Designed for video editors, Motion is a powerful motion graphics tool that makes it easy to create cinematic 2D and 3D titles, fluid transitions, and realistic effects in real time.
2D and 3D Titles
• Import 360° media and design 360° titles, generators, and effects
• Build 3D titles from scratch, design them with easy-to-use templates, or instantly convert any existing 2D title to 3D
• Easily create beautiful titles that you can animate using more than 100 drag-and-drop behaviors and intuitive text animation tools
• Customize 3D titles to create endless looks with over 90 Apple-designed 3D materials including metal, wood, and stone surfaces
Motion Graphics for Final Cut Pro
• Save any title, effect, transition or generator and access it directly in Final Cut Pro
• Customize Final Cut Pro titles, effects, and transitions by opening them in Motion
• Create Motion Templates with any combination of single parameters and rigs, that let you control a group of parameters with a slider, pop-up menu, or checkbox in Final Cut Pro
• Use Display Aspect Ratio snapshots to create templates that support multiple aspect ratios
• Choose from more than 230 behaviors for natural animation without keyframes
• Use advanced color grading filters like the color wheels, color curves and hue/saturation curves
• Create an accurate chroma key in a single step with the Keying filter
• Create your own paintbrushes and 3D strokes or use one of 140 brush presets
• Design your own particle emitters or choose from 200 presets for real-world effects like smoke and sparkles
• Use professional masking tools to quickly draw and adjust control points for rotoscoping
• Use the intuitive keyframe tools for precise control of the timing of your animation
• Add the Tiny Planet filter when adding 360º video to a non-360° project to create amazing effects
• Harness an ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins for tasks like advanced tracking, advanced motion graphics, and more
• Transition from 2D to 3D space by adding cameras
• Create 3D scenes within a 360° project for ultra-realistic 360° environments
• Set up realistic shadows that animate dynamically with the movement of cameras and lights
• Turn any shape, video plane, or paint stroke into a reflective surface in 3D space
• Import third party USDZ objects or use one of 60 premade objects in the Motion Library
Breakthrough Speed, Quality, and Output
• Import wide color HDR images, view them on supported Mac computers, and export in standard Rec. 709 or wide Rec. 2020 color space
• Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon
• Export projects in multiple formats in the background using Compressor Bundles
System Requirements: 10.15.6 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing), Metal-capable graphics card, 1GB of VRAM recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing, 4.7GB of available disk space (3.5GB app, 1.2GB supplemental content).
Some features require Internet access; fees may apply.
• Includes stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Little talked about but absoluty great app!
I use Motion constantly in conjunction with FCPX and the two are extremely powerful together! If you are using FCPX without Motion I highly recommend purchasing it and learning it because it will open up a new world of motion graphics and effects. I love the ability to create templates and effects in Motion and use them right inside of FCPX. Everyone talks about After Effects but, other than 3D camera tracking and the puppet tool, there really isn’t anything I can’t do in Motion that I could in After Effects. In fact, I can do many thing in Motion that require expencive plug-ins to acheive in After Effects. Not to mention Motion is much faster to use and provides far better real time playback.
To the Motion team, Keep up the great work!
It's a useful and well-thought-out piece of software, and the price won't kill you. If it wasn't made by Apple, it could be perfect. But Apple doesn't bother to perfect anything. Instead, they just make software to sell hardware. As such, each iteration of Motion is buggy as hell, and requires constant updating to new versions, which require new OSes. It breaks down like this: Every few updates requires updating to a new OS. And every few OSes, require a whole new machine to run it on. Because the software isn't what they're laser-focused on, Motion often isn't exactly reliable. At this writing, in fact, the spinning bach ball is up and I'll have to do a hard quit and restart — losing whatever progress I've made since the last save.
This software can be used to do amazing things. Just know that the $49 price tag is a canard. It will cost you much more in money, and also in time making sure you have the exact same machine running the exact same version on the exact same OS everywhere you work. Personally, I would pay $700 for this software if I didn't have to play these update games.
Great app, but hangs after simple tasks
RIght after I bought motion, I loved it. It is really simple and easy to use. PLus there is alot of support for the app. My only problem with it is that on my iMac11,1 the app is constantly hanging and locks up unless you relaunch it. This mainly happens with audio analyzing. It says it finished analysing the audio then I press play to see if it worked. 8 out of 10 times motion will just freeze. I have sent apple many crash reports to Apple and i would love if they could fix all the problems people are having with motion freezing, crashing, or hanging.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 2.3 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.