Movist is an easy-to-use and powerful movie player. You can choose either the QuickTime or FFmpeg decoder for each video codec and reopen with other decoders instantly. Movist supports many useful features to enjoy movies including H.264, H.265/HEVC hardware video decoder acceleration, digital audio out (S/PDIF), high-quality subtitles, a convenient & beautiful user interface and more.
Just Enjoy Movies with Movist.
• Single Window Mode or Multiple Document Mode.
• App Sandbox supported.
• Retina Display supported.
• HDR Tone Mapping
• Various File Formats supported.
• Various Video & Audio Codecs supported.
• H.264, H.265/HEVC Video Decoder Acceleration.
• Various Core Image Filters supported.
• Video Rotation & Flip.
• Digital Audio Out (S/PDIF)
• Audio Equalizer supported
• A/V Sync Adjustment.
• High-Quality Subtitles.
• Various Subtitle Formats supported.
• Embedded Subtitles supported.
• Compressed Subtitles in .zip & .rar supported.
• 3D Subtitles supported.
• Subtitle Displayed in Letter Box.
• Unlimited concurrent subtitle display.
• Fully Customizable Subtitle Display.
• Subtitle Text Encoding auto-detection.
• Subtitle Sync Adjustment.
• Auto-Filling Playlist (searching series & subtitle files)
• Playlist Shuffle & Repeat Mode.
• Playlist Load & Save.
• Playback Speed Adjustment.
• Screenshot Capture.
• Supported HDR Tone Mapping
- Resolved issues which HDR media look weak and washed out
- [Preferences] > Video > HDR Tone Mapping
- [Movist Pro Menu] > Video > HDR Tone Mapping
• Fixed a problem which can't play some audio files with few video frames
• Fixed a problem which can't load some subtitles
• Fixed a problem which the apple remote doesn't work
• Fixed a crashing bug in inspector window
• Fixed a crashing bug of embedded subtitles of mp4
Ratings and Reviews
I Agree. Very Disappointing Update!
This was my favorite video player and my #1 go to. Now, I am so frustrated with it that I am looking for another. I, too, wish that I could use the older version again. It was clean, effective and never failed me. In this version, I hate all the unnecessary options that appear on the screen, I find opening video files to be frustrating and miss having the controls on top of the screen as opposed to the bottom, in the screen. In short, all the updates make this app worse, not better. I hope that the developer hears these cries and repairs what has been damaged.
Maybe not 5 stars, but more than 4
Long time user from back in 1.xxx days frustrated but lack of support and lack of updates. Was surprised and happy to see someone updating to 2.0, but it was so glitchy that I went to IINA for a while. VLC in my opinion never held a candle to Movist, but IINA did because it was “like” an updated Movist. 2.01 came along and it wasn’t much better than 2.0, but 2.03 was much improved, 2.04 was even better so that IINA is no longer default, but back to Movist.
2.0.4 is improved even more and still has some glitches, but it is very usable. I have had trouble remapping the hotkeys, so I just learned the new hotkeys, and it is fine. I have not yet used 2.0.5, but, as I alluded to, since 2.0.4 it is again, happily, my default player…Thanks Movist team for updating and continuing to update, what I think is the best Mac video player out there.
The newest update, which has dramatically changed many aspects of Movist, is NOT an improvement, as far as I can see. 1) The placement of the controls and the progress bar at the BOTTOM as opposed to the TOP (where it used to be) can lead to the Dock showing up. Very annoying. Would prefer there be an OPTION for either the TOP or BOTTOM. 2) Remote Control functionality had been lost before (UP/DOWN as the VOLUME UP/DOWN) but now it is gone completely. The Apple Remote does not work at all. 3) DRAG AND DROP into the playlist doesn’t seem to work as it used to. It used to be a simple matter of dragging and dropping into the playlist to add videos, but it doesn’t work this way. 4) LAG/SLOWDOWN. This update seems to lag quite a bit, and is not as responsive as the prior version. It is significantly noticeable. In short, I can’t say that I see a single thing that I would rate as an improvement. This has been a horrible update, in my opinion.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.