Designed for video editors, Motion is a powerful motion graphics tool that makes it easy to create cinematic 2D and 3D titles, fluid transitions, and realistic effects in real time.
2D and 3D Titles
• Import 360° media and design 360° titles, generators, and effects
• Build 3D titles from scratch, design them with easy-to-use templates, or instantly convert any existing 2D title to 3D
• Easily create beautiful titles that you can animate using more than 100 drag-and-drop behaviors and intuitive text animation tools
• Customize 3D titles to create endless looks with over 90 Apple-designed 3D materials including various metal, wood, and stone surfaces
• Vector-based characters scale, skew, and rotate with pristine sharpness, while the modern engine in Motion lets you design in real-time
Motion Graphics for Final Cut Pro
• Save any title, effect, transition or generator and access it directly in Final Cut Pro
• Customize Final Cut Pro titles, effects, and transitions by opening them in Motion
• Create Smart Motion Templates with any combination of single parameters and rigs, which let you control a group of parameters with a simple slider, pop-up menu, or checkbox in Final Cut Pro
• Save any 360° motion graphic and access it immediately from the effects browser in Final Cut Pro
• Choose from more than 230 behaviors for natural-looking motion without keyframes
• Use advanced color grading filters like the color wheels, color curves and hue/saturation curves
• Track a moving object in a video clip with the point tracking and match move feature
• Create an accurate chroma key in a single step with the Keying filter
• Use SmoothCam to eliminate camera jitters and image stabilization to smooth bumpy shots
• Create your own paintbrushes and 3D strokes or use one of 140 brush presets
• Design your own particle emitters or choose from 200 presets for real-world effects such as smoke and sparkles
• Choose a circle or rectangle mask or use the bezier and freehand mask tools to quickly draw and adjust control points for rotoscoping
• Use the intuitive keyframe tools in Motion for precise control of the timing and position in your animation
• Apply 360° effects including blurs, glows, and more
• Add the Tiny Planet filter when adding 360º video to a non-360° project to create interesting spherical looks
• Harness a thriving ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces for tasks like advanced tracking, advanced motion graphics, and more
• Transition from 2D to 3D space by adding cameras
• Create 3D scenes within a 360° project for ultra-realistic 360° environments
• Set up realistic shadows that animate dynamically with the movement of cameras and lights
• Track objects or groups of objects with drag-and-drop ease by applying the Camera Framing behavior
• Selectively define focus as an object moves in 3D space
• Turn any shape, video plane, or paint stroke into a reflective surface in 3D space
Breakthrough Speed, Quality, and Output
• Import wide color HDR images, view them on supported Mac computers, and export in standard Rec. 709 or wide Rec. 2020 color space
• Export standard or 360° projects to Apple devices and publish directly to YouTube and Vimeo
• Send to Compressor to access advanced options for custom encoding like HEVC
System Requirements: macOS 10.14.6 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing), Metal-capable graphics card, 1GB of VRAM recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing, 4.7GB of available disk space (3.5GB app, 1.2GB supplemental content).
Some features require Internet access; fees may apply. Video output to VR headset requires Mac computer with discrete graphics running macOS Mojave. 27-inch iMac with Radeon Pro 580 graphics or better recommended.
• Fixes an issue in which the HUD would not appear when using the Grow/Shrink behavior
• Fixes an issue in which the Color Space Override menu option was not available when working in Wide Gamut HDR
• Fixes an issue in which 3D text with transparency could display artifacts
• Prevents an issue that could lead to visual artifacts appearing onscreen for systems with Nvidia graphic cards that have the Reduce Transparency accessibility preference enabled
• Improves stability when sharing
• Improves reliability when entering Korean text
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
It's a useful and well-thought-out piece of software, and the price won't kill you. If it wasn't made by Apple, it could be perfect. But Apple doesn't bother to perfect anything. Instead, they just make software to sell hardware. As such, each iteration of Motion is buggy as hell, and requires constant updating to new versions, which require new OSes. It breaks down like this: Every few updates requires updating to a new OS. And every few OSes, require a whole new machine to run it on. Because the software isn't what they're laser-focused on, Motion often isn't exactly reliable. At this writing, in fact, the spinning bach ball is up and I'll have to do a hard quit and restart — losing whatever progress I've made since the last save.
This software can be used to do amazing things. Just know that the $49 price tag is a canard. It will cost you much more in money, and also in time making sure you have the exact same machine running the exact same version on the exact same OS everywhere you work. Personally, I would pay $700 for this software if I didn't have to play these update games.
Little talked about but absoluty great app!
I use Motion constantly in conjunction with FCPX and the two are extremely powerful together! If you are using FCPX without Motion I highly recommend purchasing it and learning it because it will open up a new world of motion graphics and effects. I love the ability to create templates and effects in Motion and use them right inside of FCPX. Everyone talks about After Effects but, other than 3D camera tracking and the puppet tool, there really isn’t anything I can’t do in Motion that I could in After Effects. In fact, I can do many thing in Motion that require expencive plug-ins to acheive in After Effects. Not to mention Motion is much faster to use and provides far better real time playback.
To the Motion team, Keep up the great work!
Great app, but hangs after simple tasks
RIght after I bought motion, I loved it. It is really simple and easy to use. PLus there is alot of support for the app. My only problem with it is that on my iMac11,1 the app is constantly hanging and locks up unless you relaunch it. This mainly happens with audio analyzing. It says it finished analysing the audio then I press play to see if it worked. 8 out of 10 times motion will just freeze. I have sent apple many crash reports to Apple and i would love if they could fix all the problems people are having with motion freezing, crashing, or hanging.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.