A source of endless inspiration for the everyday explorer and the insatiably curious, the National Geographic app reveals new insights into cultures, ideas, and discoveries through high-definition storytelling. Your free account gives you access to a personalized feed of the topics you love.
groundbreaking articles by pioneers in storytelling.
by award-winning photos.
over 3,000 captivating videos.
our rich history through curated archives dating back to 1888.
National Geographic App subscription offer details:
- Annual subscription: $19.99 (12 issues)
- Monthly subscription: $1.99/month (1 issue)
- Single issues: $4.99/issue
- Subscriptions do not include content from magazines published by National Geographic Partners, LLC other than the National Geographic magazine.
• Payment will be processed through your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription will automatically renew per the billing cycle of your subscription (i.e., monthly or yearly) 24-hours before the end of the current period, and your credit card will be charged through your iTunes account.
• The renewal charge for your Subscription shall be the same as the original purchase price, unless you are otherwise notified in advance.
• To avoid the billing of fees for the next Subscription period, you must switch off your monthly or yearly Subscription at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• You can turn off auto-renew at any time from your iTunes account settings.
• You will not receive a refund for the fees you already paid for you current Subscription period and you will continue to have access to your Subscription until the end of your current Subscription period.
• National Geographic provides no refunds and you may cancel auto-renewal at any time. All sales are final.
• After purchase via iTunes, you will have unlimited access on this device.
We update the National Geographic app as often as possible to make it better for you. Please continue to leave reviews and let us know what you’d like to see.
In addition to numerous stability and performance improvements, this version includes the following bug fixes:
• Fixed a bug that prevented landing on the intended article or video after tapping on a push notification.
• Addressed several UI glitches associated with the card formatting in the video and article feeds.
Ratings and Reviews
Just about the worst app update ever...
It’s no coincidence that almost without exception every review since the 3.0 update has been for one star only. In my opinion this app no longer even rates a single star. As a subscriber to Nat Geo for nearly 40 years this update destroys the entire premise of a MAGAZINE. Nat Geo did a great job with the original app of taking the printed magazine content and enhancing it with new media and up to the minute content. The application allowed me to carry my magazines with me to read on long flights and vacations and really did enhance the Magazine experience for those of us who were avid print subscribers and supporters of the work that Nat Geo do. This app update takes that whole experience backwards. Now when I travel I have to take my print magazines with me again. What were they thinking when they did this redesign? I can guarantee that they didn’t trial run the redesign with real subscribers. Such a disappointment that such a great organization should fail to appreciate the real needs of its customers and supporters. I don’t plan on cancelling my subscription because I still want to support so much of the great work that Nat Geo do. But I sincerely hope that they will re-think this application and get us a magazine application that in the words of their new president..”informs individuals, policy makers, corporations, foundations and other like minded individuals...” wherever they might be, connected or not.
This is an Upgrade? Ruined a great digital magazine experience!
Not surprisingly, I’ve been a National Geographic subscriber for years and jumped when they added the App. It was terrific - you could download entire magazines, which was great while travelling off the beaten path, or on an airplane. The media and audio additions added to the printed magazine experience. The navigation and matched layout to the print copy made it simple to switch back and forth from tablet to print without even needing to check the Table of Contents. It was wonderfully seamless! I recommended the App to all my friends because the extra media enhanced a great digital copy of the magazines. I could have my printed copy experience with added bonuses! When leaving comments with other magazines, I would recommend that they take notes from National Geographic.
Unfortunately, this “major update” seems more like a major re-write and downgrade to a glorified webpage. Instead of getting a digital magazine that I can conveniently take on-the-go, I get something closer to a bad version of the National Geographic website. I’ve gone back to the printed magazine and have had to warn off my friends and family.
I’m begging you, National Geographic, take us back to our previous state of bliss!
5 Star App to No Star App in One Update
Losing the ability to download issues is a major flaw in this update. No more reading offline while traveling. Even at home with an internet connection you better finish each article in one sitting or you have to re-download the article and scroll down to find where you stopped. Not to mention that even with a high speed connection each article takes a while to download and if you want to see a larger version of an image it takes at least 4 seconds to download the image then the caption goes away until you tap the image again. Oh, and if you are on a metered network each time you open an article you eat into your precious data limit.
Only slightly less annoying than losing the ability to download issues is the complete destruction of the readability of the magazine. Instead of smoothly scrolling through the issue you have to keep going back and forth between web pages.
How anyone on your product team thought this update was a good idea is a complete mystery.
- National Geographic Partners, LLC
- 119.3 MB
- Magazines & Newspapers
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © National Geographic Partners
- In-App Purchases
- National Geographic magazine $1.99
- National Geographic magazine $19.99
- National Geographic Magazine April 2012 issue $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.