MilGPS is an MGRS/USNG focused premium navigation tool trusted by soldiers, search and rescue personnel and other professional navigators around the world. View your current location and navigate to a waypoint in seconds. Or plan and organize your navigation using the powerful and intuitive mapping and overlay capabilities.
Display your current location in real time
- Cell phone signal not required but will make location fixes faster (maps require a data connection)
- Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) & United States National Grid (USNG) (4, 6 8 10 figure grid references supported)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
- Latitude/Longitude (degrees, degrees and minutes, degrees minutes seconds supported)
- Ordnance Survey National Grid (grid and easting/northing in metres)
- Military date time groups for local/zulu time
- All info is displayed in large, clear text for easy viewing at all times
- Location and navigate screens are fully customisable - choose what info you want to see
- Wide variety of datums supported including WGS84, NAD27, OSGB36, AGD66, ED50
- Define up to 3 combinations of datum and location format for location display and waypoint entry
Create and navigate to waypoints
- Unlimited waypoints (upper limit dependent on device storage and memory)
- Enter waypoints from current location, map or using any of the above supported location formats.
- Live update of distance/bearing as you enter coordinates (sanity check your grids)
- Waypoints are fully editable, and can be sorted by distance or name
- "Quick goto" feature for quickly entering grids and navigating to them - accepts shortened MGRS grids.
- Receive an arrival indication as you approach your waypoint
- Import and export waypoints via the standard GPX file format (routes and tracks not currently supported)
- View current location and waypoints on map, complete with custom smooth scrolling grid overlay (MGRS/USNG/OSNG/UTM)
- Choice of Apple or Google maps.
- Display user-supplied offline maps in raster MBTiles format.
- Use the crosshairs to position new waypoints and measure distances/bearings
- Choose from standard/satellite/hybrid/blank map type
- Grid overlay with labels for grid zones, 100km, 10km, 1km, 100m squares
- Map can be set to follow your current location and/or heading.
- Simple, intuitive interface.
- Convert between location formats easily using the add waypoint screen
- Supports degrees/mils for angle, with choice of true, magnetic or grid north reference.
- Supports feet/metres for altitude
- Supports imperial/metric/nautical units for distance
Why choose MilGPS over other apps?
- MilGPS is under active development and testing (since 2010)
- MilGPS is painstakingly crafted by an independent developer
- MilGPS emphasises accuracy, simplicity, ease of use and stability
Things that aren't in the app (yet):
- track recording
- route planning
- online mapping sources other than Apple and Google maps
App Store Privacy Information Note
NOTE: Mapping function requires a data connection. Using GPS will shorten battery life.
YOUR USE OF MILGPS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
MilGPS is an aid to navigation only and is intended to be used in conjunction with other navigation methods and tools.
MilGPS must not be used where relying on MilGPS could result in death, injury or financial loss. This includes use on military operations, live-firing activities, aviation and surveying use.
MilGPS is not tested to military specifications and is not endorsed by the military of any nation. MilGPS is not a substitute for military issue equipment.
Your use of MilGPS is governed by the standard App Store Licensed Application End User License Agreement.
Fixed a bug where customised screens would only show distances in default units.
Ratings and Reviews
Initial Impressions: Excellent
Compared to the two GPS apps that I have used often (LandNav and Spyglass), MilGPS immidietly seems superior and best suited for my military training purposes. Readout is HUGE and responsive and I will probably stick with the default look. Maps come up quickly and it was easy to customize (Apple/Google are adequete, but more map choices would be great).
Design layout could be slightly improved by having more intuitive button placements (e.g., Edit Screen is hiding in the Share menu, and cancel button was hard to find on one screen), and maybe a bug: Navigate → Share → Choose Destination Waypoint took me to Overlays (I'm probably missing something).
Ideally, I would like a mini-app to quickly send an 8-digit grid to the clipboard and close, since I share locations often—every step out in the field counts. For my purposes, MilGPS makes sharing an 8-step process (i.e., Open → Share → Share Current Location → Message → Tap x2 in message field → Select All → Isolate MGRS grid → Tap ⌫). MilGPSs is more intuitive than LandNav, but it would be nice to simply 3D touch a readout and send custom data to the clipboard. Future updates perhaps?
Not sure why it took me so long to find this in the App Store. Downloaded USNG first, and then found MilGPS via 'Also by This Developer' in the sidebar.
Kudos to all those who helped develop this app, good job!
Good for military or other uses
This map has a good layout that doesn’t take too long to figure out. It allows you to utilize “overlays” which means you can create permanent overlays that you can always leave on or you can create a new overlay for a training exercise and then turn it off when your done and remove the points. The pay version isn’t expensive a d if you’re going to use it a lot then I would highly recommend paying for it.
Additionally they have multiple shapes and colors you can use to make points unique and you can further specialize them by naming them and adding descriptions.
A cool feature I didn’t realize existed was that you can send overlays you’ve created to people with the map. This means if you’re going into a new training area then someone can send you their overlays or you can help someone out and do the same.
Overall it’s well designed, easy to use and you can get pretty specific with points. There’s also a moveable scale so you can figure out the exact distance and direction between 2 points. Overall I love the app and use it every time I go into the field.
Some features I wouldn’t mind seeing are:
- lines to connect points so that you could construct boundaries. I would use this to form the boundaries of training areas and impact areas.
- the ability to change the direction of the ruler from degrees to Mils.
Excellent Nav App
Awesome app and awesome developer. I only had one issue with the app- and that was when zooming in or out, the map had a tendency to twist- but after a few emails with the developer explaining what I was talking about, he updated it with an option to lock orientation north. Super useful!
Actually, as I type this is thought of another issue. When you tap the icon to center on your location and follow you, it automatically zooms in. It would be nice if there was an option to leave the map at the same zoom level that it’s currently out but still be centered on, and follow, your icon. Sometimes I want to be centered on my own icon but don’t want to be zoomed in super close.
But other than that it’s a great app. I use it every day at work.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
- 29.5 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.