MultitrackStudio for iPad is an audio/MIDI multitrack recording app. It comes with many high quality audio effects including a guitar amp simulator.
Both audio and MIDI tracks can be edited. MIDI editing features include pianoroll, drum and score editors.
The straightforward user-interface has been designed with tape-based recording in mind. It's easy to use yet powerful.
• Up to 16 audio/MIDI tracks, audio tracks can be mono or stereo.
• Editors: audio, pianoroll, drum, score, MIDI patterns, MIDI controllers, timesig/tempo and song.
• One effect return section.
• One master section.
• Three effect slots per mixer section (two for MIDI tracks).
• Effects: Automated Fader, Chorus, Compressor, DeEsser, Echo, EQ, Flanger, Guitar Amp, Master Limiter, Noise Gate, Phaser, Reverb, Rotor, Saturator, Stereo Imager, Tremolo, Tuner and Vibrato.
• MIDI instruments: MultitrackStudio Instruments (General MIDI compatible), SoundFont Player, Matrix Sampler, up to four Virtual MIDI Apps and one CoreMIDI output device.
• Supports Audio Unit effects and instruments and MIDI effects (the latter require iOS 12).
• Supports Inter-App Audio effects and instruments.
• Supports Audiobus (acts as output in Audiobus app).
• MIDI sources: onscreen keyboard (keyboard, chords, drum, matrix and various string layouts) and one CoreMIDI input device. Supports Bluetooth LE MIDI.
• Audio sample rate: 44.1 or 48 kHz.
• Imports .wav, .aif, .mp3, .mid and various other audio file types.
• Exports .wav and .mid files.
• Import/export audio/MIDI via AudioShare, General Pasteboard, Document Picker, iTunes File Sharing or email.
• Imports/exports .zip file containing all files needed to open song, compatible with MultitrackStudio for Windows/OS X.
The Pro Extension (available as in-app purchase) adds these features:
• Up to 32 tracks.
• Either an extra Effect Return or up to 8 Groups.
• Two extra Effect Returns on 12.9 inch iPads.
• Multichannel audio playback.
• Mixer and effect automation.
• Audio pitch shifting in track editors.
• Time stretching in track editors.
• Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
• Stretch and Stretch Accelerando in tempo editor.
• Multi MIDI Editor (edit multiple tracks in a single editor)..
• Create new song using current as template.
• Convolutor effect with Vintage Reverbs.
• Load custom speaker IR in Guitar Amp.
• Dynamics effect, supports sidechaining.
• Multiband Compressor effect.
• Phase Inverter effect.
• Transposer effect.
• Vocal Tuner effect.
Note: MultitrackStudio for iPad does NOT support Bluetooth audio devices.
iPad 2, iPad 3 and first gen. iPad mini do not support Audio Units.
• Compressor now has 3 programs: Clean, Vintage and Vintage Warm (it used to be Vintage only).
• Compressor: Clean program has sidechain input selector, so it can be used for ducking etc. (requires Pro Extension)
• AU audio effect and instrument plugins can have sidechain input. It can receive other tracks. (requires Pro Extension)
• Fixed: editing compressed audio files (mp3 etc.) caused error in version 3.5.
• Fixed: an error occurred if an AU plugin app was installed or uninstalled before showing a plugin selector in MTS.
Ratings and Reviews
Feature Rich, Solid, For Pros, The Best on iOS
You won’t be able to match this app feature for feature with anything else in iOS. Learn the interface and you will be addicted.
This is a secret jewel. Get the pro extension and you will never look back. This app has possibly the best punch-in features available. Internal sampling is a breeze. Time stretch, multiple time signatures and tempos, convolution reverb, guitar amp, fully IAA, AU, and AUv3 compatible. MIDI routing, internal keyboard, chord pads, guitar fretboard, and more.
Smooth real-time scrubbing with midi and audio!
Time signature and tempo mapping.
A song editor that easily operates across all tracks. A midi editing interface that offers access TO ALL MIDI TRACKS AT ONCE.
It even features notation!
Look at the size of the app. A fraction of the size of other DAWS with twice the feature set. It must be written in magic.
If you do more than cut up pieces of other people’s music and glue them together you will certainly benefit from this app. Kudos Geil Bremmers!
One of the best
The developer is devoted to the app and constantly updates it, and it keeps getting better and better. It doesn’t get enough attention in the music app community, but it is my DAW of choice and I recommend it to anyone who is serious about producing music on the iOS platform.
Another update for the top of the class
The very brilliance of this app explains the poor reviews: it's idiosyncratic, and there's a learning curve. The developer is incredibly responsive, and a relentless updater, and his application does more with midi and audio editors (and more elegantly) than any other iOS DAW.
- Giel Bremmers
- 35.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2001-2019 Bremmers Audio Design
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Extension $19.99
- Track Pack $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.