Mountain Hub is a community-fueled app that helps you discover and share valuable information in the outdoors. Join thousands of outdoor professionals and enthusiasts across the globe in a diverse community spanning hiking, trail running, mountain biking, camping, backpacking, skiing, snowboarding, climbing, mountaineering, and more. Get updates about current conditions and adventures from outdoor enthusiasts like you. Enhance your outdoor experience with useful tools like maps and route tracking. Share your knowledge and experience with our passionate outdoor community. Save a variety of maps for offline use when you’re in the backcountry.
TRACKING BUILT FOR ADVENTURE
- Record and access an interactive journal of your experiences for any outdoor activity. Easily share your adventures with your family, friends, and community to any social platform such as Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- Capture the story of your adventures through automatically geo-tagged photos and interactive 3D flyovers.
- Visualize your elevation profile during your track, in real-time.
- Discover adventures from other people around the world and find inspiration for your next experience.
POWERFUL MAP TOOLS
- View any track on Mountain Hub in 3D to aid in route planning and discovery. Seamlessly interact with 3D routes at any angle or zoom level to visualize where you have been or are about to go.
- Select from a variety of high quality mapping base layers, including worldwide topo and aerial maps.
- Use digital terrain overlays of slope, angle, and aspect to enhance your understanding of terrain and how it affects your decision-making.
- Download maps and conditions before heading off-grid to plan your adventures.
- See local trails in your area that are crowdsourced and updated every day.
CROWDSOURCED CONDITIONS NEAR YOU
- Don’t rely on outdated guidebooks and forums alone. See the most recent conditions in your area and be more prepared to tackle your adventures today.
- View interactive trip reports in your area or anywhere via the map-based feed.
OBSERVATIONS FOR SCIENCE
- Make a difference, each time you share. You can record observations to help scientists understand more about snow and other conditions.
You can view our terms and conditions at:
- Continued use of cellular data or GPS tracking can dramatically decrease battery life. Mountain Hub strongly recommends that you carry a backup battery pack as your phone is an important safety device during outdoor adventures, and/or configure your device to now allow Mountain Hub to share GPS when you are not actively using it or recording an observation.
* Accuracy bug fixed when creating new observations
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app, room for improvement.
Love this app as it provides free topo map downloads for the backcountry (USGS Natmap is my favorite). I would give it 5 stars if it had some better integration with the web application (eg sycing saved map areas between computer and iPhone). Also, download maps is very cumbersome, so it would be great to see a more intuitive map download interface. Personally, I could care less about the social media aspect (that’s what Strava is for). All I want from this app is downloadable topos.
Overall, excellent app and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a free backcountry navigational tool!
Going down hill
I first heard about mountainHub, then Avatech, in 2015 from my avalanche one instructor. At the time the pc version was a fantastic resources for mapping out hikes and ski tours and get great overview of the kind of elevation gain, distance and time it would take. On top of that depending on the area you could also get an idea of the snowpack stability via others posted observations. The introduction of the mobile app promised even greater accessibility to these resources as well as a fast more accurate means of posting data to the community.
Sadly there was a decision to try and change from there roots to a social media platform in which people would post about their adventures. The pc version became far less useful and the mapping/planning capabilities of the mobile app decreased. On top of this it was pretty clear relatively few people were using it which further decreased its usability in researching snowpack stabilities.
At this point this app is losing usefulness in a seemingly irreversible way due to continued loss of key features and a lack of other users.
Fun and useful
This app really hits the nail on the head for me. I love to track my adventures but I don’t really need to compare my speed to other people. Instead mountain hub is a great way to help other adventure seekers by sharing real time relevant conditions and routes.
It’s really cool that I can open the app and see recent activities nearby, as well as a variety of cool adventures from around the world.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Contact Info
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mountain Hub, Inc.
- 95.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © University of Alaska Fairbanks
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.