The MyLines® app is a tool that assists actors in memorizing their lines. It presents the script in a way that shows the lines of the actor's role separate from those of the other roles. It helps to minimize the need to have a second person help with the lines. The MyLines app works with text-based scripts that are imported into the app through the website. PLEASE NOTE that PDFs and image-based scripts MUST be converted to TEXT in order to work with the MyLines app. Many scripts/shows are becoming available each day. Check http://stagepro.mylines.com/AvailableShows.aspx for the latest list of available shows.
In addition to viewing the script, MyLines allows you to hear the script using your device’s Text-to-Speech capability. You can hear your own lines, or your cue lines, or both. You may also record your lines yourself and play them back.
Go to http://www.mylines.com/Screens.aspx to see a sample of how a script is presented.
A tool to help actors learn lines and get off book
• Choose your role and all your lines are automatically highlighted.
• Works as a standalone app or in conjunction with the StagePro app for stage management.
• Hidden mode where all lines are visible except your own.
• Bookmark any line in the script for quick reference.
• Reads your script back using Text-to-Speech or your recorded voice.
• Specify number of cues before your line.
• Override default highlighting as necessary.
• ‘Role’ view presents the script in a way that your lines are separated from the other lines in the script.
• User can customize highlight colors, font sizes for role, dialog and stage directions.
• Instructions on website to create text-based scripts and import onto your device.
• First fifty lines of text imported into the app is free. After fifty lines, a one-time in-app purchase is required. The one-time in-app purchase is also required to use a public domain sample script from the website, or to use a script rented or purchased from a theatrical rights licensing organization.
- New Color Scheme
- Updated color scheme
- iPhone X support
- Show line number in Lean Script page
- Fix intermittent crash on Download
- Fix intermittent crash on Creating new script
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t Sign In
I’ve tried so many times to log in, I can’t. The app will not let me. I’ve deleted it, tried a new email, confirmed it, but nothing. Every time I try to log into the app, it brings up the pop-up and will not let me sign into my account. I can access it through Google, just not the app.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for the delay. Just noticed this post. If you still are having trouble please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information on how to correct the log in issue.
Quirky app that is my go-to for years now
In terms of functionality for learning lines, this app is perfect. Gives you lots of options helps you at each stage of memorization. There is a huge learning curve to the interface, yes. And it force closes, yes (although the force closing is very predictable and I’ve never lost any work to it, so I’ve gotten used to it as just that one part where it force closes). But this app has become an indispensable tool of mine. Also I once contacted the developers about somehow only being able to download the free version from the App Store on a new device even though I own the paid version - they were responsive, helpful, easy-going and lovely.
Great tool with great potential
Yes, the interface can be tricky to navigate and, yes, preparing/importing scripts is a bit convoluted, but this app has helped me so much over the last couple years. I usually now just dictate scripts (even lengthy ones) directly into the app... I think of that process as yet another way of studying/learning lines. Then I assign voices and start working. I haven’t tried any other line-learning apps, so can’t compare. One odd thing recently: a few certain words like “it” end up being pronounced “eye tee.” Can’t understand why, but hope that’ll be corrected at some point. Of course, though, even hearing mistakes like that in your cue line actually makes it more memorable, which is the whole point.
- MyLines LLC
- 90.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Copyright © 2009-2017 MyLines LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.