miRack is a Eurorack-style modular synthesizer. It aims to provide user experience and audio quality close to those of the real Eurorack hardware.
The app comes with almost 500 modules created by third-party developers and adapted for mobile devices by miRack team. New modules are added regularly.
miRack can work with Audiobus and IAA hosts for post-processing and recording, and supports Core MIDI input and simple background audio mode.
Newer devices are recommended for better performance. Modules may vary greatly in CPU usage, the size of the patch your device is able run will depend on the modules used.
This is the biggest miRack update yet!
* NYSTHI - a collection of 100+ modules. Advanced samplers and recorders, oscillators, effects, utilities and a scope - modules for every need, many of which have visual design you won't find anywhere else.
* Geodesics - unique modules loosely inspired by astronomic events and physical theories. "The goal is just to see how science can inspire us to create new music."
* Turning Machine by Stellare Modular - a random looping sequencer, based on the amazing Music Thing's Turing Machine Eurorack module by Tom Whitwell.
* 13 new MSM modules - many of them add interesting new outputs, parameters and modes to standard modules.
* Notes (found in the end of Basics list) - add short notes to a patch. It's resizable so can also be used as a spacer between other modules.
* cf PLAY and PLAYER samplers - these are simple modules when you don't need advanced functionality.
* Added virtual MIDI port option to MIDI modules to simplify MIDI routing into miRack.
* Added indication when a module is being or ready to be moved, e.g. after touching and holding for long enough.
* More predictable module moving, smoother zooming, and other improvements to touch handling.
* Improved rendering of module lights (borders, antialiasing).
* Reorganised items in module menus to reduce vertical space they take and to prevent destructive items to be touched accidentally.
* Module menus (and context menus for module components that provide them) can be shown with double tap in addition to two-finger touch.
* Fixed parameter value smoothing (when adjusting knobs), removes audio artefacts in some cases when adjusting knobs.
* Fixed Delete menu item missing for "placeholder" modules (when VCV Rack patches are opened and some modules are not available in miRack).
* Fixed wrong module sometimes being added to the rack after double tapping empty space in module browser.
Ratings and Reviews
Modular Playground on IOS!
MiRack is just a terrific modular experience on the IPad! For example, the Mutable Instruments clones sound fantastic and are simply a delight to mess around with. Modular synthesis can have a steep learning curve, but thanks to numerous VCV Rack tutorials on the internet you can get up to speed fairly quickly on how to make patches.
I hope this app continues to receive support as it really sounds and feels like your working with real modular gear in ways other apps just can not match. Moog Model 15 is outstanding but it is not even a quarter as flexible in routing and sound design as MiRack. The control voltage routing options alone are almost limitless. Honestly, MiRack could easily be used to teach a full year course on electronic music if one desired to do so. It is that authentic and true to real modular hardware.
Needs AU3 support, IAA or Audiobus like yesterday. Would love additional modules like Plateau (lush reverb) to be added. Even reasonably priced modules for purchase would be a fantastic way to always upgrade the app. As is, it is easily a 5 star app that can take you places only $10,000 worth of gear or more could take you previously. Kudos to the developers for bringing VCV Rack to IOS!
A must have! Best money I have spent on the Apple store!
First off; seriously? If you haven’t bought this yet then I urge you to take the few bucks it cost (cheaper than 1 patch bay cable) and invest into this app, and developer! ONLY THING I don’t like about this app is the ICON! This app is so cool, I hope someone help fix that!
If you have Audulus 3 or Model 15, and are able to create or generate some sound, then this will be right up your alley!
I can not believe all the modules that are already included in this beast! The best part is, it’s Open-Source that means there is a community of folks building new modules, this thing could be unstoppable. This is the new wave creation! Music making in the 21st century, borrowing 20th century concepts! This is what the iPad was made for! I pray for good health and good fortune to these developers! Thank you mifkl Limited awesome work!
Honestly I can’t imagine this app not becoming an “Editors Choice” and making at least the #3 best apps of 2019, if not the #1 Best App of ‘19
exactly what i've been waiting for!
I'm not one to write reviews, however I'm compeled. I absolutely love this app. Finally a way to engage with the rack that I actually dig. Mirack feels so natural on an ipad with an apple pencil! I've had it for over a month and there's rarely a day that I don't tweak a patch, work on a sequence, or experiemnet down infinete rabbit holes. Midi mapping is a breeze and just adds a level of fun and control. Now that it is AUM compatible, I literally have no gripes(so rare lol)! Updates; including more module packs and more additional functions, have been far more frequent than I expected. Kudos for days..
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.