MrMC is a software media center for playing videos, music, and pictures. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, and other digital media files from local storage media and media devices/servers such as Emby, Plex, HDHomerun, TVHeadend and more.
User installed python addons/plugins are not supported
- integrated Trakt support
- integrated Plex client with Direct Play
- integrated SMB, NFS, FTP/SFTP clients
- integrated LightEffects client (boblight/ambilight)
- integrated SQLite or external MySQL databases for video/music libraries
- supports DVDs with DVD menu support
- supports MKV, AVI, and other video files
- supports ACC, FLAC, DD, DTS and other audio formats
- supports MythTV, HDHomeRun and many other IPTV devices
- fix service: set default views for Plex/Emby/Jellyfin
- patch ffmpeg to identify DVD lpcm correctly
- remove divx, only allow it on iOS and Apple TV purchases on or before 3.9.10
- jellyfin: fix playback status reporting on 10.7
- plex: add skip intro detection from PMS
- fix: compare "Upgrade" header using StringUtils::CompareNoCase
Ratings and Reviews
Missing Kodi features
This app has promise, but it’s sorely behind in Kodi features. I could maybe even forgive that if it had more skinning options, handled larger databases better, and had Picture-In-Picture mode.
Seems to work OK
Unable to find Airplay or Chromecast support. Doesn’t appear to “scrape” properly my TV shows or movies on my home SMB server but it does play the videos properly. My observation so far it is your basic media player and hopefully the above will be corrected or added or I am out of a couple of bucks.
Nice basic Media Player interface, KODI - like design, functionality could be better..
This is not (yet) the media center client I am looking for, to view, manage and play my movie collection from several NAS servers.
Since I use the KODI media center app on my Windows 10PCs and like it, I thought MrMC (based on core KODI functionality) would offer me the same on my iPad, for a reasonable price.
I probably won’t use the current MrMC since functionality is too limited for me, but I paid for it and I keep it installed to see if future versions add usability and tools I am looking for.
I tested the app with the Opacity UI. A clean, contemporary design. Very nice. But it’s not a great iPad (touch) implementation, i did not find support for gestures, the lack of a home button means you have to click and navigate back through the layers of features, no easy jump from the end to the top of your long movie list..
Browsing large media collections is slow. One long list with thousands of movies, none of the usual navigation tools like alphabetic selection to show all movie titles beginning with ‘x’.
It appears the UI automatically merges all your movie files from various network source directories together in one long list, whether you want it or not.
Download of cover art and plot summaries works very well. Only one of my 670 test movies was not correctly identified.
Other metadata does not work so well. Review ratings are only found and downloaded for some of the movies when I define IMDB Or MovieDB as source, or not at all from other sources like Rotten Tomatoes. Some movies seem to be randomly marked as HD, others with the exact same resolution are not. File size, data transfer rate or container file types are not shown (mkv, mp4) in the list or movie info. That makes the correct file selection difficult if you have the same movie in several versions. It’s hit or miss.
I still recommend the app for users with smaller amounts of files and less storage or sorting complexity - but of course you don’t really need a media center app then..
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- ROOTCODER, L.L.C.
- 152.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 ROOTCODER, L.L.C.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.