Name Mangler is a blazingly-fast multi-file renaming tool that's incredibly easy to use.
• Create single or multi-step renaming actions, save them, and share them across Macs
• Rename in excess of 2,000 files per second
• Use files' metadata (e.g. ISO speed, dimensions, bit rate, etc.) in new names
• Before and after views of your filenames insure you rename them as you intend
• Save renaming tasks as droplets: just drag-and-drop files onto a droplet, and they'll be renamed
• Load any previously-used rename action from the History browser
Name Mangler 3 represents a quantum leap forward in file renaming: speed and beauty combined with ease of use, and loaded with features.
For those coming from Name Mangler 2, here's what's new in this version:
--- Tons of new features ---
• Multi-step renaming lets you perform complex renaming tasks without touching Advanced mode
• Metadata accessible for use in all renaming operations, via an intuitive metadata browser
• Save any renaming action as a Preset, and automatically sync those presets across Macs
• Export renaming actions for sharing via email, etc.
• History keeps track of all performed actions, making it simple to reuse these actions
• Revert last-used renaming operation
• Shift-drag to file list will add the dragged files to the existing list
• Delete presets (and snippets, see below) from within Name Mangler by using the Option key
• Optionally display only files that will be renamed, instead of all files in the list
• Automatically detect potential duplicates and flag (or optionally automatically fix)
• Finder is no longer required to be running to use Name Mangler
• Check for file writable status and warn user if files are not writable
--- User interface improvements ---
• Fully retinaized for the retina Mac laptops
• The pop-up button for the rename operations has been moved out of the toolbar
• The 'Rename' button is in a more logical and visible spot
• Choose a dark or light appearance for the file list area
• The rename action area can be expanded horizontally
• Status lights next to each filename deliver at-a-glance info on renaming state
• Interim results show filenames at each step of a multi-step renaming task
• Tooltips show original names, new names, and errors
• Query field in Find and Replace makes it more obvious when in regular expression mode
• Status light for regular expressions shows syntax checking state (green=good, red=bad)
• New large icon view
• Automatic view mode determines what details to show based on sort order
--- Mind-boggling speed improvements ---
• Load tens of thousands of files from Finder in only seconds
• 50 to 100+ times faster than Name Mangler 2
• Rename from 1,000 to in excess of 2,000 files per second
• So fast, you may think it's not doing anything…but it is!
--- New/improved renaming actions ---
• New action: Compose, to start with a completely blank slate
• Split Insert/Remove into two distinct actions
• Split Prefix/Suffix into two distinct actions
• Sequence has been greatly simplified, thanks to multi-step
• New Sequence formats: Roman Numerals and Letters
• Sequence start and increments can be negative
• Increased the maximum and minimum limits for Sequence values
• Arbitrary Terms is now a format in the Sequence action
• Arbitrary Terms can take a CSV formatted file as input
--- Advances in Advanced mode ---
• New function: [random (number of character) from (pool)]
• Auto-complete functions and variables
• Tab to next empty parameter
• Selection (or line) can be shifted in or out via Command-[ and Command-]
• Find and replace
• Save any Advanced program as a Preset for easy reuse
• Create snippets of portions of code for easy reuse in other Advanced programs
• Automatically sync snippets to multiple Macs
• Added a "Group by" feature to the Sequence action—this can be used to create independent sequence numbers for files in different folders, for example.
• Single-item occurences of files in a Group by sequence can optionally not have any sequence number (Edit > Insert Laziness Indicator).
• Title Case conversions can now either keep existing formatting for words less than a certain length, or convert them to lowercase.
• The file list can no longer be cleared during a renaming operation.
• Resolved an issue that made the Rename button invisible when using Dark Mode and Increased Contrast settings.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great Software, does exactly what it says and more.
I have never written a review on app store, but I thought I would do it here for this app, since it has been a great program for me.
I purchased a NAS drive for my home for the purpose of organizing and centrally storing 15 years of photos from my wife and my macs and phones and other sources. I needed an app that could rename files easily and in a smart manner. This program allowed me to name, number and even attached creation dates with the click of the button. With my new photos with GEO Data, it can even add the location to the file name. The benefit for me is that the names allow quick searching to find specific photos regardless of app.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it renamed locally or even on a mounted drive or NAS drive without any permission issues or crashing. I also used it to name over 1,000 large photo files at a time without any issues.
Great work on this, thank you!
What a life saver!
This app saved my bacon. Moving 350gb of docs from a local server to Dropbox. Staff can’t seem to get it through their brains that they can’t use slashes in file names, so the Dropbox sync just kept stopping after more than an hour of scanning. It didn’t quarantine or isolate the file it just stopped. This app allowed me to replace all / with a - in less than 3 minutes. Wow. About 100 files out of more than 300,000 had bad names.
Useful and flexible renaming utility
I find the flexible file renaming options particularly useful when dealing with large collections of photos of the same event from different cameras/photographers. I can almost always find a way to get the result I want quickly and even when I don't, I am generally more limited by my own creativity than by the program itself.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.