Moonlight Mahjong is Mahjong Solitaire in virtual reality 3D, designed specifically for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Intuitive touch control allows you to tilt and turn, zoom in and out to match tiles in 3D. Play “arcade style” with progressively difficult levels and high scores, or relax with one of the non-competitive game modes. The gameplay is simple yet addictive.
Moonlight Mahjong features four main types of play:
• Scramble Mode: Match tiles faster than the automated opponent "Tilebot" through increasingly difficult levels. The board is automatically reshuffled when you run out of matches, making this game mode easy to start and fun, yet challenging on the higher levels.
• Challenge Mode: Compete against Tilebot in full puzzle mode, with no automatic reshuffling, only undo. Challenge requires more strategy than Scramble. This is the ‘pure’ form of the game, but it is difficult!
• Puzzle Mode: Solve puzzle boards with no time limit. Choose any layouts you like. This is the original game mode, what people usually think of as Mahjong Solitaire.
• Relaxation Mode: Clear boards with no time limit and automatic reshuffling when out of matches. Perfect for when you're just not in the mood to strategize or rush.
Feel free to download the free Lite version with ads, or purchase the paid version without ads. They are the same game; the paid version has a few additional features.
Moonlight Mahjong is the original 3D Mahjong Solitaire on iOS, having debuted with the launch of the App Store in 2008. It has been honored as a "Best Board Game" on the App Store, and was in the original Best 100 Apps and Games on iLounge.com.
For layout updates and news, "like" Moonlight Mahjong on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MoonlightMahjong
- Fixed a problem that might slow down the game while sounds are playing.
- Minor fixes to support for iOS 13 and later.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has ruined all other Mahjong games for me
I love, love, love this app! I’ve been playing it for years and I love the scramble mode, (something I have yet to see in any other app). What minor issues I’ve had have been resolved with each update. I’ve tried other Mahjong apps just to switch things up, but always end up deleting them and coming back to this one. And it’s free with no ads! One feature I would like to see in the future is some way to mark specific layouts as favorites so they come up more often in scramble mode. Some of my favorite, more challenging layouts don’t come up often enough. Thank you for this app!
Great game but...
So it's a year after my review below, and the speed problem is both better AND worse. The super speedy robot opponent doesn't play all as often as it used to, BUT when it does, you, human, have no chance. 50 or 60 pieces in the game at the start, and as soon as you've made your very first play, the robot finishes the game. That's not fun! BAH! Is anybody listening???? 😡
As other reviewers have stated, this is a fun game. The change to losing only one level if you don't win was a good one, BUT the random speed of the tilebot, often ridiculously excessive, can be pretty frustrating. On a recent game, I completed about four or five moves with perhaps 40 tiles still on the board, when that &@""!#% tilebot won. Perhaps there should be more consistency in the speed of the 'bot, AND the user could select a max speed on a slider from 0 to 100.
Fun game but...
First this complaint: tell me the nickname is taken BEFORE I write the review. It disappears, and you have to start all over again. The game is terrific. Very enjoyable. However, I agree with those who have complained about the speed of the tile bot in the updated version. Some of the layouts that I could almost always win before are virtually impossible to get now. I enjoy a challenge, but not an unreasonable one. The more layouts that seem to be impossible to beat, the less likely that people will play the game.
Update: still playing this game, but not as much as before the latest update. The speed of the tile bot is still unreasonably fast. Sometimes the tilebot's tiles seem to disappear in an instant, even if you're close to winning. Very frustrating.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Michael Howard
- 47.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2008 Michael R. Howard
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.