Music Memos is the easiest way for songwriters to capture and organize new musical ideas. Use your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to record acoustic guitar, piano, voice, or any musical instrument as high-quality, uncompressed audio. Then name, tag and rate your ideas to start building a library of all your favorite new song parts and riffs. Music Memos automatically detects your tempo, rhythmic feel and chords and lets you instantly hear your musical idea accompanied by a rhythm section with realistic drums and bass. View the chords you’ve played, add comments and lyrics, or share your recordings with friends or directly to Apple Music Connect*. And it’s easy to take your favorite ideas into GarageBand to add more instruments and continue building your song.
Quickly capture musical ideas
• Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
• Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
• Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
• Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a library of song ideas
• Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
• Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
• Rate your song idea 1-5 stars to help you identify your favorites
• Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas are always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, edit and document your song ideas
• Automatically analyzes the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
• Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
• The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
• Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
• Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternate guitar tunings or capo position
Share your new song
• Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
• Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
• Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
• Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
• Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
* Requires Apple Music Connect account
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
An Essential App That’s Become Unusable
I’ve been using Music Memos since it’s original release and it quickly became an indispensable part of my toolkit. As a guitar player I really appreciate how geared it is for my needs. I love that it has a notes section that also features places to mark capo positioning and tuning (I do really wish that it let you save multiple custom tubings instead of just one though). I also love the auto detect record option. These features make so much sense and are so well thought out. However, recently the app has become almost completely broken. It takes FAR too long to be ready to record after opening which is obviously a major problem when an idea strikes and you need to get it recorded quickly. I’m so disappointed that it appears that Apple has abandoned this app as evidenced by the fact that it hasn’t been updated in 8 months and hasn’t even updated to fit iPhone X screens.
I’ve been clinging to Music Memos for as long as I could, but sadly I have to start looking elsewhere. I would be thrilled to see an update soon.
Great idea, but bugs make it nearly unusable
I really wanted to like this app due to its simple and elegant interface and good sound quality, however, there are too many unacceptable bugs to make it reliable for a working musician. I use this app in both an iPhone and iPad, both last generation and the experience is consistent. I have also been using the app since its inception and no updates have addressed the issues.
Firstly, yes, it takes the app 5-10 seconds just to load the waveform image, and you have to wait until that happens to listen back. The longer you record, the longer it takes for this to happen. If you delete and re-record more than 2 or 3 times in a row, the app will either freeze or stop deleting and recording anything new. It appears to delete and record successfully, but when you play it back, it continues to show and play the last take. Also, it will sometimes stop audio capture (or playback, not sure which one) mid take, despite showing a waveform. I find myself having to restart the app, but I usually just stop using after a while to stop wasting time. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app several times.
If you need a recording app for practicing where deleting and retaking is a must, this app is simply unusable. It is clear Apple has not allocated enough resources to properly test and debug it.
This app is amazing. But there still are some bugs. Even as a voiceover user, I see them.
As the title clearly states, there are still some bugs in the app. It’s automatically opening my ideas, and it shouldn’t be. However, I still like it, and it still usable, however, there are some people that are still saying that there are some bugs in it. And I do agree. The opening the idea automatically, is one of them. And while I do agree with someone else that adding reverb, and other effects to hear sound quality instrument, is great.
Sometimes, during this experience, do you have does crash every once in a while. But, hopefully the next update will fix this. Keep continuing to do updates, and I look forward to seeing them. As the bugs get squashed, maybe a lot of us will continue to use this app a little more. I am a music fan nonetheless, and I am trying to write songs myself.
Of course this app has crashes, but that was not what I meant. I meant, the app sometimes crashes. Just figured I would receive that a little bit because of me using dictation as a blind man.
- Apple Inc.
- 157.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.