Mirror for Chromecast 4+
Cast your screen to TV!
If you are on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), please allow Screen Recording in System Preferences / Security & Privacy. For assistance, please contact our 24/7 support engineers.
Application to mirror the screen and audio of your Mac to a Chromecast 1, 2 or Ultra. You can also stream individual video files from your Mac to your TV. Also, we included the option to watch one window on your Mac, and another window on your TV!
When using this app with a Chromecast 1, the Screen Mirroring will start about 30 seconds after you start mirroring, please wait during this startup time. Chromecast 2 and Ultra are much faster to start.
In using the app, there will be a about 2 to 3 seconds of latency (lag). So this mirroring is not suitable for gaming.
However, it is very suitable for watching movies, giving presentations, watching photos, and much more!
The quality of your experience will be dependent on the quality of your local network. Some tips to enhance the experience:
1. Restart your router. Just take out the power plug, wait 10 seconds and put it back in. This resets your router and will make your home network faster and more stable. Why this works? Routers are in essence little computers, with software. Software will have small memory leaks and some processes will stop working correctly over time. That’s why it is a good idea to reset your router once in a while. Our recommendation: once a week.
2. Don’t do network intense work while screen mirroring. As explained, screen mirroring is network intense. For the best performance, don’t do other network intense work at the same time. This includes making timemachine backups over the network and uploading/downloading large files from the internet while screen mirroring.
3. Put your Mac and your Chromecast on the same router channel. Some routers (dual band) have create both a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wireless network. For the best performance, put your Mac and your TV on the same network. Preferably the 5Ghz network. But definitely not the Mac on 5Ghz and the TV on 2.4Ghz, because that will negatively impact the performance of screen mirroring.
4. Use an AC or N router. Newer routers support Wifi AC and N. Older routers might only have Wifi B and/or G. B and G are not really up to scratch anymore for modern networking tasks, so go for an AC or N router. If your router supports AC and N, also make sure that your router is set to use either the Wifi N or Wifi AC networking.
How the app works:
First, make sure that your Chromecast is on the same local network and same subnet as your Mac. After launching the app, you will see the app icon appearing in the top bar of your Mac and the app will look for your Chromecast on the network. It will show your Chromecast when it has found it. Now, you have two options:
Mirror your Mac Screen:
Use this option to put the screen of your Mac on TV. In source, you can select which screen (or attached monitor) you want to display on TV. If you are running multiple applications on your Mac, you can also select which application window you want to see on TV.
Enable Sound: check this to hear the sound of your Mac coming from the TV. You will need the additional (free) audio driver, which you can download here: http://bit.ly/MirrorAudio
Play Video File:
Use this option if you have a video file on your Mac and you want to play just the file on TV. Drop it in the box and it will play on TV.
Settings (the icon in the bottom right of the app): click here to request support from our 24/7 support staff. They usually respond within 2 hours on any query that you might have. If your question is technical, please also include the diagnostics information.
Limitations: Apple has HDCP DRM protection for playing iTunes movies. This means that screen mirroring is not possible when watching movies from iTunes.
When you like the app, please don't forget to give it a positive rating! Thanks in advance from the AirBeamTV development team!
Please give us feedback by mailing to email@example.com
- Bugfixes and Stability Improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Horrible lag time
I didn’t expect much - and was still disappointed.
I simply wanted to scroll through some vacation photos to show them on a large-screen TV, but the app has a lag time of 3 to 6 seconds between actions on the laptop and results on the Chromecast-fed TV.
This made timing my clicks through each photo (some photos I wanted to show for a half a second, others for 5-10 seconds while I narrated) extremely difficult.
Additionally, when I played video from Apple’s Photos app, the playback was lower-resolution than what’s seen on my MacBook Pro (and much lower than my HD TV is capable of), and in some cases the frame rate actually seemed to drop.
Chromecasting from a normal Chromecast-enabled web browser - which is much more complicated than this - is a lot smoother than this app. Calling it “Mirror” is exceptionally misleading.
I’m ranking it 3 stars because I’m slightly sympathetic (I work in software development), this is only the second version, and I assume the development team will spend every penny of the $9.99 purchases they get over the next few months on upgrading the software so it’s more responsive. If I were your typical dissatisfied consumer, I’d give it 1 star and demand my money be refunded.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you for your informative review. We are constantly performing an R&D work and hope to be able to improve the experience over time.
I can understand the issues other users have with lag between device and TV, but for me I just wanted to stream from my AppleTV account on my Mac and the latency doesn't matter. Unfortunately, Apple blacks out the screen on the AppleTV if it’s being casted so this app doesn’t help me with screen morroring. That said. I love it and for all other OTT streaming it works great!
Took me some time to fine tune the system, but with the excellent help from the company support team,now i am enjoing the product.
They help me to solve the problem with professionalism
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- AirBeamTV BV
- 11.9 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2020 AirBeamTV BV
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.