MusicJOT is a powerful music notation app that's also easy to use. Write quickly and naturally on a staff and watch it rendered into beautifully notated music. Interact directly, quickly dragging notes around to change their pitch or duration and choose advanced features from pop-up palettes. Listen to your composition with our full-featured audio playback engine, featuring unlimited tracks and 128 built-in General MIDI instruments. Export your scores in MusicXML or MIDI and pick them up in any desktop notation app such as Finale® or Sibelius® for final tweaking and printing.
• Enter music with your own natural handwriting and a stylus. Optimized for Apple Pencil®. Also directly supports Adonit® stylus.
• Alternative palette-driven system for notes and music symbols.
• Layers let you control and de-clutter what is displayed.
• "Virtual Pointer" allows spot-checking notes, local playback of notes or chords and entering/selecting events.
• The "Visual Road Map" shows your composition's repeat structure.
• Lyric support with automatic syllable flowing.
• Number of staffs and measures limited only by your device.
• Group instruments together, such as a woodwind section in an orchestral score.
• MusicJOT doesn't force you to maintain legal notation. Correct measures at any time with the Illegal Measure Buttons.
• Advanced settings allow fine tuning of dozens of parameters to tailor your notation style.
• Complete contextual help system, including a device-resident manual and tutorials.
• Individual staffs can be transposed for transposing instruments, such as trumpets and saxophones.
• Batch note manipulations, such as transpositions and copy/paste with merge, append and replace.
• Paste Special allows filtering of pasted measure events, easy ostinatos, selective voice pastes and more.
• Directly change note pitches (diatonic, chromatic) or durations by dragging when not in handwriting mode.
• Playback support for tempo markings and dynamics.
• Music spacing adjustable.
• Context sensitive menu system after selections for many often used operations such as octave transpositions, note/rest toggle, common triplets, and simple repeats, etc.
• Score manager allows creation of new scores from templates or custom setup.
• Air print directly from MusicJOT.
• Multiple voices per staff.
• A Staff Manager lets you rearrange all staffs.
• A new Transformation Editor lets you experiment with a variety of tools that you can apply to your predefined regions.
• A new Chord Editor lets you create playable text-based chords.
• Now with AirDrop.
• Now supports the new 3rd generation iPad Pro and new Apple Pencil.
• Additional Sound libraries can be purchased (InApp Purchases).
• Support for fretboards.
• Custom beaming
• Voice 2 rests draggable to avoid collisions.
• Alternate all-in-one notes/rests/tools palette.
•. All-in-one expressions palette.
•. Tremolos, trills, dynamics, accents and staccatos that playback.
* Fixed an issue introduced in 1.3.9 that caused a crash when deleting entire staves.
* Fixed an issue where Paste Special with Merge was not always “undo-ing” properly.
* Other minor fixes.
* Ties and slurs now will freeze above/below when in the presence of two voices.
* Undo not restoring ties in some instances.
* Some screen redrawing is necessary after an email or print.
* Copying selected notes instead of simply whole measures is not yet supported.
* Paste Special using Merge involving tuplets has some minor issues. Best to save before implementing Paste Special: Merge.
Ratings and Reviews
No drum capabilities
Guess I should have done more research before wasting my money on this. There are pitched percussion options, but no options to write snare drum, bass drum or any other non-pitched percussion.
Developer Response ,
This is an unfair review. You are giving the app two stars because despite having hundreds of features, the one you are most interested in is missing. How is that a fair and balanced review? As it so happens, percussion notation is coming, but many won't ever see that because they will bail on the bad review.
Its getting better but
I was staying away from this app for awhile to let it get its bearings together, and honestly I was just frustrated with all the crashes and difficulty using it. But I came back to it today after about a year of not bothering with it to see what updates have been made since when I did contact customer support they got back to me very quickly and resolved one my issues with the app. For one it runs much smoother than before, and I'm having less issues writing the notes and getting them in the system correctly. But unfortunately about part way through a new project it crashed and scrambled the notes once I opened it back up and basically ruined my project. It does have a lot of potential, I really want to like it, but for now I'm not completely sold on it or the price I paid for it. Thankfully it looks like it has a dedicated team working on it.
Crashes a lot
I love the idea of the app but it is impossible to use. It seems the more notes you add to a score the more it crashes. I have reached the point in a project where if you try to do anything it crashes automatically. Adding a note, zooming in and out, selecting a note causes it to crash. It only has two staves with lyrics and like fifty measures, so it is not like a full piece. But if you start a new project and add notes and whatever, it works fine... for a while. So there is clearly an issue with the amount of material that is added to a score affecting how it performs. There has been 2 or 3 updates since I have been unable to add anything, and none have fixed the problem. I paid $30 for the app and I can’t use it.
- Mona Lisa Sound, Inc.
- 121.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Mona Lisa Sound, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Timbres Of Heaven $9.99
- Dance Organs $3.99
- Various Synths $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.