiful, intuitive interface
and much more.
Metabook™ is the new patent-pending reading experience for the 21st Century. John Berendt's record-setting bestseller, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, is the debut Metabook™ title. Future titles will be original works of fiction and non-fiction, including new books by #1 New York Times bestselling authors that seamlessly integrate exclusive content from Grammy®, Emmy®, Tony®, and Academy Award® caliber talent.
About Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Published in 1994, John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is one of the most beloved books of all time and was a finalist for the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction. A New York Times bestseller for 216 weeks, it remains the Times's longest-running hardcover fiction or nonfiction bestseller. It has sold more than five million copies worldwide, and in 1997 was made into a feature film directed by Clint Eastwood.
About John Berendt
In addition to writing the #1 New York Times bestseller Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, John Berendt is the author of The City of Falling Angels, also a #1 New York Times bestseller, and a children’s book, My Baby Blue Jays. He has been the editor of New York magazine and a columnist for Esquire.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Usability improvements and minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Well done app!
I was impressed with this app. There is A LOT of additional content, but none of it felt like filler. It was very well curated and it all ended up contributing to my enjoyment of this book, which I had heard of but never read before. But I'm glad I did, it's a great book!
Cool eBook experience that's worth it -- finally
I love the premise behind this whole thing -- an ebook should bring more to the reading experience. Or at the very least, reading an ebook should be different from just reading the text of a printed book on a screen. It has always bugged me that ebooks often don't even have a lousy author photo, much less anything "outside of the box" of a traditional reading experience.
This "metabook" delivers. I have always loved Midnight in the Garden, and I think it makes a good subject for the metabook treatment. The audio work is lovely, especially. I really like the whole "creepy in a good way" vibe of the app.
I also appreciated the fact that this app freshened up a book that's been around a while. I'd like to see what this app would do with some of the classics.
So glad I got this app! There are so many amazing details....from the very "entrance" to the narrative itself...presented in such a creative, new way! I really enjoyed discovering the many extras, like the Authors' profile, the cast of characters, and most especially, the 3D imaging! Everything is intuitive and easily navigated. The visual and audio effects really pulled me into the world of the book in such a dramatic way. I am so excited to have found this! I love it all!.... the green glow, the mysterious audio segues between sections, the choice of "Midnight music", and definitely the "Where are they now?" section, bringing the story full circle.
The developer, Metabook Inc., has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Metabook Inc.
- 704.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Metabook Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.