*** Thank you for all the suggestions and comments, but please, do not send bug reports and feature requests via application rating system. I am not even able to answer them. Use support e-mail instead. Thanks! ***
Have you ever wanted to mute your microphone exactly the same way as Output Volume? Now it is possible.
MuteMyMic provides you with easy way to control Input Volume from the status bar or via keyboard shortcuts.
- (F5) - decrease volume
- (F6) - increase volume
- (option+F5) - Mute/Unmute
- (option+F6) - Maximize volume
Application works in a background and allows you to control the Input Volume with a single key or mouse click while at the same time you can enjoy your favorite applications that require your mic.
Now, you can adjust volume of your Internet phone calls right from the keyboard shortcuts.
Since version 1.10 there is no longer Growl integration. However, MMM will still use notification center. It will notify you each time input volume was changed by other applications.
There is a new feature - "force mute". Whenever MuteMyMic determines that microphone was unmuted it will mute it again (this feature can be enabled/disable via Preferences panel).
- minor bug fixes
- removed Growl support - sorry for that but I am switching to notification centre
- support for Dark/Light themes
Ratings and Reviews
Showing great potential
▪ Force Mute working! The growl notifications show it actively overriding volume changes. I believe WebEx was the culprit.
▪ Supported! Email to support on 26 Feb 2015 received a rapid reply! The icon is not visible with dark menu bar theme enabled. Answer: The latest update has addressed the issue and is in the Apple store approval pipeline.
▪ Good features: removing the app from the dock, saving dock space, red icon when muted, input threshold control.
What could be better:
▪ Needs user control over keyboard hot-keys.
▪ The hotkeys should ideally integrate with the system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts.
Convenient global control of my microphone is essential to my work. My previous app is not updated for OS X Yosemite.
Thank you for developing and supporting this application.
Updated for version 1.10. Effectively mutes my microphone even with applications which actively control microphone volume, such as WebEx. Essential. No more chance of a teleconference moderator un-muting my mic, causing a socially embarassing or disastrous business situation.
Icon visibility improved with dark menu bar theme in OS X Yosemite.
Still wishing for ability to reassign hot key.
Appears to have very low resource use.
This app does what is advertised and I think that it improves my security. One issue is that when an application turns the mic on and the volume goes to maxium, people often still can’t hear me. When this occurs I have to lower the mic volume slightly so that I can be heard.
It appears this app works by turning the input volume down, not by disabling recording altogether. Maybe that's the only way to do it. Unfortunately, it means applications can override the mute by adjusting the volume on the recorded sound.
I installed the application, turned force mute on, and tested recording a voice memo. In the waveform, I could see myself being recorded whether or not the mic was muted. On playback, parts of the muted portion were audible.
As the mute is incosistent, I cannot rely on this app. I am certainly grateful for a solo developer pushing a free app to the App Store. It's clear the developer made a good faith effort to get this working. It just seems that this app is no longer a reliable solution.
The developer, Michal Konrad Owsiak, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Michal Owsiak
- 842.3 KB
- Requires macOS 10.6 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2015 Michal Konrad Owsiak
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.