Music Memos is the easiest way for songwriters to capture and organize new musical ideas. Use your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to record acoustic guitar, piano, voice, or any musical instrument as high-quality, uncompressed audio. Then name, tag and rate your ideas to start building a library of all your favorite new song parts and riffs. Music Memos automatically detects your tempo, rhythmic feel and chords and lets you instantly hear your musical idea accompanied by a rhythm section with realistic drums and bass. View the chords you’ve played, add comments and lyrics, or share your recordings with friends or directly to Apple Music Connect*. And it’s easy to take your favorite ideas into GarageBand to add more instruments and continue building your song.
Quickly capture musical ideas
• Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
• Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
• Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
• Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a library of song ideas
• Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
• Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
• Rate your song idea 1-5 stars to help you identify your favorites
• Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas are always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, edit and document your song ideas
• Automatically analyzes the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
• Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
• The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
• Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
• Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternate guitar tunings or capo position
Share your new song
• Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
• Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
• Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
• Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
• Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
* Requires Apple Music Connect account
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great idea, but bugs make it nearly unusable
I really wanted to like this app due to its simple and elegant interface and good sound quality, however, there are too many unacceptable bugs to make it reliable for a working musician. I use this app in both an iPhone and iPad, both last generation and the experience is consistent. I have also been using the app since its inception and no updates have addressed the issues.
Firstly, yes, it takes the app 5-10 seconds just to load the waveform image, and you have to wait until that happens to listen back. The longer you record, the longer it takes for this to happen. If you delete and re-record more than 2 or 3 times in a row, the app will either freeze or stop deleting and recording anything new. It appears to delete and record successfully, but when you play it back, it continues to show and play the last take. Also, it will sometimes stop audio capture (or playback, not sure which one) mid take, despite showing a waveform. I find myself having to restart the app, but I usually just stop using after a while to stop wasting time. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app several times.
If you need a recording app for practicing where deleting and retaking is a must, this app is simply unusable. It is clear Apple has not allocated enough resources to properly test and debug it.
This app is amazing. But there still are some bugs. Even as a voiceover user, I see them.
As the title clearly states, there are still some bugs in the app. It’s automatically opening my ideas, and it shouldn’t be. However, I still like it, and it still usable, however, there are some people that are still saying that there are some bugs in it. And I do agree. The opening the idea automatically, is one of them. And while I do agree with someone else that adding reverb, and other effects to hear sound quality instrument, is great.
Sometimes, during this experience, do you have does crash every once in a while. But, hopefully the next update will fix this. Keep continuing to do updates, and I look forward to seeing them. As the bugs get squashed, maybe a lot of us will continue to use this app a little more. I am a music fan nonetheless, and I am trying to write songs myself.
Of course this app has crashes, but that was not what I meant. I meant, the app sometimes crashes. Just figured I would receive that a little bit because of me using dictation as a blind man.
A few gripes from a daily user
This is a fantastic app. There are a few issues that could use some work however. A lot of other reviewers talk about the lag of it and that is pretty major. It seems to take a bit for the app to "update" the waveform view. This at least provides user feedback however. When I tap the blue record button sometimes nothing happens. I guess the app is initializing the microphone or something. You have to wait until you see the incoming sound circles emanating from the button for it to be ready to record, which is not immediately obvious.
I also wish that it would handle the iPhone's power saving features better. Sometimes exporting a track will be interrupted by the phone going to sleep which seems to interrupt the process, forcing the user to start again. That or you have to tap the screen to keep the phone awake, but remember not to tap the cancellation "x".
Again, this is a fantastic app. I use it every day to send song ideas to band mates. There are missing features that might be useful, but adding too much stuff runs the risk of bloating it.
- Apple Inc.
- 157.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.