Movie Explorer scans all your internal, external and network drives for digital movie files like MKV, M4V, AVI and MP4 and saves them in an attractive movie catalog for off line browsing, searching, tracking, sharing and more.
Get started quickly
• Add movie files by indexing your local drives and network shares
• Movie Explorer matches your digital cinema movie files automatically with movie titles using metadata provided by TMDb
Find and play what you like
• Find movies using the search box, or one of the many sidebar filters
• Search for an actor or director and find all other movies you own with this actor or director
• Play movies using the default media player
• Or use any other media player, using the ‘Play with’ feature
Explore for more
• The special Info view shows you all movie metadata, actors and more in a separate window
• Enjoy original poster art work and high res movie stills using the Gallery view feature
• Open directly the related IMDb page for a movie, show, actor or crew member
• Files view shows you important details like video format, bit rate, audio channels and more
Upgrade to Movie Explorer Pro, with a PRO subscription
• Add Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD and DVD discs by scanning their barcodes, using the built-in FaceTime camera
• Or simply add your discs by using an external USB barcode scanner
• Import your iTunes or Apple TV library
• Catalog your TV show files and discs, and manage them using the special TV Shows view
• We offer monthly and yearly Movie Explorer PRO subscriptions
• You can try Movie Explorer Pro by using the free 14-Day Trial
• The trial is fully functional and ends automatically
Track what you’re watching [PRO upgrade]
• Mark movies and episodes as watched, or unwatched
• Use global filters to show only unwatched, watched or Watchlist items
• Rate and review movies and episodes, and filter on your own ratings
• Add movies and episodes to the Watchlist for easy access
• Automatic update of the Watchlist when you set an episode to Watched
• Sync Watched, Paused and Watchlist status with Trakt.tv
Define your own filters and lists [PRO upgrade]
• Add your own custom filters to the sidebar, using Queries
• With a Query, you can interactively define your own selection, using multiple criteria
• Use Lists to make your own collections of movies, shows, actors, directors and more
• Queries and Lists can be separately exported to PDF, HTML and CSV
Share your collection [PRO upgrade]
• Export your complete collection, or a selection, to beautifully designed PDF or HTML files
• Or export your technical collection data to a CSV file, compatible with Excel and Numbers
• Share individual movies to Mail, Messages, Notes and any other supported standard share option
• Lend Blu-rays and DVD to friends, and keep track of what you've lent out, and to whom
State of the art
• 100% native macOS app using standard interaction controls
• Touch Bar support for all major views
• Full Dark Mode and Accent color support
• Keyboard friendly navigation and interaction
About PRO upgrade subscriptions
We offer monthly and annual subscriptions. Subscriptions will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew after unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. After cancelling a subscription, the app will continue as standard version with standard data when the current subscription period ends.
Support and feedback
If you need support with this app, please visit the online documentation and support pages, or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in contact with the developer. Please send your comments, ideas, tips, suggestions, complains or compliments to email@example.com. Thank you!
• Compatibility fixes for macOS 11 Big Sur.
• Fixes incorrect parsing of barcodes with an unexpected length.
• Resolves an issue with missing character and season name metadata.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
REALLY GREAT Software, Disappointing Greed
This software is really phenomenol at what it does. Well thought out and nice user interface. Huge problem is that they want to charge you monthly or yearly to use the software. This is not a service! It's software. Let the consumer buy the software and use it, not charge them a rolling & continuous fee to use it. No thanks.
UPDATE: After response from the developer, I misunderstood the options in the "In-app Purchases" Menu. It appeared that the only options were a free 14 day trial, or monthly or annual subscriptions. Those options are for the PRO version only. The stand alone version without the pro features is actuall free to use and really good software.
Developer Response ,
Your review contains 2 statements that are simply not true. 1) If you don't like the subscription model in order to use the Pro features, you can also opt for the standalone 'Movie Explorer Pro' app which is a one time purchase. 2) The main part of the app is FREE to use. This includes cataloging movie files and all related views like Cast, Crew, Studios and Files, but also the Info Panel, Gallery View and more. Most users don't need more.
Great Free App
This App does everything it says it will do, and it does it well. The movies are layed out beautifully and it pulls all the correct information about 95% of the time including HD artwork (and it's pretty painless to fix the few mistakes). I also like that you can get info on each movie and search for additional movies in your collection with the same actors/actresses/etc. Also, you can choose different artwork for the movie if you want.
What would push me towards buying the Pro version is the abilty to sort my movies by a name of my choosing (kind of like Plex does). Right now movies like the Planet of The Apes Trilogy and Star Wars and Jurrasic Park/World are spread throughout the app. I want the ability to be able to have a 'sort name' or something to that effect that would let me just label them Star Wars 1, 2, 3 etc. so they'd be layed out next to each other and in order while still actually displaying the official movie names on the app browser itself.
Does exactly what the avid movie watcher with internet and a VPN would want from an organizer app. I wish I used this years ago. I would have ended up watch a lot more films rather than leaving them unwatched after forgetting what they are and why I downloaded in the first place.
Stellar app. One of my top finds this year. I purchased the TV upgrade because price was more than fair for this exceptional app which is free if you don’t want the TV functionality.
As you can probably tell I’m very happy !!
- Ron Elemans
- 10.5 MB
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- © 2014 - 2020 Betamagic
- In-App Purchases
- TV Shows Add-on $7.99
- 14-day Trial
- Monthly Pro Subscription $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.