Designed for video editors, Motion is a powerful motion graphics tool that makes it easy to create cinematic 2D and 3D titles, fluid transitions, and realistic effects in real time.
2D and 3D Titles
• Import 360° media and design 360° titles, generators, and effects
• Build 3D titles from scratch, design them with easy-to-use templates, or instantly convert any existing 2D title to 3D
• Easily create beautiful titles that you can animate using more than 100 drag-and-drop behaviors and intuitive text animation tools
• Customize 3D titles to create endless looks with over 90 Apple-designed 3D materials including metal, wood, and stone surfaces
Motion Graphics for Final Cut Pro
• Save any title, effect, transition or generator and access it directly in Final Cut Pro
• Customize Final Cut Pro titles, effects, and transitions by opening them in Motion
• Create Motion Templates with any combination of single parameters and rigs, that let you control a group of parameters with a slider, pop-up menu, or checkbox in Final Cut Pro
• Use Display Aspect Ratio snapshots to create templates that support multiple aspect ratios
• Choose from more than 230 behaviors for natural animation without keyframes
• Create an accurate chroma key in a single step with the Keying filter
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone (requires macOS Monterey or later)
• Design your own particle emitters or choose from 200 presets for real-world effects like smoke and sparkles
• Use professional masking tools to quickly draw and adjust control points for rotoscoping
• Automatically detect, track, and match the movement of faces or objects using machine learning
• Choose between different tracking analysis types
• Add the Neon filter to easily add a neon glow to text, shapes, video, stills, and more
• Harness an ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins for tasks like advanced tracking, advanced motion graphics, and more
• Transition from 2D to 3D space by adding cameras
• Create 3D scenes within a 360° project for ultra-realistic 360° environments
• Set up realistic shadows that animate dynamically with the movement of cameras and lights
• Turn any shape, video plane, or paint stroke into a reflective surface in 3D space
• Import third party USDZ objects or use one of 60 premade objects in the Motion Library
Breakthrough Speed, Quality, and Output
• Import wide color HDR images, view them on supported Mac computers, and export in standard Rec. 709 or wide Rec. 2020 color space
• Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon
• Unrivaled performance with optimizations for the M2 Pro, M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips
System Requirements: macOS 13.5 or later, 8GB of RAM (16GB recommended for third-party effects and plug-ins), Metal-capable graphics card (Intel-based Mac computers only), 4.7GB of available disk space.
Some features require internet access; fees may apply.
Motion 5.7 includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:
• See improved results when using the Object Tracker’s all-new machine-learning model to analyze the movement of faces and other objects on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
• Title template backgrounds are now disabled by default.
• Fixes an issue that caused FxPlug-based plug-ins to stop responding when you cancel an analysis.
Ratings and Reviews
It's been my professional workhorse
This is an amazingly capable and FAST app that allows me to tackle professional motion graphcs projects much faster and smoother than with After Effects. Although AE has more features, you can do 80% or more of what AE does in Motion in a fraction of the time. Thankfully, a few of the gaps in Motion's featureset have been filled in by vendors like MotionVFX for things like 3D tracking and the Puppet tool. I can't say enough good things about how much time this app has saved me, and it is by no means just a consumer app. I have delivered 100s of professional projects using Motion. If you do motion graphics and visual effects, you should defintely give this app a try. You'll save huge amounts of time on up to 80% of your typical motion graphics work tasks.
It's a useful and well-thought-out piece of software, and the price won't kill you. If it wasn't made by Apple, it could be perfect. But Apple doesn't bother to perfect anything. Instead, they just make software to sell hardware. As such, each iteration of Motion is buggy as hell, and requires constant updating to new versions, which require new OSes. It breaks down like this: Every few updates requires updating to a new OS. And every few OSes, require a whole new machine to run it on. Because the software isn't what they're laser-focused on, Motion often isn't exactly reliable. At this writing, in fact, the spinning bach ball is up and I'll have to do a hard quit and restart — losing whatever progress I've made since the last save.
This software can be used to do amazing things. Just know that the $49 price tag is a canard. It will cost you much more in money, and also in time making sure you have the exact same machine running the exact same version on the exact same OS everywhere you work. Personally, I would pay $700 for this software if I didn't have to play these update games.
Incredible adobe-free app I wish I knew about years ago!
Motion is still a new program for me but I have been using Adobe for over 10 years and wanted a way out for many of those years. This is my go to now for motion design, for me it was the perfect replacement for After Effects. I still cannot believe this program has been around so long an I only just found out about it. Perfect add-on for Final Cut Pro too if you wanted to try your hands at motion design.
The BEST part: NO SUBSCRIPTION!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 2.4 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 13.5 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2023
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.