Application to mirror the screen and audio of your Mac to a Roku Streaming Player, Roku Streaming Stick or Roku TV (from Hisense, TCL, Insignia and Sharp).
You can also stream individual video files from your Mac to your Roku. Also, we included the option to watch one window on your Mac, and another window on your Roku!
In using the app, there will be a about 2 to 3 seconds of latency (lag). So this mirroring is not suitable for gaming.
However, it is very suitable for watching movies, giving presentations, watching photos, and much more!
The quality of your experience will be dependent on the quality of your local network. Some tips to enhance the experience:
1. Restart your router. Just take out the power plug, wait 10 seconds and put it back in. This resets your router and will make your home network faster and more stable. Why this works? Routers are in essence little computers, with software. Software will have small memory leaks and some processes will stop working correctly over time. That’s why it is a good idea to reset your router once in a while. Our recommendation: once a week.
2. Don’t do network intense work while screen mirroring. As explained, screen mirroring is network intense. For the best performance, don’t do other network intense work at the same time. This includes making timemachine backups over the network and uploading/downloading large files from the internet while screen mirroring.
3. Put your Mac and your Roku on the same router channel. Some routers (dual band) have create both a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wireless network. For the best performance, put your Mac and your TV on the same network. Preferably the 5Ghz network. But definitely not the Mac on 5Ghz and the TV on 2.4Ghz, because that will negatively impact the performance of screen mirroring.
4. Use an AC or N router. Newer routers support Wifi AC and N. Older routers might only have Wifi B and/or G. B and G are not really up to scratch anymore for modern networking tasks, so go for an AC or N router. If your router supports AC and N, also make sure that your router is set to use either the Wifi N or Wifi AC networking.
How the app works:
First, make sure that your Roku is on the same local network and same subnet as your Mac. After launching the app, you will see the app icon appearing in the top bar of your Mac and the app will look for your Roku on the network. It will show your Roku when it has found it. Now, you have two options:
Mirror your Mac Screen:
Use this option to put the screen of your Mac on TV. In source, you can select which screen (or attached monitor) you want to display on TV. If you are running multiple applications on your Mac, you can also select which application window you want to see on TV.
Enable Sound: check this to hear the sound of your Mac coming from the TV. You will need the additional (free) audio driver, which you can download here: http://bit.ly/MirrorAudio
Play Video File:
Use this option if you have a video file on your Mac and you want to play just the file on TV. Drop it in the box and it will play on TV.
Settings (the icon in the bottom right of the app): click here to request support from our 24/7 support staff. They usually respond within 2 hours on any query that you might have. If your question is technical, please also include the diagnostics information.
Limitations: Apple has HDCP DRM protection for playing iTunes movies. This means that screen mirroring is not possible when watching movies from iTunes.
When you like the app, please don't forget to give it a positive rating! Thanks in advance from the AirBeamTV development team!
Please give us feedback by mailing to email@example.com
- Fixed a bug for playing video files on your TV
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good App, Hoping It Gets Better
Got this app with the intention of mirroring my computer screen to watch movies and for that, it’s (almost) great! The lag time of 1-3 seconds is very real so for any real time use it’s a no go at the moment. Besides that I’ve noticed that it can sometimes have trouble connecting and leaves me on a buffer screen for a few seconds causing a less than enjoyable viewing experience. This buffering sometimes ends in the app shutting down from my tv. I see a lot of potential for this app if they can get that lag time down and the connection gets a bit stronger. (I would also say the connection might be my crummy internet provider or the tv, but just giving my experience with the app.)
If you want this app for basic video or audio playback it’s a great purchase!
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the kind words. Its reviews as these that keeps us motivated to come together as a team and work towards improving the product. As for the delay, we are working towards reducing it to almost real time. We will soon reach out to you with the good news. For now, keep enjoying the app! :)
Great Little App!
We’ve tried various hardware methods to mirror my laptop to our television, but most of them tied me down close to the TV. With Mirror for Roku, I can sit where I can clearly see the television while mirroring my screen. This has come in quite handy for our homeschool humanities discussions (computer notes are much easier to share with everyone than taking pictures of the whiteboard and sending them out) and for working on French and logic with my daughters. Instead of crowding around a computer screen, we’re able to be more comfortable and we can all see clearly. It also includes audio, which is much easier to hear from our television’s speakers than from my computer speaker (essential for learning to speak another language!).
It’s not perfect (nothing in this life is), but it does the job we need it to do and at a much lower cost than hardware solutions.
Saved me from regret
When I purchased my Roku, I did so with the assumption that mirroring my Mac screen was going to be one of the things it just did. I was disappointed to find out it didn’t, almost to the point of wanting to return and buy something else. But I did a little research and found this app. Once you also download the audio drivers to be able to stream audio through the tv, this app is a Godsend. I watched an entire movie last night via the Starz site on my TV, which I’ve never been able to do before, and it was crystal clear in video and audio quality. The slight lag between computer and TV display could be a little annoying if you were trying to use it to give a presentation or something, but the fact is it works perfectly for what I need it for, and i couldn’t be happier!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.