A Lovely Anagram Game
Find all the English words (of three letters or more) that can be formed from the letters of a word. Get hints and look up the definitions of unfamiliar words along the way.
* Choice of difficulty: Select games made from Easy, Medium and Hard word dictonaries.
* Hints: Can't figure out a word? Get a hint!
* Definitions: Look up an unfamiliar word. If the app "Terminology" is installed, it will be used. Otherwise, a select set of web destinations is provided.
* Letter Positioning: Tap, Drag, Flick, or Slide letter tiles to the rack to make words. Very fast and natural tile movement.
* Automatic word sensing--once the letters in the rack make a word, it is detected instantly.
* Points: get more points for finding longer words. Less points if hints are used.
* Family Friendly: explicit words have been expurgated.
HOW TO PLAY:
Move the letter tiles from the tray to the rack to form words. Tap tiles to move them up and down, or drag 'em around where you want.
To shuffle, double tap a tile in the tray or press the shuffle button.
To clear the rack, double tap a tile in the rack or press the clear button.
Tap on an empty answer position to get a hint.
Tap on a filled answer position to recall the word to the rack.
Tap on the filled answer position again to get a definition, or press the "Define word" button.
Drag the answer page left or right to see other pages.
More controls slide down by tapping the status bar. Start a new game, change the sound effects volume, or reveal the answers here.
More information, can be had by pressing "ⓘ". Get information, help, and buy the harder words here.
For visual help, press "?" or the "Help" button.
Comes with the Easy set of words.
Step up to the Harder words with an in-app purchase.
Now with Easy, Medium and Hard word selections.
All new and improved! New colors, new words, new look!
Easy uses a smaller dictionary of general English words. Medium uses a much larger vocabulary, and Hard is...well..hard, weighing in at about 245,000 words! In honor of iPhone X, Hard words has 10 letter words too! Sometime Hard is so hard we skip the 3 letter answers and only look for 4 letter words and up.
Version 2.0 in memory of Laura, Nagaram's biggest fan.
Ratings and Reviews
App changed with last update
This was a pretty simple yet addictive game of anagram. You would pick the length of a word and then find that word plus as many smaller words made up of the letters as you can. You could pick four or eight letter base words for example. Now after the update you can only choose easy medium or hard words and the length of the base word is random. But you also do not get to guess all of the smaller words as some of the rounds won't let you guess three letters for example. I wish it would go back to the old game format.
I started playing this again and noted that there are many non English words included. They should stick to one language in the word possibilities.
Best scramble game!
I play word games all the time and I love the functionality of this game. The latest version separates easy, medium and hard words, increasing word obscurity with each level. Hard level words tend to be longer and are truly a challenge even for regular word game addicts.
First, there is no way I am going to pay $1.99 for the upgrade to the full version (with all words) if it still has ads. Forget about it. No app that has ads will ever, ever get a cent of my money.
The app is reasonably nice, but there are a lot of flaws:
1. The interface is not very polished (seems a bit childish, even) and it is kind of clunky/slow at times.
2. It automatically enters words for you as soon as they are formed, which might seem like a feature, but sometimes is undesirable (part of the fun of a good anagram game is that it's possible to miss a shorter word when you're focused on a longer one!) At the very least, it should be possible to turn this off.
3. The "family-friendly" expurgation goes too far. While I understand excluding actual swear words, when you get the letters EINPS, they do make one other perfectly valid 5-letter English word besides SNIPE, SPINE, and PINES, and to pretend that they don't is to cheapen this program irreparably.
4. There are some questionable inclusions and exclusions amongst the anagrams. I will accept an obscure form like WEER as a comparative of "wee" (though the OED has no citation for it) but how on earth can you exclude a well-established word like SPLINE?! The mind boggles.
I expect to delete this app after a few more plays - I would have considered buying the 75,000 word full version but won't because of the ads.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.